My new Panelvan - Chucky

No not Dalmations, pictures of ACVW's you spotted!
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Re: My new Panelvan - Chucky

Post by jolas »

jccrafford wrote:I just took him for a police clearance after buying him and then took him for a wash to reward him for passing. And have a look who pulled up in the washing Bay next to him
And look whats behind in the background :D !

Please, more pics of that panelvan asap :hangloose:

by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
hendriks
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 71 bay

Post by hendriks »

Looks good!! more pics please!!!
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Did you buy that from Carl? If so, great panelvan and congratulations!

I hope you aren't the guy who wanted to paint it matt black?
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
jolas
Donor
Donor

Post by jolas »

So nice to see an unmolested og panelvan, no windows hacked into it and all the rest - congrats :hangloose:
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambabus
Short Block
What model do you have?: Classic campers

Post by Sambabus »

Nice,..congrats on the bus
"ALL THAT LIVES IS BORNE TO DIE........NOTHING REALLY MATTERS." Robert Plant-Led Zeppelin.

"Crime is still goverments priority." SA Police spokesperson

RESPECT,EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE LOSING IT!!!
YvaneS
Pushrod
What model do you have?: :)

Post by YvaneS »

Great looking Bus,

Please dont destroy the bus, Black paint, sound system...oh no :whip:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

jccrafford wrote:Sorry YvaneS, must I rather leave the forum if I don't leave it original?
LOL! Don't take it personally jc. It's your bus and you can do as you please ... or maybe not ... some believe we are merely stewards not owners, and it's our duty to preserve these pieces of SA motoring heritage. YvaneS is just sharing his point of view. You don't have to agree with him. He has no authority to tell you what to do with your car.

You are free to ignore everyone else's point of view, but many of us have a high appreciation for faded original paint on a rust-free car like this one. You don't find straight, dry, original paint panelvans every day. Personally, I would pay more for that bus in old original paint than newly painted in black. I'd also pay more for it with an uncut dash. If it were mine I'd polish the original paint and maybe touch up small spots as necessary to prevent rust and enjoy it as is. I never really liked that early 70s VW khaki green until I bought my 71 single cab in that colour. It has since grown on me and I really like it now.

Having said that, I recently had two of my buses repainted and only partially in original colours, to suit my taste. I haven't had any negative feedback, but maybe people have just been "polite".

This is just my point of view. YMMV.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

jccrafford wrote:I joined this forum because I thought I can meet people with a similar interest, a place where I can feel at home
Welcome home
:mrgreen:
eahmod
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1973

Post by eahmod »

Hi JC
I really love your bus and I'm sure all of us, YvaneS included, are genuinely happy for you. Dont let one experiance or opinion taint your outlook on the rest of the forum, take it as light banter, respond as such and move on. If you want a Turquise/pink three tone dash with a 'Pimp my Ride' entertainment system with an 8 track player DO IT :TIC: , after all its your vehicle. :hangloose:
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

thanks boet, its been a lot of work
Good luck on your project and keep the pics coming!
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

JC nice pair of Kombis, go to the show and trust me you will enjoy the show and the people you will also see cars that don't appeal to your taste that life so take your family and enjoy.
Remember that the Forum has good tastes and bad that is how all forums work so go and enjoy and keep us informed on your progress with the P/van.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

jccrafford wrote:......... This must be a place where we feel at home..........
Do not know your home, but in mine, there is always comments flying around,...

....but .....

....there is always still love between its members, so as Tony said.......

.....Welcome HOME

We all have a Aircooled addiction, some want it totally original till its painful.

Some have it as close as original within our budget.

Some of us have it as visibly original, to bluff the man in the street, but with a more pleasurable ride.

Some of us just change it to our needs as a fun ride.

some pimp it to high heaven, till its unrecognisable as a VW

But in the long run, its not standing under a tree rusting to :bn: , and then landing in some scrapyard, ready for becoming one of the new Chinese washing machines.

So save the bus, in any way or form you want, when you done with it, it will still be there for someone to restore to ORIGINAL.

have fun with it, and save it for the next generation..........

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
jolas
Donor
Donor

Post by jolas »

jccrafford wrote:Thanks for the reply Fig, YvaneS reply really left a VERY bad taste in my mouth. I joined this forum because I thought I can meet people with a similar interest, a place where I can feel at home because I share the same passion than they do. Now I get attacked because my ideas are different from theirs. I didn't attack anybody else because they think different from what I do, I respect their decisions and opinions and won't try and make negative comments on a public forum because of their opinions.

Of course I will ignore him, I personally think he has no manners, he could have send me a pm...but no. The end result. He cheesed off a new member of the forum (I joined a year ago but started contributing this week) to the point where I feel unwelcome and that I must rather leave. I have my first meeting with a VW club in Pretoria that I want to attend tonight, but at this stage I am seriously thinking that I must rather not go and get involved with other VW owners, I am scared I am going to get the same negative response and feel unwelcome there. My wife and my child is also going with, and I don't want to submit them to that.

YvaneS...thank you, you really changed something that was special to me (Joining this forum and chatting to likeminded people) into a very negative experience.

We have different opinions, but the same love for old VW's, there are very few of us, other people sometimes think we're mad to spend so much money on old Kombi's (some of my friends certainly do...LOL) This must be a place where we feel at home...Why don't we rather say something if it's positive?
Wow man, chill out JC - are you serious ??? This would be one heck of a boring place if all we did was praise each other for this and that :lol:

You posted a pic of a good looking original panel van, going through roadworthy, etc, etc, etc. Eye candy and good music to any bus lovers ears. And shortly thereafter you say you're going to paint it black and so on and so forth - immediate alarm bells ringing for us "purists" - we really are an irritating bunch of aunties - really :twisted:
Some of us (the non-contraversial types who usually pull out the popcorn and watch the ensuing tit-for-tat show, until someone "leaves" the forum or the thread eventually gets locked), are saddened when we see something like this happen to a good original condition example. Yeah yeah yeah, its yours and you can do what you like with it, yes that is true, still its sad to see this happening.

Yvannes, (ok perhaps he was a tad too quick on the keyboard) simply expressed what many of us were also thinking - but us popcorn eaters just keep quiet, shake our heads, feel sorry for the vehicle in question, and move on.

Please don't leave the forum. You've been here for a year, so you must have seen a few sparks flying here and there in that time, we are just a tiny representative of the rest of the world out there ....... No one hates you *(yet :twisted:) Please keep the pics of your project coming. Some of us will hate it, some of us will feel sorry for it, some of us will absolutely love it - thats furking healthy man !!!

Tell us more about that red early bay bus lurking in the background there 8)

*just joking :zhelp:
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

retrovan wrote:
jccrafford wrote:......... This must be a place where we feel at home..........
So save the bus, in any way or form you want, when you done with it, it will still be there for someone to restore to ORIGINAL.

Herman
Unfortunately this is not true. Once the damage is done, it will NEVER be original again. You can only make it look original again. The damage is done.

Jccrafford, what you are doing is considered a crime when it comes to preserving vehicles from the past.
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

So be it,it sounds like you don't belong here anyway.