Rob's 72 Beetle CPT

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
RodderRob
Drip
What model do you have?: None

Rob's 72 Beetle CPT

Post by RodderRob »

Hello guys

My name is Rob and after 20 years of hard work in the IT industry, I have finally purchased very first student car :-)

The plan is to keep it as original as possible, but I am liking the look of the matt black on the car, just needs a few more chrome touches here and there. Mechanically, there is popped plug in cylinder number 3

My 72 standard beetle :hangloose:

This was the original state when I purchased the vehicle a week ago

So, over the last weekend, pulled the dash pad off, removed the white sticker off the speedo, fixed the interior light :D and rewired the headlights.

As you can see the speedo is looking a lot better going back to the original, and that steering will eventually be replaced with an original.

:zhelp:
From all the reading up I have been doing, the fuses seem to be either 8Amp (white) or 16 Amp (Red), but I seem to have an array of colours :shock:
can someone perhaps comment on why this done? Is this possibly someone just adding fuses albeit the wrong ones along the way, or are these changes been on purpose through upgrades? The only upgrade I can see on the car though is the electronic fuel pump, everything looks standard.

Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Re: Rob's 72 Beetle CPT

Post by Pine »

Hi Rob, and congrats on your first Beetle! I've found that if you ask the same question to 20 different Beetle 'experts', you will most probably get 20 totally different answers, leading to total confusion.

My personal advice would be to first get the car roadworthy and reliable. Get to learn how things work and why they are there. Go on long country drives, but carry basic tools with you. Get to learn the cars limitations. Check for potential fire hazards. Park it in a locked-up garage at night. Get 3rd party insurance for it but most of all - enjoy every moment in (or under) it!
RodderRob
Drip

Post by RodderRob »

Thanks Pine :D

The plan was to get the car on the road and driving as soon as possible. Yesterday I paid over R2956 just to get the license disc on the car up to date. Had to drive all the way out to Paarl yesterday which was a bit of the bother but my daily is a Lumina so always nice to get that out on the open road :D

Next step is to get the car in my name with a COR, but I have some work to do before I can even think about taking it through for that. Putting the bumpers back on (they were supplied with the car) would be required and adding front indicators would probably be preferential for the authorities :-D
Quite a bit of easy to fix and repair stuff though to get this car going again
RodderRob
Drip

Post by RodderRob »

Oh, the dream catcher was removed by the previous owner thank goodness :D :D :D :D :D

Got the front indicators working today and replaced the rather sad looking ground strap to the battery. Tomorrow I start sourcing the spares I need for this car.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

good luck with the project. Keep us updated as you make progress.
FWIW, you dont need bumpers to pass roadworthy
RodderRob
Drip

Post by RodderRob »

So today was re-earthing the back lights, they had some gremlins would work, then not, then if the lights were on, the brake lights wouldn't work etc... After some TLC, all working again :D NICE.

I was wise to start the wiring at the back, not looking forward to the front :shock:
Nice looking rats nest considering the wiring is supposed to be sooooo simple :D

Some dodgy wiring in the engine bay as well, nothing major, just seriously, if you want to do things on the cheap, how much is insulation really?

On the negative side today, found out that the fuel gauge doesn't work :oops: I guess that isn't that bad though :)

Hope everyone had an awesome day :D
Angelic_Mew
Drip
What model do you have?: Beetle

Post by Angelic_Mew »

Hey Rob,

Just created an account today after seeing your post. Don't be fooled by my nick, I get many people who think "it's a woman?". I'm a guy.

Anyway, there's a guy at my work who posted about his '66 Notchback here. I bought a some-time-ago beetle (Which I was told is a '75) and after more recent events I had to get the beetle going. The beetle was converted to have a 1200 Datsun motor and VW golf radiator. Long story short I was looking at his post and just wanted to see what else was on here.
So when I saw your post I just wanted to say that I'm also in the I.T. bizz in the CPT area. Been working for almost 8 years in I.T. now and I too have a Beetle which, after finally replacing the Datsun 1200 with a 1600 Twin port Beetle motor, is sort of in the same state. I thought my electricals looked bad in the front, but it's good to see someone sharing my pain. :P Also no working fuel gauge.
My beetle is however on the road already, but I still need to do some work on her. I'll be keeping track of this post of yours as the similarities got a good laugh out of me.
All the best to you and your beetle.
RodderRob
Drip

Post by RodderRob »

That's awesome news Angelic_Mew, congrats on your purchase :)
Perhaps you can start a thread and we can compare notes, bruises, nicks and cuts and not mention progress :-D
RodderRob
Drip

Post by RodderRob »

So I must say I am little disappointed today, bought some second spares from guy last week Thursday who advertises "Beetle spares" on Gumtree for the Western Cape.

After contacting the advertiser telephonically, I basically gave the guy a shopping list of spares that was required, but since my plan was to get the car on the road as fast as possible, I only needed certain spares right now to get the car through road worthy. The rest of the shopping list was cosmetic.

So he sent back a list of spares with prices.

My initial re-action on some spares were "sho, that seems a little pricy considering they're second hand" (Gut instinct 1 ignored). But I need those spares in order to get the get the car through road worthy, so let's get the one I require now...

Some emails later, arrange a meeting to collect the spares from the McDonalds or whatever in Wellington road, Bellville (Gut instinct 2 and alarm bell ignored). The Alarm bell / gut instinct would be for not meeting some at the residence or their place of business...
So got to the McSomething or whatever to meet with this guy and was presented with box of loose spares as part of shopping list that I needed.
All fine and dandy, spares on site, cash ready to go. The spares in question was an indicator/wiper assembly and windscreen wiper blade arms.

After seeing the spares (gut 2 instinct ignored), my immediate thought was this: "For such a premium price on second hand spares, does this guy not even clean or refurbish his spares?" They looked like they'd been pulled out of 100 year old beetle with the amount dust and dirt on them.
At this point I was feeling like I needed to walk away (gut instinct 3 ignored), but I need these spares to get through roadworthy, so just get them.

Sitting there, almost in disbelieve in the condition of those spares that he was presenting at the price he advertised, I asked the guy if they worked?
He said "yes they did work", which I didn't really believe because of the condition (again ignoring instinct 3).

So against all the better judgements, I went and did the sale, and even signed a receipt (like the guy actually pays tax on second spares, LMAO). On the invoice around half way down was a "S/H spares, no guarantee" which he obviously absolves himself from any responsibility when something goes wrong (Like the consumer protection act doesn't apply here, guess again a**hole). But of course, he seemed like a stand up guy, so I gave him my hard earned cash and left even though I still felt sceptical about the whole deal.

Whilst I was not incredibly impressed with the condition of the wiper arms (R250), I was more concerned with the Indicator/wiper assembly (R350). So, after installation last week Thursday, I was not surprised to find out that the indicator/wiper assembly came with some problems and not don't work as they should.
I was thinking to myself, this is what you get for ignoring ALL those warning signs and gut instincts. Yes, those prices in brackets are second hand, no cleaned, non tested, non refurbished prices (yes, I am that doff sometimes and I am feeling now, hence the vent).

So, I emailed (I won't mention Chris's email, since he seemed so nice (at the time) when we met telling me how he started Best Beetles or whatever informing him that the spare he supplied working, does he have another? I am still waiting for a response to my email (not that'll get one), but at this stage I am feeling like this guy has basically stolen my money. :twak:

I am sure that there could be loads of thought promoting comments on this, but, if I was selling something 2nd hand, if I wasn't sure of it worked, I would've said that it was either untested or I would've priced the unit accordingly (Like R50). But that's just me...

Guess at the end of the day, what I am peeved at is myself.... ignored all my ALL my gut feelings and get taken for a ride.... Feeling like a CHOP :x
slak
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Baja, Bay , Beetle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php

Post by slak »

U Only Live Once Right !!!
RodderRob
Drip

Post by RodderRob »

Yes, but the indicator assembly included the wiper assembly as well.
Angelic_Mew
Drip
What model do you have?: Beetle

Post by Angelic_Mew »

Hey Rob,

I'll check to maybe start a post later. I used to be heavy into forums in the past but not anymore.

As for the Gumtree buy, eish... I've seen a few of the "Best Beetle" hire cars on the road and I question their roadworthy-ness. However now hearing about what you went through I'll steer clear of there.
Thanks Slak for the Volkspare links. Will be adding those to a list. Other then that Rob I'd say maybe ask Flat Four Racing for parts? As someone like you, just starting out, I've been told to ask Goldwagen and Flat Four Racing.
However between Goldwagen, Good Hope Spares and Goldco I haven't had much success at getting parts. Thus far Flat Four Racing has been my "best" source. Some parts really low priced and others... not so much.

Gumtree I'd like to try and avoid. Too many stories of scammers and bad quality merch.
RodderRob
Drip

Post by RodderRob »

Here's the guys add, if anyone wants to avoid this guy...
http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkies ... 0726166209

I sent him an another email requesting that he either replaces the part with a working one or refunds my money.

If he doesn't respond, I will got through the process of the CPA.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

you really need to trust your instincts a bit more...
sad story.
Go visit him at his workshop - Durbanville, behind the Engen car wash
slak
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Baja, Bay , Beetle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php

Post by slak »

Another Good source for parts is Rui aka Calooker on the forum just pm him with the parts U need
and he can post or courier or whatever he does , but i have not been dissapointed with his service
or parts yet
U Only Live Once Right !!!