My 356. Now sold.

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Re: My 356.

Post by acpaterson »

Jaa I bought the strip for the Carpet there, so will go get a strip this weekend..
I used the same holes the Bumper was originally in,s o good chance it's out. And it'll be a PITA to fix, so will leave it for now.

flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

It seems that all of these cars are out. Mine looks like the car has had a stroke at the best of times.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

From your roof building experience, is it at all possible to get the two hoops into the rear seat cavity without the adjustable hinge, or must that hind swivel?
And can you bend the Pipes by hand or do you need a pipe bender?
Muderick
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 65T2 66T1 72T2 73T2

Post by Muderick »

flatfourfan wrote:Hey Alan.

is the bumper on skew?

distance from indicators doesn't look the same to the bumper...........left side looks off.

Considering putting a alli edge on the threshold rubber, really does finish it off and it costs nothing. Carpets came out nice. What did you end up paying for them anyway?
First off Alan...your ride looks mint and that red really pops now in the Cape sun!!

@Gary.... I noticed it too and thought it was as result of the slight body lean to the left, or to the right as we look at the picture...

I used MS paint and plotted a straight line across the top of the bumper from left to right and that stayed perfectly level and straight. Looks as if the bumper is quite straight.

The lean I refer to can be seen by the level line from top of headlight to top of other headlight....

Alan... were the front indicator holes filled up when you had the tub painted and then remeasured and drilled? It looks to me that the area of difference is around the drivers side indicator /grille unit. It looks out when compared to the left one or vice versa.

Maybe im wrong but I know these types of things are a PITA and really nags at you all the time...

CLICK ON THE PIC TO ENLARGE...

Muds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old School or Bust!
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

acpaterson wrote:From your roof building experience, is it at all possible to get the two hoops into the rear seat cavity without the adjustable hinge, or must that hind swivel?
And can you bend the Pipes by hand or do you need a pipe bender?
There is a bit of a bracket that comes with the replica rear hoops that allows it to collapse to a point where it will go down and it's possible to get it all low enough for a tonneau to fit smooth, but you pretty much have to roll the bastard up like a scout tent to get it down.

You need a hinge and swivel point to properly pull the rear (C) hoop in deep enough with the material on. It's possible to weld a tab on the base of the replica hoops and a bracket to the car.

You can bend them by hand and this is how I did my first ones. I use a jig and tool now.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

The Indicators were fitted according to the doc I got from Manny. headlights fit into a housing, so they can't be moved. I'd have to say the bumper is probably slight off, and possibly, there could be a subtle rideheight difference in the front, as well as the Camera not being 100% horizontal, a number of factors.
Manny
Donor
Donor

Post by Manny »

Hi, Alan I verified this using AutoCad and Klonk imaging software, the bumper is skew, well not quite skew it might be twisted, take note these fiberglass bumpers twist quite a lot so it might be a case of adding a support on each side where it wraps around the fender, the support can be nicely concealed under the deco strip, first check to see how much it twists, you might notice twisting the right side upwards might lower the left side.
Nevertheless the car is looking awesome, well done!
Bumper Ali.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Manny, I think it's discrepancies in the body, as the Bumper isn't twisted, and it's flush against the bottom of the body, so it seems one light is slightly lower than the other.. But not by much. :wink:
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Update.
I did use the same original hole, and as the Bumper's mounting Bolt is glassed into the bumper, and it's OFF MIDDLE, so the bumper sits too high one the right hand side. easy fix. :hangloose:
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

now there's something that I didn't expect.

Mine just has an indentation, no bolt glassed into the bumper.

Man I bet that you're relieved.....
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Yip. The Long Bolts were glassed to the inside of the bumper, and the right hand side is slightly lower. I basically need to drill the holy in the body downward and fill the top part of it, which will set the height of the bumper to the same height as the left hand side. But let me tell you, the rain has arrived down here once again. Ill sort it out shortly. Yep, very relieved.
Mustang Sally
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Porsche 356 replica

Post by Mustang Sally »

Jeez Alan, SHE looks beautiful!
The site's been logging me out all the time so I haven't been able to see the pics. Hugely frustrating! Seems to be back on the air now, so can continue to admire your handywork - Inspirational! :hangloose:
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Shot man, jaa, very pleased with the finish. Now if only Winter can piss off so we can go out for a ride one weekend.. ;-)
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Managed to whip off the front bumper and fix my skewness.. Bloody hell.. Can't believe I didn't see that, but it's all level now. Also installed the last of the Aluminium finishing strips on my door entry sections, so thats also finished for now.
Ordered some replacement hooter grills and a Chassis Plate "badge" from SM, should now be the last parts I'll need to import for my car.

Posted an Advert on Gumtree a week ago looking for other Speedy owners here in Cape Town, what an interesting swing that add brought. I bought another VS Tan Roof which Bossie picked up for a STEAL as I needed to replace the two hoops for my car, as mine had been sat on, were stuffed. Congrats on getting a Tan Top and some real side curtains for almost half price dude. Glad I could help out there.

Besides that, I've had a couple of offers on the car, and a couple of people wanting to build one, or if I know of anyone selling a speedster.. So, possibly Garth will get some new business along the way.
Still no one else responded that actually HAS a car down here, bummer, but we'll see what Summer brings.

Getting my new Motor headwork done as we speak, and with the help of Mr T, will be dropping the motor in the next few weeks, and adding some more lip stick to it, as well as the go-faster heads and new Shroud. He's going to look bloody spliffing when it's all finished, and hopefully, has a little more oomph as well. Mr T will hopefully assist on the fine tuning thereafter.

Last part will be to assemble\glue my VS Top together and to get that to fit properly. Apparently I'll need to make a swinging type hinge to get the hoops to sit down in the rear recess area, as I want the VS tonneau to cover the roof and hoops\bow properly, and to be flat. I'll more than likely remove the assembled roof and just keep it in the garage in case one day I do sell the car, it'll at least have a functioning roof.. But otherwise, it's not required as far as I'm concerned. I will probably make new "cruisin" perspex windows that can be easily put on or removed, which will hopefully help reduce a bit of the buffeting when out driving the car. low cost experiment really, otherwise, it's basically finito as far as the rebuild project goes. More or less 8 months in total. Not as long as my BMW R100 Cafe Build took, but still, glad it's done, and I can now use it whenever required.

Will post some engine pics once done.
8)
Heron
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: VW

Post by Heron »

Wow. This is a nice project. Would love to buy it? You wanna sell and start the next project? I can see my wife in it in the next rally.