MyType1'75? clean-up morphed into a rebuild!

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
hentysnr
Drip
What model do you have?: 73 & 74 Beetles

MyType1'75? clean-up morphed into a rebuild!

Post by hentysnr »

Hi Guys
Thought I would share my what started as a "clean-up" exercise and has now somehow become a rebuild :shock: Exactly where the transition took place I have yet to determine! but having said that I am now thinking of "frenched" tail lights and stuff like that. Like so many of my projects and I have several on the go, there is no exact plan, but one thing leads to another and another. This project started with me aquiring the car after it had an engine fire. Sorted that out and the engine ran beautifully smooth and that lead to further investigations and so it progressed and now I am here as per the pictures. A complete restoration seems to be on the cards. As I do everything (Except final paint) myself, things happen on weekends only between car shows etc. Anyway here are some stripping down pictures of my beetle. Please I will appreciate ANY advise, ideas, suggestions, warnings and so on, thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hentysnr
Drip

Re: MyType1'75? clean-up morphed into a rebuild!

Post by hentysnr »

The never ending patching of rust is ongoing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hentysnr
Drip

Post by hentysnr »

Ok, so at last got back into my cave to do some work, almost forgot what the place looked like, thin layer of surface rust on milling and lathe beds, dust :( Anyway looked at the rear patch panels I had made and decided to remake them. Ended cutting out the entire rear vent valence so that I could sand blast all the CO2 extinguisher powder out of the vents, this stuff is SERIOUSLY corrosive dammit!Chowed holes the size of matchheads into the block :shock: All the paint is stripped off the car basically down to bare metal. I Want to sandblast and immediately epoxy prime all the spots where the corrosion has caused some pitting, the only way to stop further corrosion in my opinion?? Any comments advice on that one, let me know please.

Here are some pictures:
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Looks like plenty work... good luck

Keep the pictures coming
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

hentysnr wrote:................... this stuff is SERIOUSLY corrosive dammit!Chowed holes the size of matchheads into the block..................s advice on that one, let me know please.
As this stuff is a chemical, you can sand blast it off, but would still need to neutralise it, I would then wash it off with bicarbonate of soda

The co2, is inert, as long as you do not mix it with water, then it becomes an acid,

Scrub the new sandblasted area with a strong solution of bicarb, and then rinse off, dry fully, treat with rust converter, wipe off, flat lightly, then coat.

Hope this helps

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
hentysnr
Drip

Post by hentysnr »

Hi Retrovan
Sadly this car stood abandoned for 4 months in a parking lot after the engine fire and with the rear vent valence being rotted through the rain got in everywhere and that is what started the corrosive process. I eventually traced the owner in Sweden and got the car off him, long story, now it's mine, was a "student car" on the Rhodes campus for nearly ten years! sold between students as years went on, still do not know how I am going to license it. Have another set of papers I can use :twisted: It will be 100% rust free when I'm done with it. Want to red oxide inside all the hidden and patch panels, have not decided on exact way forward with the rebuild might add a few personal touches????. Even if I keep it 100% stock I will never get back the money I have put into it, like my Corvairs, who cares, I enjoy them and the whole process involved.

A matched pair of down draught delortos se-up by Pickford Pettit (PE) specifically for a VW 1600 twin port came across my path the other day, so thought mmmm, that would look nice :o. Need to chat to TonyZ to find out what are the basics to get the stock heads to breathe a bit better otherwise no real point in fitting them I guess? Am not really into hi performance stuff but do enjoy a bit of extra oomph!

Here some more pics of other sandblasted and cleaned bits....
hendriks
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 71 bay

Post by hendriks »

hi

keep them pictures coming - looking good!!!
hentysnr
Drip

Post by hentysnr »

Hi Guys
This is a very sad day in my life :( . I have decided to call it quits with my rebuild. As you can see my last post was in May 2014. I just simply have too much on my fork. I have another two Corvair Coupes that are in various stages of being rebuilt as well. Work is killing me, our work load is simply unbelievable and has been for the last two years. There are Civil/Structural Consulting firms that have no work and we are bursting at the seams. So what am I to do, how does one go about disposing of what I have in my bug.

I will try and summarize the situation. The car was a daily runner when I got it, (not quite true, had an engine fire, I sorted that out and the car was running perfectly again. Some wiring and air-cleaner damage) it was a student "campus car" in Grahamstown EC, it was being sold off by one student to another with no paperwork over a period of about 6yrs.

At present the car is as follows:
Body has been stripped down to bare metal, the car has not been in an accident, ding on door from other cars etc, two small body filler patches visible. Will have to look were they are.
I have manufactured all the replacement panels needed. Rust around the rear window where those sound blocking pads were. I will mig weld in replacement panels neatly if needed.
Floor pan RH side needs replacement cut out already.
All the parts are boxed and labelled.
All glass is in tact, all the rubbers are shot doors and glass.
Had a fairly new set of carpets, proper thick black automotive carpeting neatly trimmed.
Seats will need to be reupholstered but are not ripped or torn.
All the engine tin work has been sandblasted but is now showing signs of surface rust.
RH tail light lense broken and needs new headlights.
I will be able to refit the wiring harness but I do not know if the next man can. Depends on your level of skill and patience, not really that difficult.
The pan/chassis is in rolling condition and the body is mounted on a robust trolley with revolving castors.

I need to sell all of this to one person as the the car was complete.
I have a heavy duty car trailer and am prepared to deliver anywhere as long as the buyer foots the fuel bill. Toyota 3l D4D tow vehicle.
I am happy to forward 100's of photo's send me your e-mail address.
If I am going about this the wrong way please let me know, I will listen to any advise :zhelp: . Please read the thread from the beginning to get some more background.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who is interested in a fair deal :!:

Kind regards