Pictures of your car/s
Forum rules
Only post pictures of YOUR cars here.
collier_mk2
Drip
What model do you have?: 1953 oval beetle

SA 1953 oval beetle in UK

Post by collier_mk2 »

hi have just joined from england after buyin a south african 1953 oval beetle imported to uk in 2005 its matt black bit rough but solid!!
is there anyway i can trace the history of my new car on any webaites you know of guys as logbook doesnt show original colour and i want to return her to original colour but uk records dont help and the vw heritage birth cert doesnt give a colour either
cheers nic from england

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: SA 1953 oval beetle in UK

Post by retrovan »

Hi and welcome.

You will have to look at the assemblers plate near the spare wheel, where it was assembled.

If in South Africa it will say Uitenhage, and if not, it was an import from Germany.

If SA, you would have to take a Photo of the info plated, then the VW boffin s here will reveal ALL.

Herman

PS;- You know that that beetle will never be happy till its returned back to SA, the place of Birth............. My address is............ :TIC:
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
splitbusahollic
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a couple of buses
Facebook: vintage kombi
South Africa

Post by splitbusahollic »

welcome Nic...the first thing we 'd like you to do is please go to the Newbies thread and introduce yourself to our tight knit family....
then feel free to splash the pages with baited spoils from our shores !! :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
you will find it here :
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... start=5055
thanks...and welcome !
vintage kombi.co.za (Website)
vintage kombi on Facebook
collier_mk2
Drip
What model do you have?: 1953 oval beetle

Post by collier_mk2 »

hi and thanks guys :D
here is a pic of brass plate inside door post with all the relavant info i hope,paint code c305 and build number and below is the birth cert from the vw museum with no real info esp the paint

any info paint colour(as this code doesnt show on uk charts) reg number would be great looking to have a complete history of her but would love to be able to find an owner your side who could send me pics maybe its someone on here????
all i have found out is the owner of wolfrace wheels used to own her
cheers guys :mrgreen:
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

It's not impossible that someone here could have owned that Beetle in the past. Otherwise you'll struggle to find history info as the registration docs in SA are not as comprehensive as in UK and Europe, so tracking down previous owners is near impossible.

Your car was assembled and painted in South Africa, using the A colour palette, which may or may not have been similar to the German colour palette. VWSA has no production records and SA paint brochures are very hard to find, so almost nothing is known about paint codes and colours.

I'd suggest you start by finding a spot in the car (under the dash maybe?) that still shows original paint and work from there.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford