Realistic price for a bus

Come talk £%$ with us.
dewetventer
Drip
What model do you have?: none yet

Realistic price for a bus

Post by dewetventer »

Hi guys

Just a quick question . What is a proper price to pay for a baywindow pickup . I know of one . The bodywork is extremely nice only rust on thw bin and in the wheelwells .

Engine is stripped . Interior is very decent just very dirty . Dash has like two cracks on the one side . Otherwise its very neat . Wiring redone from the back halfway to the front but sounds to me like a bull story .

Has all the bumpers . Original rims . Windows not cracked .

Papers and still licenced.

fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Realistic price for a bus

Post by fig »

Welcome to ACVWSA dewetventer. Please tell us a little about yourself in the new members thread.

Regarding your question: as little as possible! Or, to put it another way, the same as the realistic length of a piece of string.

It's not really possible to value anything based on a description; you need to check the vehicle out carefully. Also, different people value different things. I value originality, even if the car is tatty; others might value shiny paint. A good mechanic may not care about mechanical condition; a bus novice may put a higher value on good mechanical condition.

Some general pointers: baywindow buses are generally worth upwards of R25k, right up to over R100k, depending on condition, configuration, etc. A good, solid mostly original late baywindow kombi is worth about R50k these days. Single cab pick-ups generally fetch the lowest prices, as they are in least demand. I haven't seen many baywindow SCs at asking prices above R45k, whereas an early bay Westfalia camper in good, complete, original condition is easily worth R120k. Double cabs are in much higher demand and they easily fetch double the price of SCs. However, pick-ups tended to be worked to death, so there are not many good survivors, but low demand means prices will stay low despite rarity.

From your description, I wouldn't offer more than R15k-R20k, perhaps even less. If it had an engine, maybe R25k-R30k. You should heavily discount a non-runner, because you can't test condition of brakes, transmission, even the electrics if you can't drive it.

If a single cab appeals to you then go for it. They are amazing trucks: huge load bed, huge secure storage under the load bed, easily carries its full one-ton capacity. Even though they're not ideal for camping and you can't use them to take the wife and kids anywhere, they are very practical and useful cars.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
dewetventer
Drip

Post by dewetventer »

HI Fig .

Sorry about not inteoducing myself . I forgot I am ussing a new profile . I was registered as boom first but that email adres was closed and couldnt recover the password .

Will post a new introduction .

The car is a 1970 Single cab baywindow . Looms to be an old shop truck for beatle beuties . No sides but I know where I can find a set . The engine is stripped and the heads have been done . Small rust patch at the right reat corner. And it has trailer tail lights . Will post a few pics .

I actually did buy it so hope I did t overspend
dewetventer
Drip

Post by dewetventer »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

I would certainly not pay anything more than R4 000 max. Anything above that and you have been ripped off.
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

If it is not too late....

Last night I saw a 1969 single cab being advertised on another forum. It is in Krugersdorp so not far from you.

Original motor in running condition just been standing for two years. Kombi is in primer and must be assembled but have all of the
original parts. Looking for R30K neg. Have got papers.

Neil Jansen Van Rensburg, 072 978 3792
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

sean wrote:I would certainly not pay anything more than R4 000 max. Anything above that and you have been ripped off.
Sean seems to live in a parallel universe of cheap buses that the rest of us can't find :wink: . However, on seeing the pics I tend to agree with him. R4k is barely more than scrap metal value; I'd say no more than R10k. I saw that bus advertised, but didn't think it was worth reposting here.

My apologies if our price estimates suggest you overpaid. Don't worry about it, just enjoy your new bus! You'll get lots of support here as you embark on your restoration. :hangloose:
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
dewetventer
Drip

Post by dewetventer »

Hey guys . Thanks for all the info and input . I pulled out of the deal as the price was just to high . He went down to 17 000 . I paid a deposit and went to inspect it again . Not worth it . Motor is in parts , heads done etc but has been standing without the motor for 2 years . Apparently wiring has been redone but doesnt loom like it. Interior however is in a really good condition . He adverrtised it again for R25000 . I suggested to him to get it running then he might reach his price.

Thanks for taggimg me in the photos buggyfan .

I will be at the auction in melville this afternoon to look at those single cabs
dewetventer
Drip

Post by dewetventer »

The bins on both are actuallyin very good condition . The white one seems to have papers , but is worse of . Undercarriage rotten quite badly . Both have motors etc . Will be able to make a one nice feom both parts . Will actually be able to build both .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

Did you bid on them? There's some interest in the auction thread on Vehicles For Sale re the prices these buses fetched.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult