2.0 KCC 356 Speedster - www.356speedster.co.za

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

2.0 KCC 356 Speedster - www.356speedster.co.za

Post by flatfourfan »

I thought that I'd start this over as I ended up buying a running/ rolling/ titled speedster from Brian/ Santie and I couldn't be happier.

Paid for it yesterday and I'm just in the process of being quoted to flatbed it to Pretoria.

So Far:
Ever since I saw pictures of Brians speedster, I was dead impressed, but many factors including the fact that I wanted to build up my own speedster meant that I didn't really consider buying a rolling/ titles/ licenced car as an option. That was until Brian came back to me with a revised price. Yesterday myself and my wife drove through to his place in Jhb and met up with him and his fianc? to eye out for myself what he was selling.

The Speedster is currently running on original 356 chromed wheels which was a big deciding point for me. It makes the car.

Brian was held up for a while and his dad already opened the garage and let me view the car, at that stage I already knew that I wanted it. For those who don't know much about replica speedsters, they are in fact pretty big, even though they are based on a VW beetle shortend pan.

I was in love, Brian and his fianc? pitched up a few minutes later and after a bit more talk, I took it for a drive. Every single person who I drove past, almost fell out of their cars to look at the speedster.

Price was agreed on, price was paid, paperwork is in my hand and all I'm waiting for now is for my funds to clear on his side and a flatbed truck quote to bring it to my house.

Immediate Plans, well first is steering box/ link & king pins and set the brakes down a tad. I want to enjoy this for a while and work on the replacement motor as well.

Long term plans I'm sticking with an aircooled motor and my 2.0 type 4 efi page can be found here. http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/forum/vi ... 43&start=0

Interior I want to retrim the entire inside as well as fit the older style interior door levers that come off a 60's beetle to add a bit more vintage to it. Close up the dash holes as well as the radio hole and fit the 3 gauge speedster kit from the states. A bit more dash flair with some porsche details should about do it for me. I also want to entend the dashboard section to resemble the original one. This is going to call for a lot of trim.

Exterior: Total respray, I have a small repair to do on the passenger door handle and this added to the dash mods will make the entire respray worth it. Slightly darker silver is called for though.

What you think?
Last edited by flatfourfan on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:45 am, edited 16 times in total.

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Go huge... love your ideas.
FFF in a Porsche, maybe its time to change your avatar...

Good luck, this I am eager to see happen
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Yup, I'm working on a new AV...........so hard to let the old one go.
Rabid_ant
Clutch
What model do you have?: TBC

Post by Rabid_ant »

Looks great G!! Based on your interior, i'd say we have the same kit! 1957, the windscreen is a giveaway! Let the games begin!!

Remind me to send you the pattern for the roof cover when it's down (if you dont already have one). Neatens up the backend quite a bit, and very easy to fit/remove. i'll send you a pic of the clips and if they're the same, we'll be in business. The body looks a hell of a lot better than mine, less work on your part which is always good! Also promised to get you a couple of pics of interiors of originals, will scan in and send through to you.
Ants dig sand!

1.9 KCC Porsche Speedster
http://www.saspeedsters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Thanks Ant

I actually have about 2 gigs of pictures as I've been thinking about a speedster for all of 8 years now, but more are always welcome.

I'd love to have a stow a way cover for the hood, deff something to look into if you don't mind.

The body is actually pretty prestine, with only a small repair job being needed on the passenger side handle. I'm still going to respray the car as I want to fit reproduction gauges up front and close off the radio hole.

Man the looks that I got just on a 5 min test drive yesterday reminded me of what it's like to have people look at your car again............My beetle used to have it, my honda......doesn't........lol.
Rabid_ant
Clutch

Post by Rabid_ant »

lol....i know the feeling!! You dont even get looks like that from a new porsche!!

Agreed on the dash, luckily my radio was never put in the dash, i do however have way too many gauges to contend with, so a dash build is called for. I'll measure up the pattern for the hood and send it through to you. Should be easy to have made, just need to source the clips.
Ants dig sand!

flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Smashing, thanks mate, any chance on a picture of what those clips look like?

I have a local trim shop who can replicate pretty much anything, so hopefully they can help.

When we going to see more pictures of the outside of your car that weren't taken from 2kms away???..lol.
Rabid_ant
Clutch

Post by Rabid_ant »

Will send it through this evening!! On the picture issue.....ok, you win, cant hide the problem areas anymore ;) I'll set up a thread this evening in "projects" with some close ups.
Ants dig sand!

flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

I'll snap some of mine as well............
brianj
Single Port
What model do you have?: 67DC 66Fasty, 71West

Post by brianj »

can definitely get you the clips if at first you dont come right
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Shot mate.....
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

WOW! I'm jealous.... :roll:

Might be a dumb question - but is the Speedster replica based on a 356 A, B or C? (I dunno a lot about 'em - but at least you can't beat me on ANY question regarding a 914... :mrgreen: )

Bestaluck FFF! :wink:
santie

Speedster

Post by santie »

Hey Gary,

Don't get sooo excited, the car is still in my garage, (I am having serious sellers remorse- and with me that does not happen often- last time I had it was when I sold my Rolls-Royce)

The Speedster is modeled on a circa 1957/8 356A Speedster A The B, C and D have different layouts, seats, windscreen angle, roof etc etc,

I Found you sit very low and its a pain in traffic, You cannot see out the back when the roof is down, but its a real jol,

Once I am married and move into my house (6 months) I am going to buy a serrrious race car for myself, or maybe a fire engine, I am told if I bring a hearse home its end of relationship.

I still want to buy this, notice the steel box in the back, its a morgue van, and the box keeps the fluid in until you arrive at your destination,

Gary, I wish you many miles of fun in your new toy,
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Re: Speedster

Post by flatfourfan »

santie wrote:Hey Gary,

Don't get sooo excited, the car is still in my garage, (I am having serious sellers remorse- and with me that does not happen often- last time I had it was when I sold my Rolls-Royce)

The Speedster is modeled on a circa 1957/8 356A Speedster A The B, C and D have different layouts, seats, windscreen angle, roof etc etc,

I Found you sit very low and its a pain in traffic, You cannot see out the back when the roof is down, but its a real jol,

Once I am married and move into my house (6 months) I am going to buy a serrrious race car for myself, or maybe a fire engine, I am told if I bring a hearse home its end of relationship.

I still want to buy this, notice the steel box in the back, its a morgue van, and the box keeps the fluid in until you arrive at your destination,

Gary, I wish you many miles of fun in your new toy,
lol, it's funny how a replica can creep into your heart when you have the cars that you do Brian. Don't you start now, I know big people. :lol:

Everything that you said that you don't like about it, I love, I love the fact that you sit low, I'm somewhat taller than you, so I do get to see a bit more out the back, plus I think with a cover over the back, it'll flatten the roof somewhat.

What's pains did you have in traffic?

I dig the morgue van, I once tried to bring home an ambulance (ala ghostbusters style), but my wife quickly burried that dream.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

That hearse is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL! 8) 8) 8)