Pictures of your car/s
Forum rules
Only post pictures of YOUR cars here.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

My speedster's going to be on News24

Post by flatfourfan »

Just got news now that an article that I wrote a while ago for readers rides is going to be featured on the website this afternoon...............best ride of the month can win R2500 or sat nav for a car.............

Here's what I wrote, just in case they only use some of the script.

Living with a Replica

I believe that everyone should have a toy, something that they don't share with others and while not always being very practical, it should bring a smile to your face, no matter what it is.

Enter the vw beetle based Porsche Speedster Replica.

In basic form, these cars are nothing more than an old VW beetle and drive and handle much like the donor car that they are based on. However with minor tweaks and some changes, they can be made to be rather special. I do not drive this car everyday; this is a special occasion car. It's a lot of fun and turn’s heads wherever you go. Drop top motoring in its simplest form.

This particular speedster runs with basically standard VW beetle running gear, but as it only weighs 740kg, which makes for interesting driving. It handles like a go-kart and is very, very low to the ground. The braking is solid even with standard beetle non adjusting drums. It does have a soft top for when you're caught in the rain, but even the Porsche speedster (on which this car is based) stated that it’s for emergencies only.

Build quality is basic to say the least, hand laid fibreglass with a steel frame that’s been bolted on top of a shortened beetle chassis.

There’s not much in the lines of comfort, the speedster seats are almost on the floor pan and there is little to no sound deadening in the car at all. They are noisy inside with the roof up, but seeing that it’s going to be down, is this really an issue?

When the electrics consist of lights, wipers and the horn, there’s not much that can go wrong, the speedster versions don’t even lock, so a gear lock is a must. There is a lockable compartment behind the seats that can be used to lock up anything of value.

As with anything in life, the costs start to climb when you start to personalise. Original Porsche items such as badges, mirrors, gauges, steering wheel, steel rims and motor swaps can quickly add R40 000 or more to the price. When going this route, the internet is your best friend. There are a lot of internet based clubs and the people involved with these replicas are usually very down to earth and friendly.

The market on these is somewhat small and exclusive, so the price does reflect that, expect a nice runner in good condition for upwards of R50 000. Service and upkeep is the same as an old VW beetle, unless you start with the upgrades. A pristine used example with Porsche components can fetch over R100 000. But if you’re feeling daring, you can do the bargain route like I did and pay a little over R30 000 for a very basic one with no trim or extras whatsoever and do it up yourself.

eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

Re: My speedster's going to be on News24

Post by eben »

Don't let the fame go to your head :P
Good stuff!
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

And here it is on wheels24, pics and all! Well done FFF.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Content/RoadT ... he_Replica
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Dutch_Diver
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 64 bus & 63 Bug
Facebook: www.facebook.com/people/Frank-Van-Hoof/576686903

Post by Dutch_Diver »

Well done and from the picture, that's one beautiful vehicle! :mrgreen:
"MO" - 1965 Splitscreen bus --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... =37&t=9305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"BOBBIE" - 1963 Beetle --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=11338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Farhaad
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: memories

Post by Farhaad »

replica or not, thats one sweeeeet ride.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Cheers all, it seems that by the reponses on the news24 page, that they like it as well. That R2500 prize is going straight to Armand if I win it.

My competition is:

Renault CC.
Some freaking scooter
330d BMW
SEAT cupra
Suzuki SX4
Hyundai Accent
Mazda6

vasbyt..........min dae.
CTBUG

Post by CTBUG »

What an awesome awesome ride... have to agree with Farhaad... replica or not, it's a great looking ride!
Good luck with the comp, fingers crossed.

CT
brianj
Single Port
What model do you have?: 67DC 66Fasty, 71West

Post by brianj »

can we vote for you, or is it by page views?
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

brianj wrote:can we vote for you, or is it by page views?
I think it's by page views...............if it's by comments given, then the prize goes to the getz, even though 90% of the comments are insults........lol.
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Chris »

I added my reply!

Hope you win. :wink:
Damn,I'm good!
Beach Buggy (Running and now Aircooled!)
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi