Rétromobile 2009 (Warning: lots of pics)

Non ACVW models.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Rétromobile 2009 (Warning: lots of pics)

Post by Pine »

From another forum

Rétromobile 2009. Aaaaaaaah ! This was a rather quiet one… Nonetheless I stood there six hours and I intend to go back next Sunday.

Let’s start the visit, shall we ?

This year’s theme was “One century of new energies”. Meaning that all these innovative solutions about saving oil and being cleaner have already been tested, and sometimes a long time ago, and are only making a comeback.

A great American classic : Stanley Steamer 1903

A replica of the historic model La Jamais Contente. Driven by Camille Jenatzy, this electric car was the first ever to break the 100 km per hour barrier, in 1899.

Until the first world war, Harrod’s of London used American electric trucks. They came back later to this idea, but had their own models built. This is a 1939 Harrod’s One Ton.

This Mékarski streetcar was in use in Nantes from 1879 to 1917. Other cities had them, including Paris. They were propelled by compressed air.

And now, Citroën, of course !

Citroën will celebrate it’s ninetieth birthday as a car maker in 2009. This 10HP Type A was their first model in 1919

This Citroën U23 20 seats coach from 1947 has been reclaimed over Corsican nature and is now under restoration.

A DS Chapron cabriolet reached a new record at the Bonham auction : 340 000 €.

1970 SM.

Isn’t it gorgeous ? Robert Opron’s work of art in its purest form, A CX 2000 Super 1977

And there was a lot of Peugeots too.

This Peugeot 3 litres ran at Indianapolis in 1920 and 1921. Peugeot is a three times winner of the race.

My favourite : a 1951 203 “small window”. If Norev could hurry, we’d have one in the spring !

203 Darl’Mat in 1952. These were lower, top shopped, beefed up cars built by a Parisian Peugeot agent, Emile Darl’Mat. He had built magnificent roadsters and coupés in the thirties and ran them at Le Mans 24 hours.

A huge number of other classic (and less classic) French cars were for display, or for sale.

This year’s edition was loaded with Bugattis. This one is the “garage find” Atalante sold at Bonham. A pity some new owners took their cars just after the sale, including, halas, the ex- Roland Garros “Black Bess” and a gorgeous SM Opéra sedan by Chapron.

Another Atalante from 1936, and just out of restoration.

A classic pre war Delahaye.

A Delage D8 100 cabriolet, body by Labourdette, 1937

Another Labourdette body, on a 1936 Delahaye 148 L. Note the Vutotal windshield.

1963 Hotchkiss Willys Longue

Panhard PL 17 Tigre. The not really subtle colour is called Bush Fire red. And the car was really sold with these interior fabrics. Wow.

A front wheel drive 1937 Georges Irat roadster.

Gorgeous in its misery, a barn found Delahaye

And foreign encounters throughout the exhibition :

Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A Roadster, body by Castagna

The Alfa Romeo Spyder that was not at the Artcurial auction was on their stand in Retromobile. A 6C 1750 from 1929

Another Alfa Romeo, Bertone bodied Giulia Sprint Speciale 1965

Not many Ferrari this year. 1965 250 LM. Quality over quantity.

Mercedes Benz W165 Tripoli Grand Prix 1939

Mercedes 300 SLR.

The “cyclop” Rover, with a drophead body

Jaguar E Type 3,8l 1964. When in doubt, pain or depression, always have a XKE. It helps !

And a XKSS Roadster 1957 isn’t bad either !

BMW 328 Roadster. I never get tired of these.

Opel Kapitän cabriolet 1939, body by Gläser of Dresden

I hope you enjoyed the show, see you next year !

Frédéric