1.8 T3 motor in Baywindow

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
jakeaird
Drip
What model do you have?: autovilla

1.8 T3 motor in Baywindow

Post by jakeaird »

Always like to pick the brains of all you clever techies out there. I have just finished my crossover camper restoration, and have bought a 1973 one owner bay minus engine and gearbox, with a view to fitting a 2 litre golf engine. I have been offered a complete 1.8 engine and box from a T3, the one that is slanted at an angle, with all ancillaries for 12k. Has anyone fitted this in a bay, as it looks very wide, with the engine mountings fitted to the sides of the block, and the starter motor at the top of the bellhousing. Does it need a lot of engineering/cutting to fit it? The advantage seems to be not having to raise the top of the engine bay, and a properly matched gearbox. One idea I have is to fit the radiator at the front, but inside a rigid spare wheel cover sourced from a 4x4 and drilled to allow airflow, as per the Danbury conversion, as I think it is aesthetically pleasing, There seems to be a lot of experience with the 2 litre engine to tap into as it is a common conversion. Any advice/opinions would be welcome, TYSM.

Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Re: 1.8 T3 motor in Baywindow

Post by Bugger »

We are buzy with a 1800 20V Audi Turbo motor with the sleepy sump etc as you are looking at , in my Partners DC Bay window
So far had to cut away the top section where the mountings is for the bell housing as the starter sits on the top side of the sleepy motor bell housing
then we did our own back cross member mountings that will be used
Have not yet put the motor in the engine bay to check all but sure it will fit
The radiator will be 2 x Golf Radiators inbetween the chassis beams of the bus under the floor
Pierre VdubTECH / Bugger Transmissions
011 8222799
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

jakeaird
Drip
What model do you have?: autovilla

Post by jakeaird »

Thanks Mr Bugger, I may take a trip to primrose to have a squiz if that is ok :D
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Geen Probleem bus as said the motor in Question is not in the bus as yet maybe in the next 2-3 weeks but welcome to visit
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site