What to sell this beetle for

Don't want to register but want to ask a question or post something aircooled for sale? Post here.
Tambotie

What to sell this beetle for

Post by Tambotie »

1973 1300 Beetle, what should I sell it to a family member
My dad purchased this beetle in 1986 from the 2nd owner and I inherited it many years later from my mom after my brother passed away. My brother took care of the vehicle and repaired and fixed it up (was never in a poor condition) that included the overhaul of the engine/ clutch, repair of the body and minor mechanical repairs. The vehicle is all original except the electronic ignition, tyres, radio and paint besides that its still the same my dad purchased it and is in good condition. capable of daily drive.

I am no longer living in the SA, my brother in-law who has looked after this vehicle for the last 4 years wants to purchase it as I regretably wont be returning to SA. On the internet I cannot find an honest price for it, the crazy range of pricing is ridiculous for this age of vehicle from R30k to ridiculous R120k. I want to ask my brother in-law a fair market related price. If you were in my shoes, what would be a fair market price for a vehicle that is old but in very good condition (popular to be used on weddings).

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: What to sell this beetle for

Post by Tony Z »

its a very difficult question to answer. Simply because at the end of the day, the bug is only worth what the new owner is prepared to pay. There is little to no "going market price" for these cars.

Personally, I'd hesitate a guess at 60 to 80k. Thats if the entire car works as well as it looks (which is pretty good) and it is rust free, with papers all in order.
You'll get a buyer tomorrow if you advertise it for 30k.
You might get a buyer at 120k but you'll have to wait for a while.
80k might take a month or 3 or 6
50k might take a couple of weeks
65k might take a month or 2

these are just my guesses. Maybe it puts my thought process into perspective and can help you in that way.
But since your brother in law has looked after it for the last 4 years, I'd say you owe him a bit... Maybe 50k is a good family price and maybe he can/cannot afford it? Have you asked what he can offer???
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

Tony Z wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:51 am But since your brother in law has looked after it for the last 4 years, I'd say you owe him a bit...
This! Storage would have cost you R70 to R1K per month....work out what you owe him and deduct from whatever you were hoping to get for the car
You can never have enough Garages :-(
Riaan.N
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1975 1600 TP Beetle
South Africa

Post by Riaan.N »

For me, the question would be how much do I love/like my BIL and sister?

Post by Guest »

Tony Z wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:51 am its a very difficult question to answer. Simply because at the end of the day, the bug is only worth what the new owner is prepared to pay. There is little to no "going market price" for these cars.

Personally, I'd hesitate a guess at 60 to 80k. Thats if the entire car works as well as it looks (which is pretty good) and it is rust free, with papers all in order.
You'll get a buyer tomorrow if you advertise it for 30k.
You might get a buyer at 120k but you'll have to wait for a while.
80k might take a month or 3 or 6
50k might take a couple of weeks
65k might take a month or 2

these are just my guesses. Maybe it puts my thought process into perspective and can help you in that way.
But since your brother in law has looked after it for the last 4 years, I'd say you owe him a bit... Maybe 50k is a good family price and maybe he can/cannot afford it? Have you asked what he can offer???
Thank you Tony for your advice that I will take under consideration, with a very sad hart to let het go but will be in good hands here after and for the next 30 years will be in the family.