Pictures of your car/s
Forum rules
Only post pictures of YOUR cars here.
Qkickslvr
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: Type 1 1976

Re: My 76 Type 1 13BT install

Post by Qkickslvr »

Ok ok so here we go!!!!! Car is visiting the one and only Bugger!!!! The rotary engine is coming out and going to AJ racing for a rebuild and upgrades. Bugger will also be building me a stage 1 box to handle the 200KW motor. A twin plate ACE clutch will also be going in to transfer that power efficiently!!!! Then will also have a look at what engine and gearbox braces we going to use..... Will keep you guys posted. Bugger you can also full us in....:)

Qkickslvr
Oil Stain

Post by Qkickslvr »

Ok engine is out! Going to collect it from Bugger on Saturday then it's off to AJ racing for a rebuild and upgrade. Can't wait to get the yellow monster running again.
Qkickslvr
Oil Stain

Post by Qkickslvr »

Fetched the rotary motor from Bugger this weekend. Took a drive through to Arthur Joubert from AJ racing and left the rotor there for some loving touches. Got me all excited talking about what hes going to do to the motor. Cant wait for the end product!!!
Qkickslvr
Oil Stain

Post by Qkickslvr »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395827710.310395.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395827723.975295.jpg
There is the damaged rotor and housing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Any idea what caused this to happen?
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
Qkickslvr
Oil Stain

Post by Qkickslvr »

Motor ran lean with the wrong spark plugs. Burnt off the electrode and fell into the motor.
Wentzel
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: T1 1977,76

Post by Wentzel »

Hi did you sort out the clutch? Post some pics of it please would be very interesting to see what it looks like. Any update on the engine?
Oxyboxer Project

Never Ending Beetle Project viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35724
Lolette Spyder Project http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=32175
Qkickslvr
Oil Stain

Post by Qkickslvr »

Still no news on the motor. Letting AJ do his thing. The clutch is going to be done by AJ as well. He will be having a custom clutch built for me. No longer going for the ACE clutch. Still looking at twin plate. I'm not prepared to take the motor out again. Needs to be right first time.
Qkickslvr
Oil Stain

Post by Qkickslvr »

Hey guys. Its been a while since I updated you all. Motor is still with Arthur from AJ racing, last I heard the eccentric shaft and rotors where sent for balancing. Pierre is suppose to be busy with my stage 1 box. Any progress Bugger?

Im also wondering if the engine bay should be painted or add some sound deadening? Unfortunately cannot apply deadening inside the car as the "boot" is full of speakers! What do you guys think? Im also wondering if an A-Frame will fit my car with the radiator up front? Bugger any input?
Qkickslvr
Oil Stain

Post by Qkickslvr »

Update: triple plate clutch has been ordered and is on the way from the USA.
Qkickslvr
Oil Stain

Post by Qkickslvr »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423543676.104841.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Qkickslvr
Oil Stain

Post by Qkickslvr »

Hi guys! I'm back again. Spoke to Arthur last week and it sounds like the motor is now almost ready. A street port for smooth power delivery and a rebuilt and flowed turbo for better efficiency. A second hand rotor and housing had to be sourced as the old one was too damaged. There is also a triple plate clutch from the USA and a custom made flywheel to hold together at high rpm's.

A power figure of between 200kw-250kw is expected.

I have also found myself a microtech Lt-10s management system. Was a good price couldn't refuse. I'm glad I got my hands on this system as it is designed specifically for the rotaries.

When Bugger saw my new clutch setup he assured me that a stage 1 box would not be suitable for the power I will be making.

Still looking at the budget and having a look at going chromoly main shaft (1st and 2d gear) and if possible will be doing chromoly side shafts as well.

Pierre has also suggested a few new mounts that he has been testing to fit in the monster also.

I was also looking at fitting a kafer cup brace to the gearbox will see what bugger suggests.

I also want to look at charge cooling the motor in the future. This should give gains of about 10% which could mean up to 25Kw if the motor makes 250kw. That's roughly 275KW.

It is all speculation for now so only time will tell.

If the gearbox it upgraded with chromoly parts there is a possibility of a bigger turbo with more boost in the future. Who knows! There could be another rotary beetle with over 300kw on the wheels. Time will tell.
Qkickslvr
Oil Stain

Post by Qkickslvr »

Just been informed the turbo rebuild and upgrade are now complete and ready for collection!

Things are starting to fall into place at last.
Gerlach
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 1976 Type 1 beetle
South Africa

Post by Gerlach »

Love your build Qkickslvr. Self busy with turbo build for mine, but yours in a other level. Got some friends that in the RX cars and motors. What work did AJ do to the motor for you?

This setup lets me think of this car. Black Mamba Racing.

Go check the FB site. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Ma ... 2089861147

Microtech systems is the way to go for this motors. Friend of mine had a old shape rx7 with 13b with all the right things done to it with a t61 turbo on it with an Lt-10s. It was scary fast and damn load!!

Ron Lummusracing builds some insane clutch setups for cars that runs Air-cooled gearbox. go check them out.
http://ronlummusracing.com/

Best to go for Chromoly side shafts and go for the short one. It's going to damn expensive , but that will be last penny that you spend. We had problems on a 2.4 turbo Beach buggy that run 10's on killarney. Standers side shafts snaps like nothing. we decided to chromoly and shorter. never snap a side shaft again.

Keep us up to date with that build!!!! :hangloose: :mrgreen:
Qkickslvr
Oil Stain

Post by Qkickslvr »

Gerlach wrote:Love your build Qkickslvr. Self busy with turbo build for mine, but yours in a other level. Got some friends that in the RX cars and motors. What work did AJ do to the motor for you?

1. Thanks very much appreciate the complement. I popped the motor back in 2012 and just didn't have the finances to fix it then and it stood. Looked for a engine builder and decided on the best (in my opinion anyway). Complete rebuild new seals (apex,side,corner and oil) a street port for smooth power delivery and the standard turbo was sent away for a rebuild and has been flowed.

This setup lets me think of this car. Black Mamba Racing.

2. That is a whole other class!!

Go check the FB site. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Ma ... 2089861147

Microtech systems is the way to go for this motors. Friend of mine had a old shape rx7 with 13b with all the right things done to it with a t61 turbo on it with an Lt-10s. It was scary fast and damn load!!

3. Had a spitronics but was never happy with it. I also say to this day that is why I lost the motor. We know it ran lean and I'm still convinced it was the management system. Found a second hand microtech which set me back R6500 very decent for that price! A new one will set you back about R13000 I last checked.

Ron Lummusracing builds some insane clutch setups for cars that runs Air-cooled gearbox. go check them out.
http://ronlummusracing.com/

4. Arthur had a 3 plate racing clutch imported from the states and had a new flywheel machined locally. This is the same clutch that is currently fitted in the racing boys bakkie. Has held together all these years. That says a lot about the clutch!!

Best to go for Chromoly side shafts and go for the short one. It's going to damn expensive , but that will be last penny that you spend. We had problems on a 2.4 turbo Beach buggy that run 10's on killarney. Standers side shafts snaps like nothing. we decided to chromoly and shorter. never snap a side shaft again.

5. According to Bugger the main shaft (1st and 2nd gear) is about R18000 and the side shafts are about R9000. So yeah I would say a PRICY exercise!! I know once I do those I won't have a problem that's why I'm looking at doing it now. As for the shorter shafts I'm not to clued up about it. Bugger will make a judgement call on that one.

Keep us up to date with that build!!!! :hangloose: :mrgreen:
6. Will do!Image