Chrisbezui
Drip
What model do you have?: 1970 Lowlight
Facebook: Christiaan Bezuidenhout
South Africa

VIN and other numbers decode help

Post by Chrisbezui »

Hi all,

I need help decoding the details of the plate on my VW Bus as per the image.
I know based off the Serial number/VIN (240) it is a T2, Micro Bus Deluxe, 1970 - correct me if I'm wrong.
I need help with the model number, V.P.O No. (not sure if this means anything) and paint code (if possible).

The model number is 244, which according the The Samba, is Cargo doors left, right hand drive, full middle seat, but I'm not sure what exactly this means? Which seat does the middle seat refer to?

The paint code is 140/A, which does not help me at all.. I understand the there aren't many documentation available on the paint codes, so any assistance will be helpful.
I can add that the seller who re-painted the bus says it is the original paint (pictured). With a white top and (I think) beige body, but I'm not sure if this is correct at all.

Thanks!

sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Re: VIN and other numbers decode help

Post by sean »

Here are the colour options for 1970. As your vin states 140, it was Red originally.

It is a 1970 Deluxe model.

Strange being a 1970 but it has the later wheels with disk brakes as a 1971.
Chrisbezui
Drip
What model do you have?: 1970 Lowlight
Facebook: Christiaan Bezuidenhout
South Africa

Post by Chrisbezui »

Thans Sean,

I'm not sure I follow your last statement. What do you mean by later wheels? I'm still Mr. Clueless when it comes to these details.

And looking at the image I provided, is the colour split correct, or was the bus white up to just below the windows? I see that it differs from bus to bus, but not sure if this is stated in the colour code.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Buses had white roof and colour below until the end of 1972 model year in SA. From 1973 the colour split was at the waistline.

I can't view the image of your bus, but if it is indeed a 1970 as per the VIN, then the 5x112 stud pattern is incorrect; it should be 5x205 with drum brakes all round, but it's an easy upgrade to fit discs and later rear drums. In addition to the VIN plate behind the driver's seat, the VIN should be stamped on the horizontal bodywork to the right on the engine. 1971 models had a flare on the rear wheel arches, while 1970 and earlier models had a pressed lip.

VPO number, by my best guess, stands for vehicle purchase order, and provides no useable info. Middle seat refers to the middle of the three rows of seats originally fitted in the bus.

VWSA paint and upholstery codes can be found here.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
PAUL HAGUE
Drip
What model do you have?: T2a
Great Britain

Post by PAUL HAGUE »

Hi - here is my VIN plate & I know it is for a Microbus L, I am just not sure of the year as the serial number does not follow normal VW convention
The serial no. looks later than one identifield as a '70, yet I have been told it is a '68.
My bus has drum brakes all round with 5x205mm PCD wheel mounting. It has a metal sunroof & side door venting for the rear

Thank you if you can help & any other info would be appreciated