Panelbeating bugs...

Ask and give advice here
Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?:  Various

Panelbeating bugs...

Post by Merlin »

Ref: I'm referring to the body section behind the front fender before the door, ie: the small triangular-shaped section...

This may be a dimwitted question, but is this a hard panel to panelbeat/repair on a bug?

Mine is less than smooth on the drivers side. :/

*looks at Eben's post count...*

N.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, and oversteer, the rear.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
sled wrote:well obviously the UK is wrong.
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Not that hard to repair but a lot of things may be wrong
Bottom of doorpost may be rusted 10 to repair on a scale 1 to 10
Doors may have been pushed over center about 5
car may have had it up the nose any bodies gues as for difficulty.
all repairs require the fender to be removed at the very least as well as the door in some cases
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?:  Various

Post by Merlin »

Thanks Armand.

Not rust, and not crash damage for sure.

The bug was stored in a really narrow passageway before I got it, so I think the owner was just careless with goods being carried past it or something.

Cheers, N.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, and oversteer, the rear.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
sled wrote:well obviously the UK is wrong.
forcecooled
Single Port
What model do you have?: 1970 1600 cc Beetle
South Africa

Post by forcecooled »

Hi
If you like , I will email before and after pics of sidepanel damage that will interest you, as it shows what can be done. Catch me on my mail adr and I will send them.
Cheers
Bill
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

You must remember that that bottom of this area tends to pick up a lot of moisture, and rusts from the inside out, many times it is just covered up with polly even fiber glass and made to look 100% but the horror remains. My mate bought his (restored) bug, the body looked fine but the passenger door was hanging a bit, on closer inspection after lifting the side panel carpet we found a lot of fiber glass filler, that seemed be how the rust problem was sorted, we removed the heater pipe from under the bonnet to see how extensive the polly was, the heater pipe was not even connected because the heater channel opening had been completely closed off by all the fiber glass polly they used to carry out the "rust repair / damage". There is now way of telling superficial if things are 100% unless you inspect them closely from the inside out.
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......