Ask and give advice here
No More Landy
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: Beetle 1971
Germany

Planning ahead for a restoration - Advice on parts

Post by No More Landy »

Hi Guys

I want to do a full restoration on my bug (1971)when I retire in 10 years or so and want to know if South Africa keep enough quality parts/seals etc. for this project.

I watched a few video's which are mostly USA based and they seem to have a massive selection (Eg. Wolfsburg West) of quality parts.

Do you guys get from local suppliers, are they quality and do they keep everything needed ?

Also, can one buy plug and play interior trim or is that best left to the experts - headlining, seats etc.

Just starting to plan slowly making my list and get one big order in for all the rubbers and spares that I can see with my eye I will need.

Thanks all.

1971 Beetle
2021 Polo tsi
2006 Defender Kalahari
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Re: Planning ahead for a restoration - Advice on parts

Post by 73type2 »

For parts that are unavailable locally, it worked out better for me to get Dave from FFR to get parts in from overseas, rather than importing myself. Shared shipping benefit.
Riaan.N
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1975 1600 TP Beetle
South Africa

Re: Planning ahead for a restoration - Advice on parts

Post by Riaan.N »

I’ve basically being doing the same the last 5+ years, but not as a retirement project.

For me when it comes to rubbers, WolfsburgWest and BBT are the ones to look at. I can’t really comment on upholstery as I have not bought anything yet…what I have looked at are WolfsburgWest, Sewfine, TMI and still looking for local upholsters.

I have bought various parts OEM or good quality replacements from many local places like Golfwagen (hella, ate), Midas a few European places incl UK, Canada and US. My work has allowed me to visit a countries in the past, and this has helped a lot. There are also local businesses and persons that can help to source the parts you want.

The internet is your friend, the Zar/$/€|£ is not in our favour.