Building a Camper Werner Alker

Fables and Facts from ACVW History
eddyr
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 49,53,56,57,67ect

Building a Camper Werner Alker

Post by eddyr »

Building a Camper

The Type 2 (Combi) has always attracted the outdoor people. Westfalia in Germany as well as Dormobile in England and others converted Combis into Campers.

But there were many who did it their way - and I was one of them.

The first ‘car’ I bought was a ’57 Combi Micro Bus. It soon became an all-rounder. I once pulled out a 7½ ton lorry out of a quarry.

I fitted a potent engine etc and used it for club racing, and of course for going camping.

Converting a Combi is easy and most can be done at home with few tools. It all depends on how far you want to go.

Curtains, a bed, storage space, music, a fridge etc is the typical set up. But when I bought my ’72 - 1600, I had bigger plans: I never liked struggling to put on my jeans half-sitting and half-standing, so I cut the roof off and fitted a fiberglass top, 20 cm higher than that of the ice-cream vans. All the sleeping was moved upstairs and could be reached by a ladder. The sitting was ‘in comfort’ downstairs with a removable fold-up table. Storage was plenty under the seats as well as in the back. The front seats were removed and fully reclinable seats were fitted. To add comfort, a shelf above the windscreen housed a radio tape, a t.v. set, and two storage bays for camera, binoculars, raingear etc. The front bumper was replaced with a bull bar, which could also adopt a fiberglass box in which a camping table, chairs and a gas bottle could be kept.

The rear bumper was removed and a tow bar fitted with a gadget that could carry a Honda mini-bike. Not to forget the fridge fully packed with beer.

What more can you wish for - hook up the boat, pack your stuff and off you are