Generator removal

Ask and give advice here
Bugboy
Drip

Generator removal

Post by Bugboy »

Hey guys need some help urgently. The bearing my cooling fan is shot and I need to replace it. This would require me removing the generator and I have never done this before. I sort of know how to remove the belt but further than that im stuck. All I need is a way to get to the fan without removing the engine and the tinware. Hence wanting to remove the generator. Also I noticed that it is bolted to the tinware,could I just remove the four bolts holding it down and pull it out or are there some hidden surprises waiting?

Rick
Drip

Post by Rick »

You will have to loosen the strap that holds the generator down onto the generator stand. ( Kind of like a large hose clamp). You must remove the four bolts that hold the generator backing plate onto the cooling shroud. If I am not mistaken you may have to loosen the whole generator stand where it bolts onto the case (Four bolts), in order to pull the generator forward enough so that the fan can clear the shroud. (I assume you know that the cooling fan is mounted onto the rear of the generator).
Of course the wiring has to be removed.
Also remember that the pulley on the generator is made up of two pieces with shims in between. This is used to tension the belt. So take note of how many where there so that you can have the same tension as before. (or remove one or two to tighten the belt)

Hope this helps
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

There are several ways to remove the genny but whichever way you go quite a few things will have to be removed before you can get it out. It is not an hour's job if the motor is still fitted in your ride.
It can be done 3 ways:
Firstly and the easiest is with the motor out:
Second would mean you would have to remove the nuts and the studs from the genny pedestal/engine block.
Third way requires you to remove the engine lid
There are many small things you need to consider before you tackle any of the above methods, give me a call and I will explain it to you in more detail before you give it a go.
Rui 082 830 6493
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
calooker
Donor
Donor

Post by calooker »

Yup Rick has basically covered the one method, in addition to his points I would add a few, the one important thing is that the 4 studs that the pedestal bolts to need to come out before the pedestal can be moved forward, these studs sometimes are a real bitch to come out as space to work is a problem, the inlet manifold as well as the carb will also need to come out.
Bugboy
Drip

Post by Bugboy »

Thanks ,im planning on tackling it this weekend so will be in touch before I start anything.
hitlers revenge
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: buggy
Great Britain

Post by hitlers revenge »

I have not done this for a long time but this should help.
1.Remove large clamp around generator
2.Remove carburettor
3.Remove 2 6mm bolts on each side of fan housing. (just above spark plugs)
4.Now you need help.
5. Get someboby to lift up right hand side of fan housing
6. Undo 6mm bolts at bottom of fan to fan housing
7.Undo 6mm bolts from top of fan to housing
8.Slide out fan from housing
9.Replace is reverse of above
calooker
Donor
Donor

Post by calooker »

HR has covered the other method in detail, but if you need to remove the genny still with the fan housing attached right out of the engine bay you will need to remove the decklid. Don't forget about the cooling plates at the back of the fan housing for the oil cooler, if you have a dog house oil cooler they will get in the way a bit make sure they go back correctly when you bolt everything back. If you have the early oil cooler then no problem with those plates.
Bugboy
Drip

Post by Bugboy »

Howzit guys thanks for all your help,got a friend of mine to help me. Luckily he has owned a couple of bugs in his time so he has some knowledge. Removed the generator only to find that the bearing is fine but the fan is broken did some temprorary fixing for the time being. Went out and got a new fan today so gonna stick that in.