911 Dream replaced with something more real

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
Herbie
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 1978 Beetle SP 1600
South Africa

911 Dream replaced with something more real

Post by Herbie »

I dreamt of owning a 911 since I was like 10. I used to have a 1971 Beetle with a 356 engine in that was butchered to 2300cc just to say "it's a Porsche engine". Thanks to IMPI and another friend of ours I enjoyed the 356 engine for 15000kms but then I drained no 3 and 4 bearings with the oil (IMPI did warn me of the cooling issue....) :roll:

So after selling that I still had the distant dream of a real Porsche. I started saving up and after what seemed like an impossible task I had saved up a decent deposit. My research back then showed a good 80-84 911went for about R150k. By the time I had saved halfway the 911's price increased to 200k. Now I am not talking about a butchered bargain but something decent. before I could get to half of that the prices went up again....long story short, they keep on moving the goal post.

I was a regular 911 bargain surfer and found Koos Durant's website one day. He had owned them all...from a 356 to a GT3. He had 924's, 944's and plenty 911's. I wrote him an e-mail and asked his advice as I actually have never touched a real 911...nor driven one. His advice was that I should go and test drive one as the reality may be a lot different than the dream. He said that old 911's are very tempramental and I may not enjoy it as much as I think I will. He lastly suggested that if you want value for money buy a Boxster. I couldn't believe what this guy told me...I mean he has a GT3...he should defend the icon!!! A Boxster isn't a real Porsche (So I thought).

A year later a friend of mine took me for a drive in his Boxster and the light went on in my head. For half the money of a decent 911 I got a 15 year newer Boxster, with air bags, with ABS, with low mileage and the same fun. I can definitely recommend anybody getting a Boxster. I was one of those 911 purists, and I know I am open for extreme critique now, but my Boxster puts the same smile on my face as any 911...if you don't agree....just ask IMPI :lol:

My 5 cents to the newly established Porsche forum...thanks a lot to whoever made this happen!

Blood Type: VW+
1978 Beetle SP 1600
1963 Beetle
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Re: 911 Dream replaced with something more real

Post by Pine »

Pics?
vw59beetle
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Enjoyable one

Post by vw59beetle »

Congratulations. You right, Koos has owned them all and gave you some good advice. In a perfect world it would be great to own them all.
Enjoy every moment.
BTW Koos's new daily driver is a 356 :)
Retrobug
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1962 Beetle

Post by Retrobug »

if it comes out of the Porsche factory it must be a real Porsche! :hangloose:
Purist or not, a fact is a fact! :lol:
Congrats and post some pics of your girl! 8)
The two secrets to success: 1) Don't tell everyone everything that you know

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=24181
BARON
Clutch

Post by BARON »

I know the feeling, Ive been there.
I went through it all , Because the coupe has the most beautiful body ever made (my opinion)and I love a cabriolet Idecided on a Targa ---best of both worlds but also not the best---- you lose the shape of the 911 somewhat and gain a lot of body noise. The only music I can listen to while driving is the sound of the engine but I am not complaining.
The young people of today who grew up in perfectly quite cars (they need a sound system for noise) and with front wheel drive handling characteristics. They will find the a/c Porsche driving style very different . So I would also advise them to a test drive. I remember my first drive in a 2.2 911 and it was actually so a/c vw like that I was very disappointed. I expected something more different.
Never the less a Boxter is the perfect choice like all others but then again suffering from permanent Porsche fever and can not fault them----not even the replicas.
cheersbaron

WARNING All first time Porsche owners develope stiff neck muscles from looking back at their cars every time they park them---but the muscle will get stonger with time and the pain will go away. :hangloose:
Stütz
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 62, 64, 71, 71

Post by Stütz »

Only men with small man syndrome will tell you that a Boxter isn't a real Porker! All Porkers are cool. I would have a Boxter in a heartbeat.... especially the new one! And at half the price of a 911 what's not to love??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Decide where you stand ... then stand there!
'62 Beetle (ongoing restoration)
'64 Split Panelvan (a 'one day if I retire' project)
'71 Bay Single Cab (motor built by TonyZ)
'71 Bay Double Cab (workhorse)
Herbie
Oil Cooler
South Africa

Post by Herbie »

Why did I know the first reply would be pics :D :D :D

OK here was the old 71 Beetle with the 356 engine...now you can see where my avatar picture is coming from :arrow:

And here is my new baby...sorry for the cellphone pics...will still take decent pictures.
1978 Beetle SP 1600
1963 Beetle
DR WATSON
Clutch
What model do you have?: 56,66,69,73,FLEET

Post by DR WATSON »

Very nice :deflag: Congrats Herbie :hangloose:
IM DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE!
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Nice bug.... interesting choice of colour

Take some real pics of the boxter... engine too
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Herbie wrote:Why did I know the first reply would be pics :D :D :D

OK here was the old 71 Beetle with the 356 engine...now you can see where my avatar picture is coming from :arrow:
That Beetle has a Type 4, went to go and see it and asked IMPI about it, bout two years back...

He wanted R10k and it wasn't running, I offered him R5k mainly for the wheels and the rest of the engine and he declined. Car is still sitting in JHB as far as I know.

I needed one piston and one barrel. And from what IMPI told me, those were trick barrels that were custom made by some guy in klerksdorp...

Small world :mrgreen:
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Ok Blitz completely mixed up as usual :lol:
Neels built the pink car and sold it (didnt suit the new family at the time....)
You did not attempt to buy it from him.
The engine was a type four from a 914 but had 356 carbs it also had a stroker crank. chevy pistons sleeves completely machined from a billet of cast iron bigger valves and a homemade upright conversion and a 40mm branch also homebuilt and a Ritchie jute cam larger valves. In those days nothing and I mean nothing was off the shelf... The diff was locked by welding the spiders together
Lastly this was done about 14 years ago so memories may fade....
By the way that photo was taken during our 1999 tour down to Durban and Margate
BTW I also like the non Porsche Porsches :hangloose:
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

IMPI wrote:Ok Blitz completely mixed up as usual :lol:
Neels built the pink car and sold it (didnt suit the new family at the time....)
You did not attempt to buy it from him.
The engine was a type four from a 914 but had 356 carbs it also had a stroker crank. chevy pistons sleeves completely machined from a billet of cast iron bigger valves and a homemade upright conversion and a 40mm branch also homebuilt and a Ritchie jute cam larger valves. In those days nothing and I mean nothing was off the shelf... The diff was locked by welding the spiders together
Lastly this was done about 14 years ago so memories may fade....
By the way that photo was taken during our 1999 tour down to Durban and Margate
BTW I also like the non Porsche Porsches :hangloose:
Armand
Thanks for clearing that up Armand :lol:

As I understand, the car is still available for anyone interested :)
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
Wentzel
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: T1 1977,76

Post by Wentzel »

Hi Herbie,

I have to admit I have the same dream as you and also liked the 911's the most. After reading this I will have to rethink my choice of Porsche. Unfortunately I can't see myself saving up for one but enjoy playing with the Beetle for now. Maybe someday I will be as lucky as you to own one and I'm sure you're enjoying every moment of it. Congratulations on your purchase!!
Oxyboxer Project

Never Ending Beetle Project viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35724
Lolette Spyder Project http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=32175
Herbie
Oil Cooler
South Africa

Post by Herbie »

Thanks for all the congrats guys...I do enjoy every second of it but then again every well looked after ACVW does the same trick.

Thanks IMPI for clearing up...it was because I know technically blessed guys like yourself I had one of the fastest Beetles in town...not due to my technical expertise :lol: ...So there you have it Blitz...IMPI and another friend fitted the engine after I have bought it out of an old Sandmaster and they made it work....and then I killed it.

I sold the car back in 2003 to my brother after it stood flenters for 2 years. He then swopped it for a bike or something and eventually it was advertised in the Bike SA as "Porsche Powered Beetle - R40k. I saw the car around mid 2005 for sale, already stuffed up and wanted to buy it back. The car was for sale for R20k at the time and I offered him R10k. The plan was to keep the engine and fit it to my Herbie Beetle I had just bought at the time. He was as stubbon as anything and refuse to go lower as R20k. I tried selling him a piston and a barrel as I think IMPI still have some spares? About a year later I saw it again on gumtree and the price dropped to R10k...by that time I lost interest. After the bearings failed we stroked the crank and the engine size increased from around 2300cc to 2550cc if I can recall correctly. I never drove it once finished as I knew I would not sell it if I felt the power...after you become a daddy for the first time it change your perspective in life....

As IMPI rightly said the engine originally was a 1700 type IV with all the other technical stuff he listed. It was fast but surely not very reliable which is mostly the case with so many different performance parts thrown together...if I remember correctly it was the extremely butchered type IV sub assembly to fit the 101.6mm pistons, Solex 356 carbs, Skyline GTX valves fitted to a flowed set of heads, a modified Mercedes double diaphrame pressure plate, the Rithcie Jute cam, and a wintie behind the steering wheel :hangloose: Those were the days.....

Now I am getting all nostalgic...THANKS IMPI for making that all happened! Jy's 'n pel 1000000.
1978 Beetle SP 1600
1963 Beetle
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

I don't agree, been in a 930 it was way more than I ever expected, my wildest dream would not have come close, I wonder if the 310 KW on the wheels had anything to do with my change in expectations.
No other Porsche has the character off a 911/930 anyone who talks, thinks or dreams Porsche, the 911 lines is what comes up, guaranteed.
And I have driven or been for a ride in a few othe Porsches, my 50c.
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......