My 356. Now sold.

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
arnocill
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: beamish buggy

Re: My 356 Speedster - Arrived. and off we go...

Post by arnocill »

Hloni wrote:You don't need roadworthy to change ownership. Will get registration papers WITHOUT disc (pending COR).
Hloni is right.I had my beach buggy registered in my name for about a year without a roadworthy while I was rebuilding it. I only took it for rwc in the begining of the year and received the license disc. I think somebody is is bull :bn: you. But on the other hand if you can get the rwc done it's one less thing to worry about.

acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

I'd rather want the car in my name, disc up to date and all correct than having to go and redo things. It's a peace-of-mind thing.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

Good Luck Alan

That strip along the bottom of the window, is the trim a stick on part or embedded in the rubber?
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

oookk, not too bad.
Motor is a replacement, which wasn't updated on original Paperwork, so I'm off to get a Police Clearance on the Motor. Problems found:
Front Steering, right at the bottom of the steering rack I think there's a coupling which has too much play.. So will attempt to grease it up and tighten it up. Front tyres are dead, no surprise there. Motor's "wet" but ok. (Dammit I hate leaky vw's..) :evil: , Headlights are a little too high, my fault, and easy fix.. ( those 2 nut spacers under the lights weren't needed after all... :lol: )
Also had to have the car "Data Dotted".. Very interesting.. Anyway, it's done now, off to get Police Clearance, then 2 or 3 days to resolve my issues, and then back to confirm all is good, and finally, Registration Papers.. So, all good I guess, except for the Motor issue.. I'm def going to want that out and "fixed" in the near future down here.

That beading is stuck onto the rubber, same as whats along the side of the car. I think i've found the suppliers of all those parts, and will replace them all when the car's been resprayed. :hangloose:

Cheers
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Good news then, not as bad as what you thought.

The PO should of sorted out the paperwork on that engine before he sold the car.

RE: the strip, do yourself a favour and get the beetle side trim for the car, it looks way nicer than the stick on stuff and it really looks the part.

Midas should have that strip stuff in packs.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Whew, what a day.. What I thought would be a quick hour's admin finished here just after 4:00..
Between Traffic Dept and Police Depot in Stikland, I came home to change, Temp at 28, and I was sweating without the roof, ahem..
Get HALF WAY there, Somewhere near Monte Vista, and the car is going worse and worse, Motor's struggling to maintain speed in 4th, it smells like I'm burning.. Brake pedal has god solid ALL THE WAY UP!!! So, it's started to bind, was obviously way to high, and the heat and rubbing just overheated the fluid.. Decide to crawl home, as I have no tools on-board.. All the way back to Parklands, along N7, off after Killarney and up the new link road. I don't even need to touch the brake pedal when I come to robots, thats how tight it was.. Motor's pinging away as well with the strain, and the fact it's still on Highbveld tuning..

Make it home, and it smells hectic, like the Racing cars at Killarney after a race, they tick and click and eminate heat and fumes.. I touch the wheel caps, rear ar enormal, but fronts are KAK hot.. so screw driver wedge them off, and the smoke is wafting up from the drums. Jack up car, find the wheel adjuster through the hole in the drum and crank.. turned them at least 1 1/2 to 2 full turns, top and bottom. Wheel spins freely.. Opposite side, same story.. Loosen, wheel spins.. Get in and press Brake, goes to about half down, much better.. Also get 10 socket, loosen disti, and nudge it forward a tad.. Rev's sound ok, tighten, and close up.

Pouring with sweat, dash inside, grab a baseball cap, my manbag, all paperwork, and go. Car runs much better, so the timing's obviously out, but the free spinning wheels are perfect, fly to Stikland.. Drive into yard, just after 1:00, must be lunch, queue of around 15 cars.. so jump in queue and sit.. Just past 2:00, I get to pull up the ramp into the workshop.. I've been roasted like a Duck! The No roof thing I'm not used to..f arkit..

Get to the front, guys all make a scene over the car.. We get the number sorted, paperwork goes in, and I go sit, almost 2:30.. They call my name.. Get to the WIndow, ready to get sorted and go, lady asks for ID Book, confidently in my manbag, and panic sets in.. no ID Book... what the F$%K!.. Why is it not here.. She's staring at me, won't accept drivers licence card, I'm thinking I left it at the Traffic department.. She says go fetch, we close at 3.. It's quarter to, and I've got to go from Stikland to Milnerton!!! :evil:

On my way, I realise I changed from "office" clothes to shorts and a tee, the ID book's in my Shirt.. Nail it home, Car's now getting more fun to drive, except it floods at robots and I struggle to start it.. My chance timing's not so good.. Get home, give up on the car, too hot. now just after 3:00. Call them, confirm they're still there till 4, but no new cars in after 3, I should be ok.. Grab book, Helmet, and haul ass on my Burgman.. Get back to Stikland 20 past 3, nip through closing gate, up ramp, stop, and run to windows.. Woman says sit, they'll call my name...

Eventually all goes through, papers signed, I leave, just after 4:00.. Cruise home.. What a schlep of a day.. I'm knackered.. But, except for focussing headlights, and fitting new tires, I should get COR Saturday morning, and possibly also get Registration done at Milnerton Traffic.. Then it's done and in my name, roadworthy, legal..

Just need to tune timing properly, but no timing light.. so going to ask Jesse Huggett to help with the dual carbs.. See what he says.

Where would you find beetle side trim? Lemme try Shelleys again..

Cheers
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Hi you should check that the pedal has about 12mm free play before it engages the mc otherwise you block the return and cause brakes to stick
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
Firebird
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 356Speedster Replica
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

Hi AC !
Awesome car! Glad you got everything sorted.
Get beetle side trim, get two sets because the front fender set is too short for the speedie so you use the extra two beetle rear fender strips on the front fenders of the speedie.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Friday update.
Haggled with a guy on Gumtree, but got 4 x Michelin's, 75% tread still good for 1200 bucks.. Just need to get them fitted, and the front suspension camber\alignment sorted now. Borrowing a timing light to get the timing down here sorted so the car runs smooth, I've got a slightly sticky throttle cable, and a really annoying squeek front clutch at first take on the pedal, sounds like it's under the handbrake.. impossible to reach. I think the conversion involved some butchering along the way.. But I'll try and sort it out.
Lastly, headlights have been set back down, will use their machine at roadworthy to set them correctly. Then I believe it'll pass, and I can get a Certificate.

Also decided to make my own Teardrop lenses.. Pricing is stupid for small pieces of plastic. So have bought some Silicone and clear resin from local Composites shop, as soon as my replacement rubber kit arrives from flatfourfan (Gary) he's also lending me his straight, but faded lenses to mold.. So we'll see how that goes. Hopefully I'll be able to make re-pop lenses for around R 300-00 a pair..

Pitty the forum is so quiet tho.. I mean, there are only like a handful of enthusiasts in each segment here, Porsche, Bus, Beetle etc.. Not many other owners online tho..

Oh well.
Last edited by acpaterson on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

good luck with your roadworthy

it is end of year plus its summer. Things quieten down a bit when people start having a good time...
Me, I am stuck at work, so I'll be here through Xmas and the new year.

Sounds like we will have to arrange a get together so you can come show off your new toy ;-)
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

white_356 (Gary)?

Hey?

tut tut tut..........lol.
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Sqeacks from under the handbrake means that the clutch tube has broken loose in the pan This should be sorted asap as the rest will also break loose leaving you with no clutch. fix is by cutting a hole using a hole saw in the side of the pan just to the rear of the handbrake and welding a strap to the tube and to the pan. quite fiddly but an easy fix BTW this happens to most pans sooner or later and 914's too. A very good solution for lenses is to paint them with Automotive clearcoat when new as clearcoat has UV inhibitors which protect the plastic. even casting resin fades and is helped by this.
Armand
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

flatfourfan wrote:white_356 (Gary)?

Hey?

tut tut tut..........lol.
:oops: sorry man, flatfourracing, you know what I mean.. (NOW I remember why I use my name on Forums.. absolute confusion...)

@ Armand,

thanks man, I was essentially going to cut a hole in the tunnel just behind the Handbrake to "get into and fix", and then once down, cluse it with a aluminium cover and some screws etc.. I'll go in from the side (Passenger side) and see whats what.. it's clearly something rubbing somewhere JUUUST as you engage the clutch, or release it.. kak aggrovating, and must be fixed.. Thnaks for your suggestions.

Alan
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

I cut an inspection hole with a grinder, bent it open, welded a tab onto the pipe and the tunnel and then welded it back up again. Just gives that little more space to work. I know that some guys in here have actually just made a removable panel so that you can get back in if need be. Mine broke loose up front by the first tab just next to the pedal assembly. Like armand said, you want to get this sorted asap, cause it'll break the rest.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Cool, will probably cut it open tomorrow also using Grinder, or possibly Jigsaw. Is there anything I need to be aware of that I could cut which opening up the top of the tunnel, or is it ok to go at it? Can you guys perhaps confirm exactly where this tab is located? is it literally just behind the Handbrake? Would I not cut handbrake lines then?

Edit. Just found some detailed articles online. Kak job.. But ok, I have to get this sorted.. So, we'll attack this weekend. I need a welding machine.