Mountain bikers...speak up!

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Re: Mountain bikers...speak up!

Post by vader »

Hahahahahaha...

I did marshal at the Argus Cycle tour for 7years at Simons Town Golf Course s-bends....

"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
divanrally
Drip
What model do you have?: None...yet
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=787713942

Post by divanrally »

vader wrote:Hahahahahaha...

I did marshal at the Argus Cycle tour for 7years at Simons Town Golf Course s-bends....
I have a lot of respect for the marshals, they ensure we stay safe while we have all the fun. I sort of know what its like as I am usually an oficial at rallies where you are the one getting kicked full of dust as competitors have fun (wouldn't trade it for the world though :hangloose: )
forcecooled
Single Port
What model do you have?: 1970 1600 cc Beetle
South Africa

Post by forcecooled »

You Guys have lost the plot. WHY NOT GO AIRCOOLED and go and break a few arms and legs on some real vintage iron. We have in the dust of our collection of mechanical goeters-

'72 honda XL 250 motosport ---- Now thats nostalgia-- first multi valve single trail / Mx (in those days) bike mass produced. Ride it to work and the shops daily and on weekends unhook the flashers, headlamp and tail lamp plug- in assemblys and head off to brickor on back of the moon tracks or just ride a serious trail over dumps and the pipeline and thru Mondeor and klipriver trail. Go home, wash the mud off it and wash the blood off yourself, clip on the lights , plug them in and you were ready for work the next day.

'74 MT 250 elsinore First road going 2 stroke that mr Honda allowed to be produced carrying the Honda name. Prototypes were named only "Elsinore" , named after lake Elsinore in the US, Where the racing version the CR 250 cleaned up the championships from all the european bikes that been dominating the scene for years
Same unclip and go racing as for its brother bike above, but being a 2T , much lighter and quicker on the twisties

1980 Honda CR250R Red Rocket MX bike. Absoloute world champoinship winning bike in its era, and a real mother to ride. sounds like an AK on rapid fire when under steam and will throw you on your neck in a flash. Makes for exciting Sunday mornings

1981 Honda XL 500. Still hundreds on the road in SA today. I personally have rebuilt a few of these that had done in excess of 90,000kms, with only showing a bit of smoke. Made great "super singles " racers in the '90s This series was superceeded by the super motard bikes , whick are still BIG stuff today in SA's racing line-up

More Docile stuff-

'65 Honda SS-50 - schoolboys dream bike . 4 stroke - revs to 10,000 RPM All original but unrestored. Has taught every kid on the block over the last 25 years and survived.

'79 Honda ST-70 the handiest fold-up little bike. Produced after the Tubular 50cc pit bike, this ST-70 became very popular amongst the financial gurus for city transport and was renamed the Honda Dax as a result of that popularity. Restored that one because it is just plain cute.

So, (yaawwwn) boys, thats how us old farts used to get our rocks off on two wheels. I am afraid bicycles were for sissies in those days and just too slow for us

I wont hold my breath waiting for the response to this one
ZeroAxe
Drive Train
What model do you have?: FUmobile

Post by ZeroAxe »

Got two Honda XL600s parked up here. I ''should'' get them going again, as it was a HOOT to ride in London :hangloose: Like a friend of mine said "Geezzz :shock: This thing pulls like a tractor with all this low-down torque!!!" :hangloose: Got any pointers ona good books to use to restore it?(other than the Hayens manual), cause I got some kind of wire fault/s!?
VW Enthusiast
ImageImageImageImage
Watercool
Transmission
What model do you have?: VW Rabbit 2.5

Post by Watercool »

Not a big mountain bike fan myself, but got one of these hanging in the basement. Paid $3000.00 for it about 3 years ago, and rode it maybe 3 or 4 times. Hope it will go up in value so I can sell it someday, but for now it will stay in the basement.
porschemtb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference
forcecooled
Single Port
South Africa

Post by forcecooled »

Hello Nick !
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

I grew up on a Diamond Back Ascent.
Now I got a Wheeler. Still love the sport, work and injuries keep me away from it tho
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Chris »

I had a Redline.Araya rims.

Now,just looking at a bicycle makes me loose my breath.
Damn,I'm good!
Beach Buggy (Running and now Aircooled!)
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
hitlers revenge
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: buggy
Great Britain

Post by hitlers revenge »

I was a roaddie and had a Rapport which I bought new for R750. It did 13 Argus tours until retirement. I eventually felt sorry for it just hanging on my garagre wall, so I gave it away to a local "straatloper" who had a "missus" bike, which he then gave to his daughter.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

I had a Peugeot Rapport myself about 20 years ago! (Named after the annual SA Rapport Cycle Tour). At the time it was an excellent entry-level road bike with a carbon steel frame (heavy, but strong) and Suntour components which were good competition for Shimano at their day. The Peugeot Le Mans was an upmarket model with a Reynolds frame. Reynolds 531, 653 and 753 were considered the best bicycle frames, before the Italian Columbus and more modern carbon fibre and aluminium frames became the norm.
VW-rules
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '61 & '70 Buses
Belgium

Post by VW-rules »

I still ride my 20+ year old Bridgestone MB5. In '88 it was the first MTB sold in East London, R2500.00 back then. In '94 four of us tried to ride across the Magadigadi Salt pans with no support team/vehicles. Nowdays I try and go to Knysna Cycle Tour once a year for the forest ride (Biggest off-road cycling event in Africa) and then the odd cycle event around EL. I still ride in the Amatola mountains once or twice a month (Whenever I can find 'Braves/suckers' to come with me)
If a married man speaks in the forest and his wife is not there to hear him, is he still wrong?
MELLO YELLOW
Valve
What model do you have?: 71 Bug, 69 Westfalia

Post by MELLO YELLOW »

Hey uncle Bill.
When I started working My boss bought me a Yamaha XT250, man that bike was a kannie dood it just went on and on I used to go to Wemmer Pan with it on the mine dumps.
Our next door neighbour used to have the XT250 big brother XT500 thumper FMG that thing had KRAG!
Then I got "old" and started cycling, have a old Hardtail GT Timerline now.
forcecooled
Single Port
South Africa

Post by forcecooled »

TiT bikes --all those XT's
beetlepower
Twin Port
What model do you have?: Beetle, Squareback
South Africa

Post by beetlepower »

so does anyone have early 70's Yamaha DT 175 parts lying around i wanna restore that and a fairly complete suz ac 50 soon
'NO TYRE SHALL BE LEFT UNSMOKED'

@reubenvn on twitter
https://www.instagram.com/elbowgreasemonkeyza/
hitlers revenge
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: buggy
Great Britain

Post by hitlers revenge »

Seeing as we've gone from cycles with pedals to cycles with motors, has anybody got any spares for a Suzuki TS50 lying around?