Forum rules
Only post pictures of YOUR cars here.
Dutch_Diver
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 64 bus & 63 Bug
Facebook: www.facebook.com/people/Frank-Van-Hoof/576686903

Re: my 54 oval

Post by Dutch_Diver »

Intersting question and its always raised contraversey. I say it's yours so it's your choice. If you continue to be an active member people will forgive or at least stop mentioning. VW did some nice original colours in 54 so my suggestion would be if you do change then pick another VW colour.

Just watch now as the debate starts and everyone says you can't change, who's first?

"MO" - 1965 Splitscreen bus --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... =37&t=9305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"BOBBIE" - 1963 Beetle --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=11338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dutch_Diver
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 64 bus & 63 Bug
Facebook: www.facebook.com/people/Frank-Van-Hoof/576686903

Post by Dutch_Diver »

One point, that colour might look cool with a red interior? What's the condition of the inside like?

I'm sure the guns are aiming right about now :hiding: :twak: :twak: :twak: :rantswitch: :rantswitch: :hiding:
"MO" - 1965 Splitscreen bus --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... =37&t=9305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"BOBBIE" - 1963 Beetle --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=11338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rudi02
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 1952, 1957,1958,1959

Post by Rudi02 »

Vanman,

This is your car and if you want to change the colour, you can do it. I'm an original buff. I will always try to stay original if at all possible. That is my cup of tea. But you are a diferent person with different views. If you want to paint it back to the original colour it came from the factory, I for one will cheer you and encourage you.

If you want to paint it pink and drop a monster in the back and lower the car, other guys will cheer you. It is your choice. I just gave my opinion as many others have already done.

Fact is, this is a very nice car. All of us would have liked to have it in our garage. Enjoy it.
vannman
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 54 oval

Post by vannman »

Dutch_Diver wrote:One point, that colour might look cool with a red interior? What's the condition of the inside like?

I'm sure the guns are aiming right about now :hiding: :twak: :twak: :twak: :rantswitch: :rantswitch: :hiding:
my logic, if i do nothing, i do nothing - but if i do it, i do everything to the best of the best :D

interior is hardly worn, the old guy stopped driving it in the 70s, he has a new TT as his everyday car and lives in a million dollar suburb, so (only 2700 km on the clock, may have turned over once, but the inside says no.) when he put in up on blocks he put the spare wheel on the back seat and over 30 years it has
leached the black rubber into the seat leaving a ring of tyre print :(
vannman
Oil Stain

Post by vannman »

Dutch_Diver wrote:Intersting question and its always raised contraversey. I say it's yours so it's your choice. If you continue to be an active member people will forgive or at least stop mentioning. VW did some nice original colours in 54 so my suggestion would be if you do change then pick another VW colour.

Just watch now as the debate starts and everyone says you can't change, who's first?
well, the old guy already changed the colour, so i think i can change it but do what to know what people think that are in the know, i like the 54 ice land green (ratted) and the 54 blue but my mate that helps me with my vdubs (owns the panel and paint shop down the coast that i use) says choose a 356 colour and do the red trim.

as for being a member, you guys have made me feel so welcome, i am not going anywhere unless you kick me off. my industry has had a shit year and to top it off my house caught on fire last night at 11:30, so it is good to fine people that just want to talk vdub. :D
vannman
Oil Stain

Post by vannman »

Rudi02 wrote:Vanman,

This is your car and if you want to change the colour, you can do it. I'm an original buff. I will always try to stay original if at all possible. That is my cup of tea. But you are a diferent person with different views. If you want to paint it back to the original colour it came from the factory, I for one will cheer you and encourage you.

If you want to paint it pink and drop a monster in the back and lower the car, other guys will cheer you. It is your choice. I just gave my opinion as many others have already done.

Fact is, this is a very nice car. All of us would have liked to have it in our garage. Enjoy it.
Thanks, i will not do anything like what you speak of, i what to respect where the car has come from. please put your two bob in. :D

I have friends that will not ever let me clean the inside and friends that what to see it made into a new car with leather and bright paint, big engine, etc.. i listen to everyone and would like to think i do a really good restro :drunks: on second bottle of wine, big night last night with the fire.
vannman
Oil Stain

Post by vannman »

Dutch_Diver wrote:One point, that colour might look cool with a red interior? What's the condition of the inside like?

The head lining needs doing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zubz
Valve
What model do you have?: 62 LHD Rag, 69 Auto

Post by zubz »

Sweet oval...I reckon stick to OG color and interior etc...changing the color of a vintage car to something modern is like having a sex change....DRASTIC yes....
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Type 1, 21b, 34, 316
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

Oh, changing the interior to a ruby red or a wine red is fine. VW used that combination plenty. In fact, my Notch is like that. It looks good. Depends on how original you want to keep it.

You must listen to Zubz, I found out he's got excellent taste in cars... 8)
1964 T34 - The Razor: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10290
1956 T2 1b - Gill's bus: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10948
1967 T316 - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10931 & viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15977
2000 beach buggy - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10915
zubz
Valve

Post by zubz »

Ron&Gill wrote:Oh, changing the interior to a ruby red or a wine red is fine. VW used that combination plenty. In fact, my Notch is like that. It looks good. Depends on how original you want to keep it.

You must listen to Zubz, I found out he's got excellent taste in cars... 8)
Yes my ragtop interior from factory was Derby Red, maybe you can choose a color like that coz its OG...

PS: Ron I got your PM, need to reply but the thing is my story is just as long or longer than yours :wink: , they are the most versatile and practical VW's you can buy these days...will reply soon.
vannman
Oil Stain

Post by vannman »

Thanks for your in put guys :D

As you can see from the over spray on the right of this photo, it is not the original colour, do i have to find out the original paint colour or can i paint it any of the factory colours for ovals in 1954?

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zubz
Valve

Post by zubz »

If you chose to go for one of the original oval colors go for Coral Red....oh so nice and vintage...

Heres some other colors available:

Here's what was available in '53

L11 Pastel Green
L19 Atlantic Green
L35 Metallic Blue
L36 Azur (to 2/28/53)
L41 Black
L73 Chestnut Brown (to 2/28/53)
L90 Sand Colored (to 3/31/53)
L272 Sahara Beige
L41 Black

Standards:

L37 Medium Blue
L225 Jupiter Grey

In 1954:
L213 Iceland Green
L227 Strato Silver
L271 Texas Brown
L275 Light Beige
L276 Ultramaroon

Standards:

L37 Medium Blue

& in 1955:
L213 Iceland Green
L227 Strato Silver
L271 Texas Brown
L275 Light Beige
L276 Ultramaroon
L41 Black
L313 Reed Green
L315 Jungle Green
L324 Polar Silver
L370 Nile Beige

Standards:

L37 Medium Blue
L225 Jupiter Grey

vannman
Oil Stain

Post by vannman »

so it does not have to be the original colour, just from the same year?

and the inside i can do whatever went with that year?
zubz
Valve

Post by zubz »

vannman wrote:so it does not have to be the original colour, just from the same year?

and the inside i can do whatever went with that year?
I dont want to comment on that because that is grey area and some people ar very sensitive but I would certainly choose a color from the same period and for the interior as well, I mean all the colors were nice but you might like a diff color and yet your beetle is another color....
vannman
Oil Stain

Post by vannman »

i see,

How do i find out the original colour? :D