fuel- what to fill up with?

Ask and give advice here
hifibug57
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: jap-hybrid......
Germany

fuel- what to fill up with?

Post by hifibug57 »

here a response which i got from John Lemon :

I must admit to be totally confused about this whole fuel issue. Most people I have spoken to say that with the Beetle motor LRP should be used but with a timing change only if the car pings. I haven't filled up my bug with the new fuel yet.

As far as additives are concerned, I have been told on good authority that the LRP is to be discontinued in about two years time. Only then will it be necessary to add an additive to protect the valve-seats when ULP is used. Some authorities on the subject say you can even use ULP without an additive in a Beetle engine as long as you don't use more than 60% throttle openings for long periods. I am not too happy about that right now and would rather stick to LRP.

It is heat at the valve-seat that causes the problem (lead was used amongst other things to cool down the situation) so the Beetle motor being air-cooled and running hot, plus running at quite wide throttle openings to keep up with modern day traffic, could be a problem. I don't think there are any additives to protect valve-seats on the market yet but Castrol will be introducing one in the not too distant future.

Hope that helps a bit.

ratbugg
Drip

Post by ratbugg »

I don't know if it still available but there used to an additive that boosted the octane rating to 100. This was twenty odd years ago so I imagine that it was probably lead based.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Yeah, this whole phasing out of leaded fuel is not good news for us aircoolers. :cry:

I've heard so much conflicting advice that I've just decided to ignore it all and keep filling with LRP. I haven't changed the timing and haven't noticed a problem with LRP and pinging, but I'm going to be keeping an eagle eye on the valve gaps to see if there's any evidence of the seats receding.

The other thing is that LRP will only be sold where there is sufficient demand, so it may be a good idea to start filling up at the same garage always in the hope that they keep stocking it.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
beetlepower
Twin Port
What model do you have?: Beetle, Squareback
South Africa

Post by beetlepower »

m filling up with lrp but i am adding injections of lrp and octane booster, that i got from engen garage just in case
'NO TYRE SHALL BE LEFT UNSMOKED'

@reubenvn on twitter
https://www.instagram.com/elbowgreasemonkeyza/
XV Pilot
Drip

Post by XV Pilot »

My engine will be due for a rebuild in about 2 years, so I'll probably take that opportunity to put in hardened valve seats and run it on unleaded. In the mean time, Bev Bug seems happy enough on LRP now that I have retarded her timing a smidgin.

- XV
RotorBug
Drip
What model do you have?: 1958

Post by RotorBug »

Buy proper 102 octane race fuel.Its leaded and imported.
Only R6.75 per liter , but you'll gain some more horses.With the high octane you could run a bit higher C/R and more timing.
Yust a thought........
"When in doubt......use ducktape!"
1974 Baja....To become mid-engined, V8 powered....killer
1958 Beetle "Project Skillie"

Custom rebuilds and restorations.
Scubby/Rotary adaptors ect...
Jacques 0722501300
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

Even leaded 102 is being phased out..........