Pictures of your car/s
Forum rules
Only post pictures of YOUR cars here.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Re: White 356

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Hello there. Welcome to this very cool Forum...

Was this toy at Cars in the Park (Zwartkops) last year?

In any case, it's a very sweet ride :hangloose:

Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Pine wrote:It sure looks real to me! Maybe we should reproduce those hubcaps?
Those hubcaps were sold by Capital motors in the '60s, have an old CAR magazine showing them.
BARON
Clutch

Post by BARON »

HI White 356
That is a realy nice car.A Porsche in white is always a winner but this one is the best.
I cant see the faked Fuchs so well ,can you give us a few more pictures please.----would like to see the fit up.
Went pass the old Venom cars one day while they were making some of these Fuchs caps but they would not sell any to me,but now I m thinking of making some myself .
Only problem is I can only work from a 16” wheel and I need a 15”. ( but a boer can make a plan)
You get some of these fancy visit card printing machines that can burn your emblem into almost any material---I have seen it being used on wood,leather,glass and ,denim so Im sure they can cut/engrave a Porsche badge on a pespex disc which can be fitted to the wheelcap centre—all you need to do then is to paint it the right colours.
Cheers
Baron
white_356
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Splitty,356,Westy,KG
South Africa

Post by white_356 »

Hi Blitzkrieg.

Yes I took it to Cars in the Park 2007, but had to leave by lunch time due to other commitment.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Blitzkrieg »

white_356 wrote:Hi Blitzkrieg.

Yes I took it to Cars in the Park 2007, but had to leave by lunch time due to other commitment.
Yes - I saw it there, noticed that there was something odd about those "Fuchs" wheels. Now it makes sense :mrgreen:

Your car is really awesome- IRS and Type 4 power in a lightweight Speedster must be a lot of fun!!!!!
white_356
Oil Leak
South Africa

Post by white_356 »

Hi Baron,

I guess I was just lucky. I got the impression that the salesman that sold these to me, laughed up his sleeve when I walked ou the shop and thought "this guy just wasted his money on junk" .. but in the end they worked just fine for me.

This was the last set they had and was lying in one corner of the display room, ready to be chucked. I noticed them (in a fair but not to good condition, full of scratches) and R400 later I walked out the shop with a smile - problem of bland looking "naked" vw rims solved.

Currently they are just sprayed, but I thought of perhaps having them powder coated - beter finish. Any ideas if this can be done.

KCC also had a sample of a centre cap in the shop that looked like it might have beeen made out of a resin of some sort with the Porsche emblem moulded into the cap (embossed). They unfortunately only had one sample. I suppose it was meant to be fitted into the centre of the hubcaps.
white_356
Oil Leak
South Africa

Post by white_356 »

As mentioned previously, on my to do list is still the osft top that need to be fitted - $$$$$.

A recent quote I got from Replicars was in the region of R12000-00 fitted. As far as I could determine, they were the only suppliers of Speedster soft tops in the country, unless you had it custom made, but then getting a proper soft top frame seemed to be a spanner in the works.

I stumbled upon a website of a Speedster manufacturer in the states that can supply a complete soft top and frame at a reasonable price, but then one does not know if it will be a proper fit on the locally made kits. They are willing to ship the soft top to SA. See http://www.vintagespeedsters.com

Does anyone know of soft top suppliers other than Replicars?
Rabid_ant
Clutch
What model do you have?: TBC

Post by Rabid_ant »

If you ask really nicely, mine could be used to create a pattern ;). It's off at the moment and the frame is very simple to produce. Mine is going in to be repaired, and i can get a quote on the manufacture of a new one if you'd like. I'll probably have it done if JHB or Pretoria, unless i can find a local that does decent work at a decent price!!
white_356
Oil Leak
South Africa

Post by white_356 »

Wow R_a,

That will help a lot. At the moment I've got nothing to work with apart from the basic ideas in my head from what I have seen on actual vehicles and pictures from the Net.

From what I've seen, the frame is really simple and can be made easily as a DIY job.

The other snag to my story is that KCC used to supply tops in any colour as long as it is black - I do not know if this is still the case with Replicars, but I would like to have my top made from the usual double duct canvas in Navy Blue (just to be different) and this is where a custom job might be more advantageous.

Where did you source your top from originally ?

Please keep me posted with your repair job and where you're going to have it done - Thanks
Rabid_ant
Clutch
What model do you have?: TBC

Post by Rabid_ant »

Got it with the car when i bought it. i think it's standard KCC though. From what i can tell. Fits like a dream. All you'll need to source probably are the clips for it. I'l try find some pictures at some stage. I'l keep you posted on progress. ;)
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

Wow, only saw this thread now.

White 356, I love your ride, the sebring in SA is not a very common sight to see. We should defiinatly hook up sometime as I'm just around you in Pretoria and I'm currently busy with my speedster build as well.

If you need a roof section and frame set-up to copy, just let me know as to take mine off takes a few minutes and you can see exactly what you're looking at. A local shop quoted me about R2000-00 to re-do a new roof section. The bars and bows can easily be made with limited knowledge.

I see this thread is a few months old, I hope that you're still driving it.

- G