2.0 KCC 356 Speedster - www.356speedster.co.za

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Manny
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Re: 2.0 KCC 356 Speedster - Scissor roof is almost done

Post by Manny »

Gary,

Cant wait to see the end product.
Check out this setup, cant compare personally I think your design is far superior.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

^^^^

That's a pretty simple design and I can see it working just fine, I'd just like to see what it looks like from the outside as having the bows so close together is going to make it look more square at the back window.

I can't take all the credit for the design as I copied a lot of features from Mangosmoothie and the OEM porsche design.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Long day yesterday.

I had Dirk come over and we played spot the wire for a good 6 hours.

Luckily I had all of the main wires done when I last hooked up my type 3 gauges and now it was just a case of adding some new ones and also running some lights from my ECU.

Yup, we had to hard wire some wires onto the back of the globes while I wait for my holders which I should finalise this week. We also ran into an issue that the 3 lights in the middle run off an isolated circuit, so we had to change the wiring on them a bit as well.

Alternator light is at the top, high beams in the middle and oil pressure light is at the bottom.

Oh yeah...................switching the cluster so that the oil temp gauge now works for the water temp gauge works 100%. Hooked everything up and it goes up just below half on the gauge, so I'm dead chuffed, that translates into 95 degrees which is where the fan switch come on. I can now do away with my universal gauge that was mounted under the dash.

The tach was hooked up, but I think that there is a resistance issue with the crossover as we hooked it up to dirks bus first and it shows the revs, but its slow to climb and also looks like it's reading half the output. So if I can't quick fix the thing, then I'll gut the internals and retrofit a golf VDO unit inside and just pack the internals away for a rainy day. The center light in the middle of the tach is going to be wired into a shift light.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

The reason that no work has been done to my car in the last 3 weeks.

We found a blocked pipe right at the end of the main sewer line, a quick inspection showed that the the pipes were the 1m long terracotta pipes that I despise so much, not too bad as they literally encircle my garage and it doesn't muck with my garden in anyway. (I've spent the last year clearing everything out and landscaping. We were going to do the paving over anyway).

The downside?

The end of the pipe where it joins the mainline is over 2.5m deep. NO machinery could get back there, so it had to be dug out by hand.

So yeah.........the area around the garage is small, so I knew that the dirt was going to get backed up and dumped somewhere.

I have a freaking moat around my garage. Hopefully today they start the back-filling and it should be flat again by Wednesday.

I need to drive my car...
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

LOL, brings back memories.
I had to sink a new septic tank and hit REALLY HARD rock. 5 weeks with two Hilti 3kW jackhammers to get a hole big enough for the tank (I even had to buy a smaller tank just to get the project finished).

With your rev counter, it could be that your counter needs 12V signal from the coil, but your Gold ignition sends a different voltage.
You might need a "tach adaptor".
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Tony Z wrote:LOL, brings back memories.
I had to sink a new septic tank and hit REALLY HARD rock. 5 weeks with two Hilti 3kW jackhammers to get a hole big enough for the tank (I even had to buy a smaller tank just to get the project finished).

With your rev counter, it could be that your counter needs 12V signal from the coil, but your Gold ignition sends a different voltage.
You might need a "tach adaptor".
We're lucky, We stay up against a mountain and I was expecting massive boulders, luckily..........none.

Well we had the gauge hooked up to a coil in my buddies bus and it was the same. When I get the car out of the garage I'll have a look into it again.
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Eish.. Sorry for you G.. What a mess.. Good luck there, keep us updated.
Re: the Tach, possibly it could be shot internally?? If it came off a 4 Cyl, should work man.. Doesn't make sense.. Good luck mate.

regards

Al
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

acpaterson wrote:Eish.. Sorry for you G.. What a mess.. Good luck there, keep us updated.
Re: the Tach, possibly it could be shot internally?? If it came off a 4 Cyl, should work man.. Doesn't make sense.. Good luck mate.

regards

Al
Cheers man, I'm beginning to think that as well, quotes to open and service are ranging from R600 - R2000. SO once I get a window (or an open door) I'll yank it apart and see if I can see anything that's shot, worse case is to strip a VDO golf unit and to retro-fit it.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Screw getting it serviced. that casing's huge, I guarantee you'll get something to retrofit inside the housing, and get the front face to lineup with.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

golf mk 1......................fits with LOADS of space to spare.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Did another catch up over the past few pages.
Are you still going to panel up the dash and fit a brow etc?
Did you make the vertical bits for the bumpers? Out of what? Glass, or aluminium? Lemme know, and what your price for a set might be, front and rear.
You got some catching up to do bud. ;-)
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

acpaterson wrote:Did another catch up over the past few pages.
Are you still going to panel up the dash and fit a brow etc?
Did you make the vertical bits for the bumpers? Out of what? Glass, or aluminium? Lemme know, and what your price for a set might be, front and rear.
You got some catching up to do bud. ;-)
Yup, there are loads of stuff still in the pipe line, but that's only cosmetics. I'm in no rush to do any of that just yet as I still have a hard-top planned and about 30 smaller projects for the car. I also have 4 soft top frames on order that are my first priority.

I've made a set (fibreglass) uprights (short and talls), no plans to replicate/ sell them though.

lol @ catching up......loads of stuff that goes on under the skin of this car than just chucking lip-stick on it.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

"Chucking lip-stick.."
cute.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Sooooooooo...............how much does a replicars/ KCC/ Venom nose differ from a universal one?

With the exception of the headlight position.....................it doesn't..

The curve from the windscreen over the fender is identical. I went to Roger yesterday and we popped over to his dads house and started measuring up.

The man at work.

So copy this over on card and then took it home...........

Headlight taken out of the bucket and moved down.

I'm actually dead chuffed about this............no need to spend R5700 for this nose swap plus the schlep of taking all through to Garth, Willem reckons a Saterday afternoon will see it done and I just need to through some money in the fibreglass kitty. Now I need to check what the distance is between the headlights as they should be closer that what they currently are.

Currently measured from lower bolt on the outside of the headlight mounting tab to one another is 118cm. Waiting for Roger to come back with what his is and then I can work about setting this straight.
Firebird
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 356Speedster Replica
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

I get 1168mm centre to centre