Sinsheim Auto Museum, Germany

No not Dalmations, pictures of ACVW's you spotted!
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Sinsheim Auto Museum, Germany

Post by Pine »

When I was in Europe in 2000, I had the wonderful opportunity to visit the Sinsheim Auto Museum in Germany. I didn't have a digital camera at the time, only a video camera, but it was the most remarkable collection of cars that I have ever seen. Some of the cars I saw that day for the first time with my own eyes, were:

- Schwimmwagen
- Kommandeurwagen (military 4x4 Beetle)
- Ferrari F40
- Porsche 959 (Dakar Rally version), I am yet to see a road-going 959 with my own eyes
- Aston Martin DB5
- DMC Delorean

They also had a Porsche Speedster which had a huge front-end smash in a glass case. I thought at first it was James Dean's car, but it was a different car. Found these pics of that same car on the Net:

The pics and text below of that same museum were posted recently on MCCH, I would really like to go back to it some time again:
A Volkswagen Type 82E. The germans took a standard type 82 Kübelwagen and proceeded to put a body on it of what would eventually become one of the most famous cars in the world. The 82E was thought for non-combat military staff and communications to get from A to B dry. The museum has two of these no less, next to multiple regular type 82's.

Of course the Type 166 Schwimmwagen shouldn't be left out of this setup.

An Opel Blitz from the later days of the war when there was already a shortage of fuel and metals. The truck runs on a woodgas generator seen just behind the cab. The cab itself is not much more than a wooden box with some platework. Inside is a sign telling us to keep a look out for aeroplanes.

A Caterpillar D4 bulldozer from 1940, flanked by the giant D9.

A Harley Davidson type J from 1929. Not really a powerhouse with the 23 hp, 1 litre engine. Standard equipped with a kickstarter, chain drive and 3 gears.

The first real motorcycle in the world. Built in 1894 by Hildebrand and Wolfmüller in München. Equipped with a 1488 cc engine, packing a whopping 2.5 hp.

Simply parked on the roof: the supersonic airliner Concorde.

And just in front of that the Tupolev TU-144, also known by its' nickname "Concordski". Funny detail is that the Tupolev was actually airborne a few months before the Concorde. Unfortunately the plane was subject to a number of technical defects cutting its' career in the skies drastically short.

A pic from the hall that has the planes on the roof. Tucked into a corner are a number of locomotives.

From the selection of microcars: A Messerschmitt Kabinenroller. Three-wheelers were a solution in the lean times as they were taxed as a motorcycle. This meant that they were quite a bit cheaper to own than four-wheeled cars.

A glance down from the balcony give a small impression of how these rooms are filled.

The smallest limousine in the world offered room to a family with three children. Due to the 250 cc, 2-cylinder engine the little car could cruise around at 72 kilometres an hour. This Glas Goggomobil was made in 1959.

A car named after a god with two faces; the Zündapp Janus. One door in the front and one in the back and two benches back to back.

The thoroughbred in the stables. A Ferrari 250 GT convertible from 1959 with a Ferrari 342 America from 1953 in the background.

A popular family car from the early 60's. The Opel Kadett A.

Between 1912 and 1914 about 3000 models of this Peugeot Bébé were built. A staggering amount for those days. Something that catches the eye is the signature of Ettore Bugatti on the radiator. Even though he had already founded his company in 1910 Bugatti did a lot of work for other producers in the first few years. This baby Peugeot is designed on Bugatti's type 19.

The second oldest Audi in existence today. An Audi E (type 22/55) from 1913. The car is in excellent shape and according to the plaque the 3.5 litre, 55 hp engine can still propel the car to 100 km/h (60 mph) without much effort.

The Porsche 597 "Jagdwagen" came to life from a design order for the german army. The car can reach 100 km/h, has a watertight tub and can handle inclines up to 65%. Unfortunately it never got to a factory order so only 70 were built. This one was built in 1957.

For when you have to cross terrain with style. A Mercedes G4 from 1938. Between 1933 and '38 72 of these were built with army generals in mind. A big portion of these however saw service driving Hitler around and becoming presents for his pals like Mussolini and Franco.

A beautiful Benz fire truck from 1928 with a Metz DS 25 ladder. Built in Mannheim and Gaggenau just before the company took on the name Mercedes. A similar one, also from 1928, is in the museum at Speyer. Contrary to this "common" Benz that one does have the star ornament and the Mercedes brand name.

At the end of the war people would do anything to make a living for themselves. And so this Maybach, once a symbol of pure luxury, ended up being converted to a mobile band saw. The owner operated the saw until 1986. In his will he left the car to the museum with the condition that it would never be restored and would be kept as is.

A nice setup of a Porsche 911 racer and the accompanying Volkswagen T2 service van.

Tyrell project 34 with its' Ford engine is one of the most iconic Formula 1 cars that have been on the track. The car with its' double front wheels was also successful. That success ran out when Goodyear decided not to make the small front tyres anymore.

Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Re: Sinsheim Auto Museum, Germany

Post by Dawie »

Very interesting...
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

:hangloose: Cool post and pics - thanks !
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
vlekki
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: '71 beetle

Post by vlekki »

you should've kept the best for last... all this time I was wondering- HOW THE F... DID THEY GET THAT SUPERSONIC AIRLINER UP THERE?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." - Ambrose Bierce

not my bunny
Jacques Keyser 0842567780
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Maybe the pilot just decided to parked it there :lol:

Spot the mistake on the type 82E...(Clue- the "crotch coolers" was a one year only item). So unless this one was originally built in 1951...
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
splitbusahollic
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a couple of buses
Facebook: vintage kombi
South Africa

Post by splitbusahollic »

shot for posting this ! :hangloose:
very interesting.
vintage kombi.co.za (Website)
vintage kombi on Facebook