1958 356A Speedster Replica

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Firebird
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 356Speedster Replica
South Africa

1958 356A Speedster Replica

Post by Firebird »

Right, its time I start posting something instead of just looking at what everyone else is doing.

Once uppon a time, I used to kinda like the look of a Carman Ghia... one day while driving around I saw a car which at a distance kinda looked like a Ghia, but as it came closer I noticed that it wasn't anything I had ever seen before... it looked incredible! I was hooked, but I didn't know what the car was. It passed by me too quickly to get a good look at any markings.
I asked around and told the story to anyone who would listen till one day someone said that I must have seen a 356 Speedster. I looked it up and sure enough they were correct.
It wasn't until many years later, (after finding out that an original Speedster in "average condition" would cost four times the price of the 2 bedroom apartment I was living in) I decided instead to build an accurate '1:1 scale model' of a 356 Speedster!

This, despite comments from a close friend comparing 'plastic cars' to a inflatable dolls etc.

Anyway.

I called up Eugene, paid my money and many many agonizing weeks later they delivered my Speedster body (Almost 2 months late due to a fiberglass issue or some story)
DSC00025.jpg
After mounting all the opening and closing bits I decided to remove the ridiculous recesses in the body where the front indicators are placed. This turned out to be one of many many modifications I would have to do to get the car 'just right'.
MVC-017F.JPG
MVC-016F.JPG
MVC-007F.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Firebird on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Firebird
Oil Stain
South Africa

Re: 1958 356A Speedster Replica

Post by Firebird »

The next step was coating the underside of the body with rubber to protect it from stray stones. This serves to dissipate the impact from objects kicked up from the road. A stone hitting unprotected fiberglass from the underside will cause a 'spider' on the nice pretty painted side.
sleeping.JPG
Having done that I could fit the body to the chassis. But first I had to take the 'donor', a 718 RSK Spyder replica to pieces. I really enjoyed driving the 718 but it was bought because it was on a shortened beetle pan which is perfect for the Speedster and the 718 should be a mid engine with a space frame (but that is a another project).
MVC-002F.JPG
ta da.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Firebird on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Hi
I am so glad you have found new inspiration now its time for the itching and the perspiration
Good Luck
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
Firebird
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

HAHAHAHAH. Thanks my friend! I figured at least if I bring all you guys up to speed with my build I will get encouragement and help when I get stuck. If everything works out this weekend I may take a carefully aimed angle grinder to those beautiful panels you made. Let the itching begin!!
Firebird
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

Where was I...

Right, Skip forward two or three months and you can see the car is starting to take shape, well, kinda.
DSC00031 - Copy.JPG
I found a set of Hella lights with clear lenses (The ones with the sealed beam inside, just the ones I was looking for!) at a scrap yard. Funny story. My dad had told me that he had seen a beetle at a scrapyard in Benoni with headlights that i could use. He knows very little about cars and even less about early Beetles and Porsches. So I just sighed and explained to him how rare the lights were and that they were only fitted to a few very old beetles and those cars are unlikely to be left rotting in a scrap yard. He didn't let up though and said that it WAS an old beetle with 'droopy' lights. I gave in and we drove to the scrap yard a few days later. He pointed to the car from a distance and all I could see was a beetle with one of those giant fiberglass Baja bug style whale tail wing things on the back. So I sighed and began turning around to walk back to the car. As I turned, my eyes caught a glimpse of a feature on the 'B' pillar. A narrow vertical rectangle. The hole where a semaphore had once been. But wait, if that car had semaphores, it had to be older than... well I don't know for sure but those cars were all fitted with the 'droopy' lights :idea:
So I walked up to the car and over around to the front of the car, brushed away the grass, which had grown to waist height, and sure enough there was a beautiful clear lens oval Hella headlight... I held my breath, moved to the other side of the car and brushed the grass way to reveal the other light. I am never that lucky though. The other light had a broken outer lens. Regardless, I bought both of them and managed to pick up another clear lens from Carrera motors. I spent a few nights cleaning them up and polishing all the shiny bits till they were better than new!
I guess the moral of the story is
1: listen to your parents, no matter how old you are.
2: Never underestimate the ignorance of a cuzzin, because there is at least one out there that knows little enough to not think twice about converting an oval window beetle into a Baja bug! (okay, maybe it wasn't an oval, but it could have been :wink: )
DSC00073 ed small.jpg
Even though the picture shows it, the bumper isn't actually fitted yet. That will only come much later. I propped the bumper up with bricks and you can't see them because of the magic of photoshop :lol:
front.JPG
Last edited by Firebird on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Firebird
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

One of the things I noticed once I had fitted the body (and have been ignoring till now) was the fact that the chassis was actually a little too short for the body. When I asked around everyone was convinced that they shortened the beetle pan the same amount no matter if it will support a Spyder or a Speedster. Nevertheless, when I placed the rear wheels in the center of the wheel arches the front wheels sat behind the center of the front wheel arches. Like so:
Gap.jpg
Two of my friends, both seasoned 'Beetle heads' (just what exactly would you call them?) came up with a very cool solution. A laser cut bracket which would both increase the wheelbase AND add 5° of castor angle which are both good things! So I took a few measurements, drew a sketch and a few weeks later I installed this:
spacer.jpg
caster angle spacer.jpg
And then the car looked like this:
Side view1.jpg
If you noticed that the wheels also changed from 14" Beetle rims to 15" 356 rims there may be some hope for you!
I found those at a friends place in Alberton (actually a friend of a friends). We actually went to visit him to see the progress of an AC Cobra he was building. Given that he had recently finished building a microlight which, upon completion weighted too much to fly! [FAIL] I decided to tag along and see how his latest 'thing' was coming along. I noticed that he had a large pile of 'treasure' in his back yard so I went to take a look. Long story short I found four vented 15" rims in his yard in various stages of decomposition. I had them bead blasted by a friend's brother and then straightened and refurbished by another friend of a friend.

While fitting the new tires I took note of how mach care is taken by the 'tire fitting people' with old rims that have been lovingly restored and painted like new.... not.
Last edited by Firebird on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Firebird
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

The year: 2004, the month : October, the day... SATURDAY :hangloose:

Okay, so a few months later... :puterwork:

I bought a shiny new windscreen frame from KCC...
Dick puzzled and Roger.jpg
Speedster100.JPG
Drilling.jpg
Speedster Roger.JPG
Speedster12.JPG
As you can see, the windscreen rubber is not installed in the pictures. I only have pictures of the test fitted glass. It was dark by the time we had it just right with the rubber in place as well.
Last edited by Firebird on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Hi that added caster is definitely what I will add once the coupe is also on the build again from my mould donor I saw Porsche did that in the factory 356 as well
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
Firebird
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

Hey Armand, thanks for reading. :)

Yup, the extra 5° makes a massive difference to the handling. I didn't know they did it on the originals too, cool :)

I still have the CAD files for the bracket so just let me know when you need it and I will hook you up :D
Firebird
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

The story continues....
It is now January 2005 and a lots has happened to the car since installing the windscreen. I have fitted taillights and a 'shine up' number plate light.
I bought a deck lid grille. The wiring is complete and even includes a floor mounted high beam switch. I have cut holes for the 3 main gauges, mounted another steering column and steering wheel which I found in a scrapped VW van. I have mounted an array of switches and an ignition key. The coolest thing I discovered is the light switch (also from the van). If you pull it out 1 or two clicks it puts on the park and high beams respectively BUT if you rotate it, it adjusts the brightness of the gauge backlights! How's that for minimal form packed with functions!

Having the wiring done meant that we could actually start the engine in the car! It fired right up even though it had stood for more than a year! We decided to do a short trip to the garage down the road... 'cause we needed to um ... you know ... pump the tires, urgently :wink:
Image(122).jpg
Image(125).jpg
Maybe I should start working on those seats...
Last edited by Firebird on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Warning......Warning..... Thread Hi-jack...... :shock:

Impi, do you make these FG body mouldings, or have I got the Cat by the B....s..Again..... :oops:

Or who makes it......... :roll:

Hi-jack over sorry bud,

Love your project so far, can not wait for it to be complete,.......will be sitting back in my corner now, and paying attention......promise.......

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Firebird
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

retrovan wrote:Warning......Warning..... Thread Hi-jack...... :shock:

Impi, do you make these FG body mouldings, or have I got the Cat by the B....s..Again..... :oops:

Or who makes it......... :roll:

Hi-jack over sorry bud,

Love your project so far, can not wait for it to be complete,.......will be sitting back in my corner now, and paying attention......promise.......

Herman
Hi Herman, Hijack away dude :) I don't mind. The panels I was referring to that need to be carefully cut to size are some custom made interior panels that Armand very kindly made for me a few months ago, stay tuned, I will get there :)
Firebird
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

Later that month I began work on the seats. After lots of research I came to the conclusion that the seats provided by KCC were nowhere near the correct shape for a Speedster but at the time I didn't have the budget or the contacts to get my hands on a set of actual Seats or even a decent fiberglass copy. So I modified what I had by moving the seat vent holes to match those of the Speedster seat. I decided not to try and scalop the top of the seats because it would weaken the structure. Based on that I then made sure that the upholstering was as close to original as possible. I bought a roll of cheep vinyl and briefed my mom with the sewing mission...

Here are two of the early progress pics.
Image(144).jpg
You can see where the seat back has been cut and replaced to re-position the holes.
Image(145).jpg
After a few trial patterns we decided we were as close as we were going to get and covered the seats in matt black vinyl.
seats.JPG
They are still like this today as I am still looking for a suitable square weave carpet which will cover the seat backs as well as the rest of the interior. If anyone knows where I can get hold of some please let me know :)
Last edited by Firebird on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firebird
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

Next I decided to tackle the ride height. I am pretty happy with the rear ride height, mostly because the side shafts are perfectly horizontal which is mechanically sensible. One day when i am feeling energetic I will attempt to shim the gearbox and then try to crack the combination lock that is the rear splines.

Anyway... The front suspension. All the mechanical lowering options involved cutting and re-welding the top or both torque rod tubes. After a long debate my two 'Beetle heads' advised me to rather do it the messy way because it didn't involve potentially weakening a major structural element of the chassis. A friend of mine gave me a front suspension so that I could use the spring packs from that suspension in combination with the ones in my car until I came up with a the correct ride height. I think I eventually settled on 3 sets of half and one full in the top tube and 2 fulls and 2 half sets in the bottom (The hard core beetle guys will know what that means) This resulted in a a decent ride height with a simulated tank of fuel (two buckets) and the battery and spare tire up front.

Like so:
02 after2.jpg
If you have ever played around with the spring packs on a beetle you will know how messy it can get!
messy.jpg
Last edited by Firebird on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firebird
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Firebird »

Later that year (June 2005) I made up the interior door panels...
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Last edited by Firebird on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.