Pictures of your car/s
Forum rules
Only post pictures of YOUR cars here.
Golfmad
Valve
What model do you have?: niks

Re: My Bug - New brakes and cool pics

Post by Golfmad »

Man your bug looks schweet !!! I love them "SMOOTHY" hubcaps !!! :hangloose: :hangloose:

62vwbeetle
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 62,66,69

Post by 62vwbeetle »

Sweet ride dudu
69 Baja, 67 cal look, 62 sleeper, 59 ghia cab , 66 Ghia 69 912,single cab split
MarshallGTi
Camshaft
What model do you have?: GTi 16v

Post by MarshallGTi »

:hangloose: thanks guys
Ryan Marshall

An ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place

My Bug http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 37&t=25752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Seeing as you cooked your drums YOU MUST SKIM IT!!!
Beetle drums are made of very HARD Metal and what happens is the drum overheats the surface & causes the metal to make "high-spots" on the drum. When you skimm the drum these high-spot cause the skimming tool to bounce over it and you then have to grind these spots off before you can get a good surface with the skimming. Excesive heat also causes the drum to go oval and if its too bad you will have to replace the drum. So just putting on new shoes aint gonna help much.

So here is what you need to do.
Take the drums and shoes to a skimming shop have the drums skimmed and the shoes (radiied, radiussed) for the drums, then follow the advice i gave you on the previous page..
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
MarshallGTi
Camshaft

Post by MarshallGTi »

Thanks again for all the advice and help, you guys rock :hangloose:

news from the past weekend, positice battery terminal worked its way loose so come thursday she wouldnt start. blame comes down to some el-cheapo looking post clamps. anyways, battery wasnt terribly flat so i jumped it and went for a long drive. when i get chance i will take the battery out and give it a proper charge.

also, i finally got a chance to put some real speakers in. car came with a basic pioneer CD f/loader and some 160w (i think) 6x9's. still had all my Golfs sound gathering dust, so in went a set of 480w 4 way Pioneer 6x9's, a 12 inch Pioneer sub, and a US audio amp (not sure on the power cos its an old handmedown and the numberings a bit faded), and a Pioneer deck with all sorts of settings on it so no real need for a cross-over just yet.

car sounds fairly decent, just needs some fine tuning til i'm totally happy :hangloose: :mrgreen: only thing left to do is sort out the decks power wire, as at the moment both the memory wire and the 12v are connected to the same ignition 12v wire. so i need to add a wire to permanent 12v so the radio remembers its settings, and i prefer to have the radio's power connected to permanent 12v too, so i dont have to have the ignition on to listen.

tiny bit of bad news is i'm starting to see more and more how the PO who rebuilt it cut corners here there and everywhere :x :( the wiring is a mess (in the process of tidying), i need a new battery clamp, he used cheap-ass mdf for the rear shelf-box-thing that holds the 6x9's and theres water getting in around the rear window somewhere which is soaking into the box (will make a full proper setup when i have time), crappy glue to hold down the carpets, over-spray on almost all the rubbers/grommets/etc :shock: the cubby is in a terrible state, paint peeling in lots of hidden spots around the frunk and engine (revealing the quite pleasant original turquoise) :shock: :evil: :bn:

all in all i'm a happy chappy, nice to get to work hassle free and have some good (and loud) tunes to keep me smilng. :drunks: :flash:

immediate to do list goes as follows
1. move RCA's further from the amps power cords to get rid of some whine
2. add in the decks extra wires
3. have a slow puncture looked at
4. wash and polish
5. get out to some shows and park-offs :hangloose:
Ryan Marshall

An ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place

My Bug http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 37&t=25752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarshallGTi
Camshaft

Post by MarshallGTi »

and yet more questions, anyone bought and fitted one of these?

http://www.autostyle.co.za/car-audio-1/ ... plate.html

is it for our old beetles or the millenium kak, and does it work and fit nice?

kthnxbye
Ryan Marshall

Loopy
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Loopy »

That faceplate is for the New Beetle, just had a look at the one in my wive's car (2008 Beetle Cabriolet) to confirm.
"What I would suggest is that you draw up a project plan and then prioritise the things you NEED to do linked to the budget you have." by Vader
Truer words have never been spoken...
MarshallGTi
Camshaft

Post by MarshallGTi »

oh well, DIY it is then
Ryan Marshall

buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

MarshallGTi wrote:oh well, DIY it is then
Then it looks like one of these was used to open the hole :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

king_can_opener.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarshallGTi
Camshaft

Post by MarshallGTi »

sadly it already does. at the moment the hole in the dash has a "carbon fibre" :TIC: :roll: cover and the radio is in the cubby. but its right at the back of the cubby with most of it sticking into the frunk, and the cubby box itself has seen better days. i have a long term plan to fill the dash hole with a couple gauges, and trying to make my own cubby moulded in fibreglass from the old one.
Ryan Marshall

MarshallGTi
Camshaft

Post by MarshallGTi »

right so 1st up, with my bug not having much weather protection except for a carport, this has happened... :jerkoff:

and seeing as the dogs had gotten hold of my sheepswool wash pad thing and everyone is talking about microfibre, i picked up one of these...

gave the old girl a good scrubbing and she's all shiny again :D

and some attempts at being artsy fartsy :oops: :shock:

especially like this one :flash:

Ryan Marshall

Riekert
Camshaft
What model do you have?: 1964 Notch

Post by Riekert »

Looking good man!
MarshallGTi
Camshaft

Post by MarshallGTi »

Ryan Marshall

MarshallGTi
Camshaft

Re: My Bug - New peekchas

Post by MarshallGTi »

now for the bad news. seems as though when the PO "rebuilt" the car 3-4 years ago, he didnt have much knowledge of how to paint. my best guess would be that little to no prep work was done, body putty seems abundant, and i think that theres no clear coat over everything. maybe i'm wrong, but have a look and see.

paint peeling, filler lifting, rust coming thru...

chrome side trim rattle-canned black and mounted kak :(

under rain channel

Peeling by the frunk vents

dodgy spray on the wheels

overspray on the INSIDE grab handle

evidence of no prep work or primer, original colour coming thru in certain spots...

orange peel and evidence of holding the spray gun too close

and the scariest of all, i tried to see what effect some polish would have, the old man had some rallye liquid polish lying around so i tried a patch of wax on wax off about 10cm x 10cm, and this happened :shock: :shock: :shock:

opinions please?
Ryan Marshall

vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Re: My Bug - New peekchas

Post by vader »

Remember polish is abrasive and takes some of the paint off.. If you have a look at some peoples cars that wash&polish thier cars alot you will see the clear coat comming off, this aint a bad paint job its cause from the friction and abrasiveness of the polish.. Its nice to have a shinny car untill it starts looking like a rats ass....

There is something to be said about a dirty car, asswipes aint gonna lean against as they dont want to get all dirty...

Well it worked for me untill f*@kers started thinking it was abandoned and others started reversing into it...

A bit of a catch22 situation....
Sometimes your the pigeon sometimes the statue...
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.