NOT GOOD NEWS "Modifying your car is now 'illegal' "

Come talk £%$ with us.
Gerlach
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 1976 Type 1 beetle
South Africa

NOT GOOD NEWS "Modifying your car is now 'illegal' "

Post by Gerlach »

Cape Town - The motor industry is in uproar over the Cape Town traffic department’s efforts to clamp down on modified cars as part of their actions against illegal street racers.

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry- ... MJ3QkfF98H

Retrobug
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1962 Beetle

Re: NOT GOOD NEWS "Modifying your car is now 'illegal' "

Post by Retrobug »

I wonder how legal the police cars are :?
The two secrets to success: 1) Don't tell everyone everything that you know

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=24181
Loopy
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Loopy »

Retrobug wrote:I wonder how legal the police cars are :?
Normally the reply would be: Do as I say, not do as I do.

Cannot see how they can implement something like this, what about "sleeper" cars, that look stock, but are highly modified? Think this is somehow similar to the previous attempt to make the selling and trading of second-hand spares illegal, and that did not go down well with the public and the trade.
"What I would suggest is that you draw up a project plan and then prioritise the things you NEED to do linked to the budget you have." by Vader
Truer words have never been spoken...
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

I suspect it's always been illegal but, like most laws in SA, has never been enforced.

I wonder how your average cop would even know what constitutes a modification, legal or otherwise.

I think you'll find that they will pick on lowered cars and maybe those with noisy turbo wastegates.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

according to the article they will consider modifying anything that isnt as per manufacturer spec.
So how far does this go????
Only cars with lowered suspensions and different rims and tyres or will this include the 4x4 with raised suspensions and different bumpers for better entry angle?
What about having an exhaust fitted by Speedy? Or heck, even a paint colour that wasnt available that year?
A question about bakkies... are canopies specified in the manual?
What about re-treads on trucks? OR the Michelin man on top of the trucks cab like so many have?
Or does this law only apply to V-tecs, Citi's and GTi's???

A few years ago I went through the regulations to see what the law said about modifying. I stand under correction here, but I am sure that at the time the rules said engine modifying was legal unless the car was deemed too powerful for the vehicle. But there was no specification as to what "too powerful" was.
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

There has been a law on the books that says that any vehicle may not be modified from the spec as supplied by the manufacturer which technically means that adding number plates makes the vehicle illegal or changing the make of oil adding floor mats or even a radio this has been law since forever but rest assured unless the law enforcement officer knows all the parts numbers etc this law will stay where it has always been dead in the water and technically un enforceable but it has a nice ring for the politicians and newsmen.
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
Gerlach
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 1976 Type 1 beetle
South Africa

Post by Gerlach »

Now the question that i'm sitting with, my vehicle was on one of our family members name when he gave it to me. I did all the work on the vehicle till were it standing now with the looks and all. In 2011 this family member past away, so i needed to get this vehicle on my name. In 2012 i took my beetle like it is now, with mags, with the suspension, with the seats and all the other stuff, to a testing station, got tested, Policed clearance CLEARED , Roadworthy test PASS AND ISSUED and declare ROADWORTHY by the testing station with all my stuff, and under its Certificate of Registration , they state it as a BUILD-UP. So what now? Think i will need to make copy of this stuff and keep it with my car when i driving around.
slak
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Baja, Bay , Beetle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php

Post by slak »

This is just some guy that had nothing to do so he thought lets look at modified cars a bit
if U can only stick to what the manufacturer sells on the floor then a canopy on a bakkie is not std
a truck modified for waste removal or any other form of tipper ect. would be illegal come on
don't believe a word of it
It is just a foolish reporters statement i would like to see the facts in writing first before i believe a word a reporter says !!
U Only Live Once Right !!!
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

The source of this move is the Cape Town city cops cracking down on street racers. You can bet it will be selectively enforced against the lowered Vtec/Citi/BMW 3-series brigade.

In Germany, even the wheel and tyre sizes are noted on the registration docs and one can't deviate from original without approval from a TUV certified engineer.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

fig wrote:
In Germany, even the wheel and tyre sizes are noted on the registration docs and one can't deviate from original without approval from a TUV certified engineer.
True, but the fact is that you can modify as long as it is approved. Many "tuning" parts are sold in Germany with the TUV approval in the box - items like Recaro's, coil overs...
Also, every single vehicle on the road is 100% roadworthy and the rules are properly enforced.... unlike here.
hitlers revenge
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: buggy
Great Britain

Post by hitlers revenge »

Daring dragsters in Cape Town will get their just rewards with severe new traffic legislation pending.

Jail time, on the spot vehicle impoundment and even fines for spectators, are being mooted in this new traffic regulation planned for implementation before April this year.

For locals in many suburbs of the city, illegal racing has become the bane of their existence for years now, while law enforcers struggle to curb the activity.

Roads such as Klipfontein Road, Prince George Drive, Strandfontein Road, Old Paarl Road, the N1 and Sacks Circle, have become hotspots for such races, continuously endangering the lives of other motorists.

Stricter penalties

But this is all about to change says JP Smith, mayco member for the City’s safety and security portfolio.

He explains: “Currently we are able to arrest motorists and suspend vehicles from the roads if they are found to be illegally modified or unroadworthy, but that does not stop the racers. The new provincial traffic regulations will allow us to impound vehicles and impose stricter penalties on drivers found guilty of this behaviour.

“Something has got to give, because motorists are clearly not heeding our call to behave responsibly and, frankly, our existing penalties are clearly not a sufficient deterrent,” says Smith.

“We are also calling for more stringent impoundment fees for these vehicles and want to ensure prison time for the offenders. The act of being a spectator at the races also needs to be included, with a suitable penalty imposed.”

In upcoming meetings with provincial transport minister Donald Grant and the National Prosecuting Authority, Smith will raise certain significant cases with them, highlighting where the courts have failed to address this matter adequately and where repeat offenders have been let off too lightly.

Smith says it is apparent from these cases that prosecutors and magistrates do not understand the gravity of the behaviour.

“In the meantime, nothing will stop our officers from hitting the hotspots time after time and making life difficult for these lawbreakers,” he says.

Clearing confusion

Referring to an article in a Cape Town daily newspaper on Thursday, Smith set the record straight over incorrect assumptions made with regard to this regulation.

In the article it was stated that the City boosted legislation that would empower it to impound all modified vehicles.

This is not the case, Smith emphasised in a statement issued.

“The city has no designs on legally modified vehicles,” he stated.

“For the record, the City’s Traffic Service is mandated to enforce the provisions of the National Road Traffic Act - a national piece of legislation which states that any modification of or tampering with a vehicle’s safety design renders the vehicle unroadworthy unless it is done by the manufacturer or a registered body builder.

“In addition to the National Road Traffic Act, the South African National Standard is extensively used by our motor vehicle examiners when conducting roadworthy checks on vehicles. This act is very specific on unroadworthy issues such as suspensions and springs, steering columns, vehicle headlights and fog lamps, tinting of windows, and brakes.”

Smith says the City has no issue with motor vehicles that have been modified legally and in line with the legislation and standards, as outlined.

“What we do have an issue with is the large number of vehicles that are modified illegally, rendering them unsafe,” he says.

- TygerBurger
Why do we celebrate the guy that invented the wheel??
Surely we must celebrate the guy tat invented the other three
Retrobug
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1962 Beetle

Post by Retrobug »

The two secrets to success: 1) Don't tell everyone everything that you know

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=24181
Riekert
Camshaft
What model do you have?: 1964 Notch

Post by Riekert »

Hahaha. Well one thing I can say is most of the traffic cops in hermanus would be in crap if this 'law' passed here. As they have cars with aftermarket 17"s ect. So for once its good to live here.