new guy questions

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
jeff115
Drip
What model do you have?: ?

new guy questions

Post by jeff115 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey ive got a few questions im going to buy a beetle soon and im wondering how hard it is to get any power out of these cars how do the internals react to forced air im looking to get 3-400 hp in one if its to hard ill probly use a subaru motor is the wrx motor a common swap and how about the transmissions what will they stand up to i can do any fab work needed for this project what model should i look for and what should i look out for it will be a daily driver fun car any help will be apreciated oh and if this isnt a verry active forum is there one were i can get these questions to more people thanks in advance

twin turbo 94 12 valve
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: new guy questions

Post by Tony Z »

If that is the kind of power you want, then Subaru is prob the only way to get it reliably.

Question... are you wanting to race against other cars with approx 400hp or do you know that you need 400hp to race the cars you want? A beetle is very light and very quick off the line. 250hp beetle will take on a Porsche GT3 from 0-100km/h any day, traction dependant

Please realise, 200 hp in a beetle can get you into the 11 second 1/4mile times
400hp in a bug will give you 9s and you will be racing against 1000hp cars

250hp gearboxes can be made fairly easily. 400hp is another ball game, but can be done.
johanb
Flywheel
What model do you have?: '64 Bus
South Africa

Post by johanb »

Sjoe :shock: You want a lot of power for a Beetle. Gearbox wise it will be best to speak to Bugger on the forums. Pierre is very good with gearboxes -- here is his site http://www.buggertransmissions.co.za/ Personally I would rethink 3-400HP as it will be a monster to handle in the Beetle and you definitly will be needing a button clutch.. and they are very touchy on the pull away. 200HP and the big boys need plenty big horses to race you,, not talking "Shetlins" (Small horse if you don't know) here. All the best with the project
TonyE
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: 1976

Post by TonyE »

Hi there , you can also speak to Dave Rowley in CT. He runs a aircool with turbo on his beech buggy and can do a 1/4 mile in the 10 s range. If i can remember correct he is getting about 230 kw on the wheels. Which is enought for a beetle.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

guys guys guys...

Jeff115 is in Utah, which I am guessing is Utah in the USA. I highly doubt that Bugger or Dave will be getting any phone calls.
jeff115
Drip

Post by jeff115 »

first off thanks for the help i posted this on acouple different forums and one hasnt got a reply the other one guy had hekpfull adwise and andother put up 3 pages of how stupid i am for wanting this andyes im in utah usa so probly wont be asking those guys for help but thanks any way i think i will use a subaru motor there is one for sale localy for cheep how well do the after market trannys work i have been looking at a few i forgot who makes it but they call it the superstreet for like athousand dollers would that hold up? thats alot better than 5 grand for the one in my truck and whats a button clutch? could i adapt a subaru clutch so maybe it wouldnt be so grabby
twin turbo 94 12 valve
jeff115
Drip

Post by jeff115 »

oh and no it is not to race other 400 hoarse cars just a daily driver that is fun will rarely see a track if ever and sorry about all the questions and thanks for the help
twin turbo 94 12 valve
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Jeff
Please dont forget that a 400hp bug is about the same as a 1000hp V8 or 800hp Porsche
Are you prepared to kill yourself?

You will prob be stuck with the VW clutch, of which there are many. I stand corrected, but I think you will have to get an adaptor flywheel that has a subaru centreflange welded to a VW flywheel.
Dont be fooled, a tranny for that power will be DAMN expensive. And you have to re-inforce the suspension too. If you get wheel hop (one wheel bouncing under acceleration), you can kiss your tranny goodbye. You can prob budget around $3000 for a tranny for that power.

Dont worry, I too have had my fair share of non answered posts and also the "you cant do that", "it would be stupid to try" comments from certain other forums, which is why I dont really go to them anymore.

If you do decide to build a 400hp bug, PLEASE put it into our project section so that we can also share the enthusiasm and learn from you....
eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

Post by eben »

I believe the adapters and flywheels you can get from http://www.kennedyeng.com/ as well us uprated clutches.
jeff115
Drip

Post by jeff115 »

ya i new the bugs were light but i didnt know they were that light i still want to do it though what about the sand rails with the ls7's and stuff those look like vw trannys would something like that work since it has to be adapted any way and how do you prevent wheel hop i understand it with leaf springs but how do you get it with the trailing arms
twin turbo 94 12 valve
JohnHoffe
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: Buggy,Fleetline,Ghia

Post by JohnHoffe »

On the 'box: Tony Z is right, you will look at about US$3,000 to US$3,500 for a solid 'box, differential and sideshafts.

On the suspension: I counted 11 additional braces on my buggies' rear suspension and 'box. To control wheel hop / squatting / rear chassis /suspension flexing etc. is not that easy. With all the addtional strapping the "daily driver" concept becomes less of a reality.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

LS7?

Wheel hop, you need to support the engine and gearbox to stop it moving and bouncing around. Rear engine hanger and Kaefer cup braces (or similar) ad well as a mid-mount gbox mount. This all stops the engine and gearbox from moving and causing the wheelhop from that movement.
Stiffer rear shocks also help
as does a camber compensator, which is basically a leaf spring bolted to the underneath of the gbox and tied to the ends of your axle tubes (swing axle).
jeff115
Drip

Post by jeff115 »

man i gotta go get a car soon to understand whatyou guys are describing with these parts im not really familiar with these cars

ls7=small block chevy comes in the new c6 corvetts
twin turbo 94 12 valve
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

an engine that size will mean nothing more than bad handling
Plus it will weigh more than the car iself
eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

Post by eben »

320hp Subaru engine in a bug equates to 0-60 in 3 seconds, 1/4 mile in 11.7seconds.
That is faster than a McLaren F1, Porsche GT3 and Ferrari 355 :wink: