Forum rules
Only post pictures of YOUR cars here.
Golfmad
Valve
What model do you have?: niks

Re: My new T2A

Post by Golfmad »

Congrats !!!

SO you gonna fit a 2E or ADY engine? My bus has a 2E with EFI and she runs very strong, scary, but strong ! :mrgreen:

NTO
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 74 Baywindow bus

Post by NTO »

yohbie wrote:It's got a 2.5L GM Chevrolet engine, have not even bothered to start it. The previous owner said it was problematic. I'm going to fit a VW 2.0L 8V engine.
Thats nice!! Give it a new lease on life and remove that horrible nose cone.

We collecting our bus this afternoon, cant wait!! :P
"what happens in the bus, stays in the bus"
yohbie
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: '70 Bay Window

Post by yohbie »

@Golfmad I'm going to use EFI. Regarding the 2E or ADY I cant seem to get information on the difference between the two engines? :? From what I can see they are basically the same?

@NTO I'm getting rid of that radiator thing ASAP. The only problem is that big hole I need to fix then. I need to get the front of a trashed bus... :zhelp:
Golfmad
Valve

Post by Golfmad »

The only difference on the 2E and ADY is the fuel injection system and management VW used on them. The 2E being the older type Digifant and the ADY newer management system, MP9 - at least as far as I know.

Both are bullet proof VW engines, can be pushed hard all day without complaining and they dont mind running hotter than most other engines like fords or chevys, which makes them rather good at the back of a bus.

You can always, if you want to go back to original, go for a type 4 2.0L aircooled lump.
yohbie
Oil Stain

Post by yohbie »

@ Golfmad, thank you for the reply. Have spoken to a guy that said I should fit the original engine because something else affects the value of the car dramatically... I do not think a beetle engine is up to the task. I want to use this car every weekend and it should be able to do 4000km on a holiday each year. What do you think? :?
NTO
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 74 Baywindow bus

Post by NTO »

yohbie wrote:@ Golfmad, thank you for the reply. Have spoken to a guy that said I should fit the original engine because something else affects the value of the car dramatically... I do not think a beetle engine is up to the task. I want to use this car every weekend and it should be able to do 4000km on a holiday each year. What do you think? :?
I thought originally that you were going to fit a standard engine but 4000km's sounds a bit high?
"what happens in the bus, stays in the bus"
yohbie
Oil Stain

Post by yohbie »

@ NTO Nope I was not thinking of an original. We average about 4000km when we go on holiday and the fact that you mention that's its a bit high sounds as though the original engine won't like that? I would like all you opinions though as I am not an expert in this field...
Golfmad
Valve

Post by Golfmad »

Personally, I like the power of the water-pumper, but, I am not always sure about how reliable the "modification" is when it comes to long distance traveling - water pipes, radiator, adapter plates, wring, all modified so many more things to go wrong.

Original is always better, but a 2.0l aircooled engine is not bad power wise and it would easily do 4000 kilos on a vacation, as long as engine is properly built, and maintained.

In my opinion a 1600 aircooled is a bit over stressed in a baywindow, and would work much harder on long trips just trying to maintain a reasonable highway speed.
yohbie
Oil Stain

Post by yohbie »

@ Golfmad, Did you buy a conversion kit or did you make the adapter plates and other goodies yourself?
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Type 1, 21b, 34, 316
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

Air cooled?
1964 T34 - The Razor: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10290
1956 T2 1b - Gill's bus: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10948
1967 T316 - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10931 & viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15977
2000 beach buggy - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10915
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

yohbie wrote:@Golfmad I'm going to use EFI. Regarding the 2E or ADY I cant seem to get information on the difference between the two engines? :? From what I can see they are basically the same?

@NTO I'm getting rid of that radiator thing ASAP. The only problem is that big hole I need to fix then. I need to get the front of a trashed bus... :zhelp:
i got a Low light front nose panel from a Spares bus we cut and will let it go for about R1000 which is very cheap
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

yohbie
Oil Stain

Post by yohbie »

Bugger wrote:i got a Low light front nose panel from a Spares bus we cut and will let it go for about R1000 which is very cheap
I will take it, thank you so much! Will call you tomorrow. :mrgreen:
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

yohbie wrote:@ NTO Nope I was not thinking of an original. We average about 4000km when we go on holiday and the fact that you mention that's its a bit high sounds as though the original engine won't like that? I would like all you opinions though as I am not an expert in this field...
If you want reliability then you must keep it air cooled. Conversions complicate things, keeping it air cooled is far more simple and if restored properly you can have 1000's of km trouble free. 4 000 km is nothing, over 1 000 km in 1 day is no issue for these motors, they can work all day long.

If you do find an original motor a bit unresponsive you can always consider a few tweaks like twin Weber carbs, slight engine modification etc. to liven it up a little.

Also consider the fact that by putting a bigger motor in its not really going to speed up the bus, they just not designed for high speed.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

sean wrote:......... they just not designed for high speed.
X 3 what Sean said, its even more scary then "Rodeo Sex" (if you don't know what it is, ask)

When you hit 140 with it, you need to be an octopus to hold it on the road. its a car to enjoy, not a Highway racer.

OMO
Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
yohbie
Oil Stain

Post by yohbie »

@ sean and retrovan, Thank you for the input guys. As long as this bus can do a 100km/h then I'm happy. I'm with you on the fact you do not drive a Kombi like a sports car. That's not the idea at all...