Pictures of your car/s
Forum rules
Only post pictures of YOUR cars here.
JamesD
Carburettor
What model do you have?: SP 1600

Re: My First Beetle.

Post by JamesD »

SINNISTER wrote:Thanks alot, I will drop him an Email.

Would you think if i i had to turbo charge the engine, lower the car and maybe Over bore it to a 1800cc.

what would you think my budget would need to be?

thanks again
My guess would be R20 000 - R30 000 to do an alright job. but that would be changing the cam and all. I've put about R23 000 into getting my engine to a 1776. but i might have gone a bit over board on one or 2 parts, but i'm happy.

From fastest to slowest:

Birkin race car, not much is standard
Lotus Elise 111R, almost everything is standard
'75 SP 1600 with a few mods
B8 A4 Avant tdi, towing made easy
ZeroAxe
Drive Train
What model do you have?: FUmobile

Post by ZeroAxe »

Not to sound liek an ass, but I would recommend looking up the available "stock" big bre kits on the market. 1641, 1776, 1836. Then there are even bigger ones but the price is also BIGGER!

Before dreaming big plans, read up on some of the big bore engine rebuilds on this forum and others. It is not just a simple bolt-on affair!
VW Enthusiast
ImageImageImageImage
SINNISTER
Drip
What model do you have?: VW beetle 1600
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/dup.greg

Post by SINNISTER »

Well my main plans are really just to keep the exterior stock and old school while putting some more power in the bonnet.

What would you think the best idea be, turbo or over-bore kit? and yeah I totally understand that it wont be an easy job to do.

I wanted to ask, if i had to turbo charge the engine but a low pressure turbo like 0.7 bar or 1 bar of boost would i have to get low compression pistons or could i get away with a wider head gasket?

thanks alot thou guys you have given me great advice.

Im a Noob, please help me
ZeroAxe
Drive Train
What model do you have?: FUmobile

Post by ZeroAxe »

On the Beetle you dont have head gasgets. The piston barrels wlip into the head and seats in the inside of the head. If you want to lower compression, you can put in some barrel shims. This will 'raise' the head above the barrels lowering the comp. ratio :wink:
VW Enthusiast
ImageImageImageImage
SINNISTER
Drip
What model do you have?: VW beetle 1600
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/dup.greg

Post by SINNISTER »

haha thanks alot for the correction, as you can see Im a Inline 4 cylinder engine kinda guy.

ok great so if i Lower the compression with Barrel shim's i will be able to run the engine off 0.7- 1 bar boost?

Are the stock pistons strong enough? or will they give in soon after?

If anyone has already done an Turbo install like this before, please help me out with some more details, like how many, or how wide/thick where the shims' you installed?

Thanks alot guys

Im a Noob, please help me