MPV - RENAULT ESPACE

Non ACVW models.
VIV
Drip
What model do you have?: 1962 beetle

MPV - RENAULT ESPACE

Post by VIV »

I am looking at the Renault Espace (Pre-owned) as a kids taxi ( My wife and Kids love this vehicle) , I recently came across an on-line Ad for one in excellent nick ( 2006 ) 2.0 T version for R 138 000 and 90000km on the odo, but pristine in and out. I dropped by the dealer - An Automark Dealer ( Non Renault Dealer ) to have a look see , saw the vehicle parked and opened the door,it was unlocked,and found it to be very very clean indeed,however the odo reading was showing 97500 km , 7500 km difference from the advertised figure, is a huge discrepancy indeed , my question is : on this basis - what do i offer for the vehicle in lieu of the extra KM's ?

Tom Bishop
Single Port
What model do you have?: A Yellow 181
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1321084423

Re: MPV - RENAULT ESPACE

Post by Tom Bishop »

Its a Renault. Base your price on how much fuel is in the tank.
”Experience is what you get when you do not get what you want”
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Post by karmakoma »

Sheesh, Tom that is a bit harsh. I have had no hassles with the renaults we have owned to date. Perhaps we have been fortunate.

One thing I will say is this, service history on a renault is EXTREMELY important. If maintenance was not done by the book, there will be expensive repairs. If you have the option to take an extended warranty on it, it will be money well spent if you don't know the cars history well.

The Espace was never a volume seller, so not many around 2nd hand to compare prices to. If the car has been sitting on his lot for a while, try a low figure like R128k ? You never know, the dealer can only say no, and you try again. OR, tell him you'll pay full asking if he includes an extended 3 year warranty, registration, licensing and all the other sneaky fees they try push onto you?
VIV
Drip

Post by VIV »

Thanks Karma :P appreciate your advice :wink:
Webster
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Karmann Ghias

Post by Webster »

Looks like a simple equation to me - and I love equations.
Lets see: Original price 138,000 for car with 90,000k
So if now 7,500K more it goes like this
Cost for car with 90,000k = 1,53333333333333333333333333333333333333 per km
SO if now 97500K value of car = 82500 X 1,533333333333333333333333333 = R126,499.77777777.
BUT for bulshite factrore, would suggest you get cheeky and go in at R125,000.
Mathamatically this logic can not be disproved?????
Webster
VIV
Drip

Post by VIV »

I was thinking along the same lines 8) ...thanks
zubz
Valve
What model do you have?: 62 LHD Rag, 69 Auto

Post by zubz »

Before you plan to buy any Renault MPV, Citroen etc you need to listen to Adam and Saggie on Fri evening Radio 702 & Capetalk, call in when its open time and they will laugh at you till you feel embaressed...

These MPV's have terrible resale value, parts and servicing sometimes are an issue...as per them and they are fugly looking family cars....
ZeroAxe
Drive Train
What model do you have?: FUmobile

Post by ZeroAxe »

On my 3rd Renault. No HUGE problems.

A Renault Clio in the UK. Served us well and never had a problem with it(I even bought it second hand!!!)

1st Renault Scenic. Bought it second hand with 120 000km on the odo. I just sold it last weekend with 317 000km on the odo. Had 2 problems with it. One major one, the gearbox packed up. Somehow it lost oil from the gearbox through the CV boot or something like that. Gearboxes dont like running without oil. Second problem not major at all. The electric fuel cutoff valve packed up and the car couldnt start. This greasemonkey friend of mine snipped the wire and hey presto! Started up again. Problem is I couldnt switch it off with the ignition!! :lol: Had to stall it. Well, a freebie valve and problem solved.

On the 2nd Scenic now and all good so far!
VW Enthusiast
ImageImageImageImage
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Post by karmakoma »

Also on our 2nd scenic, its still young, but no issues even after our +- 7000km Namibia trip.
My Jetta 4 gearbox went after 160 000km, so I guess it happens to all of them. All our cars get every scheduled service on time, so maintenance was not the issue.

So far the attitude at Renault has also been a lot better than what I got from VW....

The resale is not great, true, my friend teases us that once you buy a renault you are married to it, as they are the only ones who will offer you a reasonable trade-in :-). They are making strides in improving that though, and the fact that they now produce cars locally bodes well for their future in S.A.

2c
VIV
Drip

Post by VIV »

One of the reasons we were looking at the Espace apart from the sheer size ,is also the low risk (not to say it would not happen,just not as much as other high risk vehicles) of theft/hijacking and when the family is concerned , I think re-sale takes a "back seat" to family safety.From as aesthetics point of view ,the design aspects are down to personal tastes,like the Fiat Multipla which I think was horrendous, however many families bought into the fugliness,based on the fact that the vehicle was such a low risk in both the theft and hijacking stats.
ZeroAxe
Drive Train
What model do you have?: FUmobile

Post by ZeroAxe »

Ja-nee f*k. Rahter have a Renault Espace than a Fiat Multipla :shock: :surprised: :twak:
VW Enthusiast
ImageImageImageImage
zubz
Valve
What model do you have?: 62 LHD Rag, 69 Auto

Post by zubz »

ZeroAxe wrote:Ja-nee f*k. Rahter have a Renault Espace than a Fiat Multipla :shock: :surprised: :twak:
AGREE...
Fiat Multipla
is Fcuking Fugly....
TimO
Drip
What model do you have?: Wanted Vw Eagle!!!!!

Post by TimO »

I've also owned 2x renaults... superb cars really....

We currently have the Grand Scenic II 7 seater... which isn't too bad to work on....

The Espace's are few & far between... and a Bi$%^ to work on... Y not look at the Scenic?