Please Help! I want a 356 Speedster Replica

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
SoulSurfer
Drip

Please Help! I want a 356 Speedster Replica

Post by SoulSurfer »

Guys,

I have been looking at the pictures that some of the guys have posted of there Speedster Replica's.

(Thanks to the likes of Rabid_ant and Flat4Fan for all the great pic's.
Rabid_ant, I just have to say: please don't paint your car red. The white looks so pimping!!)

You guys have said a lot about how to go about restoring these cars, which looks like a load of fun and very rewarding. However, I don't have the space to make this a hobbie, but would still love to own one of these stunning cars! 8)

There is a company who does them for about R125,000:
http://universal-products.co.za/356speedster.html

Does anyone know anything about them?

In reality I think that that is a little more than I can really afford, and I have been looking at second hand ones on autotrader.

Can anyone give me any tips as to what I should look for when buying one? I am hoping to spend up to R80000 for a good example. Do you think this is achievable?

There is currently one on autotrader for R77,000,
http://search.autotrader.co.za/www/cars ... 3184040500,
but it has blue interior trim which I don't like and also I think that the wheels look too modern.

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get the interior changed and replace the wheels with speedster wheels?

Also, I will be living in Mossel Bay and most of the cars seem to be in Gauteng. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have a car transported from Gauteng to Mossels?

Sorry for writing "War and Peace" on my first post. :oops:

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

Make a point of checking the car over in person, a pic will never tell the whole truth, and get someone who knows something about cars (a makkie) to take it for a spin and check over the mechanicals. Shop around, there are quite a few around. Check that all the paperwork is there and ties up with all the #'s on engine/chassis and no back licences. The more original the better.
Interior costs will depend on materials used and who is doing it.
To transport it you can use Unitrans the car needs to be driven to the train station and you then pick it up at it's destination. Cost me R1000 in 2005 to bring a car up from CT to JHB.
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
Rabid_ant
Clutch
What model do you have?: TBC

Post by Rabid_ant »

aahhh....greetings and salutations surfer. Good to know there are more Speedster lovers out there!!

I couldn't agree with calooker more on his comments. Be weary of who and where you buy from.....safer that sorry! I had a look at the manufacturer you posted and have to say i've never heard of them. (But they might be a good parts supplier ;)) Based on your budget, you shouldn't have a problem finding what you're looking for, i have to say, 125K sounds a tad pricy, but i suggest you have a chat to them. It might be for the high spec tubular frame with the Subaru engine. If that's the case, you might get the beetle based one a lot cheaper. You'll just have to do your homework.

I'll keep my eyes open to see if i can find one locally for you. I have to agree, not crazy about the blue!! I'm in the process of finding a good trimmer to sort my interior out, and may upgrade my seats to something a bit more modern....time will tell. When i get some prices i'll let you know! On the wheels front, not sure on prices. May be you'll have to bring something in or find a local supplier.

Honestly, the one for sale is not great. With all the changes to get it looking good, it would serve you better waiting for the right one, and probably at a cheaper price. They do come around!! i'll PM you my email address to stay in touch, Flatfour on the other hand is tending to his new project (baby).....a lifelong one. Im sure he'll be very helpful on his return to this world.
SoulSurfer
Drip

Post by SoulSurfer »

Calooker and Rabid_ant,

Thanks for your prompt replies. It gives me plenty to think about.
I will definately check any car out in person before making a purchase.

Calooker,
You say there are quite a few around. Do you mean they come up fairly frequently or do you know of some that are for sale at the moment? If so where can I find the details?

Rabid_ant,
I agree that it is worth waiting for the right one. (yours is a peach by the way!) But, I know what I'm like. I will probably get impatient and decide that I have to have one now!

Universal Products sell their Beetle based Speedster for R125,000. The spaceframe/Subaru version is more expensive. But I agree that they might be a good source of parts.

Please do stay in touch if you see anything that anyone is selling that you think may be suitable! I am in London at the moment, but will be moving back to Mossel Bay in September and then I will be looking for the car.

By the way. I don't have a garage. Is that going to be a problem with keeping the interior dry? Is it enough to keep the roof on with side curtains or would I need a car cover? Also, generaly how waterproof are the roofs for driving in wet conditions?
calooker
Donor
Donor

Post by calooker »

They come up fairly frequently, in the Auto Trader and Junk Mail. more now in winter when they just sit gathering dust as it is too cold to drive them for obvious reasons.
SoulSurfer
Drip

Post by SoulSurfer »

Thanks calooker. I will add Junk Mail to my list of places to check :)
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Project

Post by Chris »

If you look around you can find a nice one for a project.I picked up a 356 for a good price and did some work on it.Or do what I did and phone Kit Car Cenre in Jetpark and ask them if they know about a "cheapie",or an abandoned project.
SoulSurfer
Drip

Post by SoulSurfer »

Chris,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I don't have the space or the skills to make this a project. :(

I am hoping to get one that is already done, with the exception of minor mods, like changing the wheels.

If I can't find one I like, I might have to buy a fixer upper and give it to someone to do. Does anyone know a company (preferably Western Cape) that would be able to do it? Thanks for the tip on Kit Car Centre. Any info on such resources is welcome!
SoulSurfer
Drip

Post by SoulSurfer »

BTW Chris how about posting some pic's of your 356?
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

My 356

Post by Chris »

This was 5 year's ago.Some lucky a is driving it around in P-town

flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

Good luck on this, getting a nice one with all of the hard to find trim seems to be a bit of a problem nowadays.

All I can say is shop around and don't settle on the first one that you see. I picked up mine for R40 000 which was a steal even if I have to say myself.

R125 000 is too much. The going rate for a nice solid one with a few extras is about R90 000.

Don't try and get the exact car that you are looking for, interior can be changed for under R3000-00 and exterior can be resparyed properly for under R7000-00.

Good luck.

- G
SoulSurfer
Drip

Post by SoulSurfer »

Thanks FFF, It is good to know that the interior can be changed for about R3000. It makes it well worth doing to get the right look!

And the spray for under R7000 means that you can change the whole look of the car for ten grand. On my budget, this means I can buy one for R70000 and then change it to the colours that I want. :P
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

That's exactly why I bought mine like it was, the interior isn't really what I wanted, neither is the engine suspension or the colour...........lol. But it was solid and complete.

I'm going for blood red interior on a gun metal silver car with all of the bright work, my bill should hit about R80 000 including buying the car by the time that I'm done with it. The small things easily add R10 000 to the bill.

- G
SoulSurfer
Drip

Post by SoulSurfer »

Hey, does anyone know how where to get a new soft top from and how much it will cost?

I have got my eye on a the blue one that is now back on Autotrader at a reduced price, but the soft top has been repaired and I think it probably needs replacing.
calooker
Donor
Donor

Post by calooker »

Soft top will have to be custom, any auto trimmer will be able to do it and if you have the original one they can use it as a template, or for you to explain to them exactly what you need, price depends on material used and the quality of the workmanship, remember you can get something cheap but you get what you pay.