0 to R200 in 17 sec

Post images of your vintage ads here.
Rabid_ant
Clutch
What model do you have?: TBC

Re: 0 to R200 in 17 sec

Post by Rabid_ant »

speaking of which....does anyone know where i can get gearbox codes, ratio's etc for the golf gearboxes. i just fitted a standard box in my old mans Caddy, but the box is shagged. If i remember, the caddy runs the same box as the mach 1 GTI (ratio's etc) Anyone with directions?

Ants dig sand!

1.9 KCC Porsche Speedster
http://www.saspeedsters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JohnHoffe
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: Buggy,Fleetline,Ghia

Post by JohnHoffe »

Bugger has them. He should be able to tell you the differences.
Rabid_ant
Clutch
What model do you have?: TBC

Post by Rabid_ant »

should've guessed!! Thanks JH
Ants dig sand!

1.9 KCC Porsche Speedster
http://www.saspeedsters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

I got to agree with you guys the MK1 GTi 3 door was by far the best Golf, it's a big pitty that VW didn't bring it back to SA with the Mk 2,3,4 or 5, heres hoping they will with the Mk6....
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

We only got the 5 door version of the GTI. GT Golfs were all 3 door.
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
Dam
Flywheel
What model do you have?: A few

Post by Dam »

Rabid_ant wrote:speaking of which....does anyone know where i can get gearbox codes, ratio's etc for the golf gearboxes. i just fitted a standard box in my old mans Caddy, but the box is shagged. If i remember, the caddy runs the same box as the mach 1 GTI (ratio's etc) Anyone with directions?
My everyday vehicle is a '85 Caddy Sport,complete with GTi steering wheel, BBS front spoiler, 3 guages in centre console(oil pressure, oil temp & volt), and GT fold forward seats, and yes it does have the same close ratio box as a Mk1 GTi. You can call it a "GTS Bakkie".
Early "ordinary" Caddies had a four speed box, of which we also have one. My dad bought one of the first to come out('81), and it is still going stong :D It was actually just called "Pick-up" back then, not Caddy.
Interesting thing: On the VIN plate, country of origin says "USA". A lot of glass & parts say "Made in USA".It has plugged holes underneath the windscreen where the wipers for left hand drive vehicles were fitted! Caddies were first made in the USA, at their Westmoreland factory.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Dam wrote:
Rabid_ant wrote:speaking of which....does anyone know where i can get gearbox codes, ratio's etc for the golf gearboxes. i just fitted a standard box in my old mans Caddy, but the box is shagged. If i remember, the caddy runs the same box as the mach 1 GTI (ratio's etc) Anyone with directions?
My everyday vehicle is a '85 Caddy Sport,complete with GTi steering wheel, BBS front spoiler, 3 guages in centre console(oil pressure, oil temp & volt), and GT fold forward seats, and yes it does have the same close ratio box as a Mk1 GTi. You can call it a "GTS Bakkie".
Early "ordinary" Caddies had a four speed box, of which we also have one. My dad bought one of the first to come out('81), and it is still going stong :D It was actually just called "Pick-up" back then, not Caddy.
Interesting thing: On the VIN plate, country of origin says "USA". A lot of glass & parts say "Made in USA".It has plugged holes underneath the windscreen where the wipers for left hand drive vehicles were fitted! Caddies were first made in the USA, at their Westmoreland factory.
Does yours have the 1,8 carb engine? I suppose that you could call it the GTI Pickup :mrgreen:

I believe that all the tooling from the Westmoreland plant for the Bakkie was sent here after they stopped producing the Bakkies, and here in SA production of the Bakkie only stopped last year..
Last edited by Blitzkrieg on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

Were the Caddy 'bakkie' ever manufactured with the current Citi dash?
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Yes, they were made with the new dash.
Dam
Flywheel
What model do you have?: A few

Post by Dam »

Nope, both ours are 1600's. The 1800 followed later. 1600's had Mk1 13" GTi mags, 1800's had Mk2 GTS hub caps
hitlers revenge
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: buggy
Great Britain

Post by hitlers revenge »

GTS was also one of my earlier cars. But it had k@k seats though. Much too square for my liking.
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Type 1, 21b, 34, 316
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

Before the 3 door GT, there was of course the 3 door L... The 3 door Golfs were very sought after by the rally crowd because the body was much stiffer (more stiff?) So much so in fact that I sold my 4 year old totally shagged out L for more than I paid for it new.

Somebody told me once, a loooong time ago, that there were 2 LS types, one was of course the 1100 4 door, the other, so I heard, was a 1300 2 door. I never did find out if this was true. (The 1300 4 door was the GL).
1964 T34 - The Razor: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10290
1956 T2 1b - Gill's bus: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10948
1967 T316 - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10931 & viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15977
2000 beach buggy - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10915
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

My first (running :oops: ) car was an 1100 '78 4-door LS - it had some damage on its second gear, and sounded just like a Pulsar before shifting to 3rd. The radiator was small - about the size of a notebook computer, and it overheated quite easily. It had a single gauge on the facia (speedo with fuel level) with an all-plastic non-padded dash. The tail lighs were the small type - all red with orange, no reverse lights. It must have been one of the earliest bodyshells, the interior light was still on the 'passenger' side like the LHD European versions. I got a set of Mk2 GTi wheels for it, and it looked like a Bulldog on heat with 'em fitted :mrgreen: