Hanging Beetle !

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Hubcap
Clutch
What model do you have?: 59 KG

Hanging Beetle !

Post by Hubcap »

'We caught them red-handed'

February 03 2009 at 08:36AM

A prank to hang a Volkswagen Beetle from a major bridge failed on Monday, landing five engineering students in handcuffs and their car at the bottom of the ocean.

A concerned citizen reported a disturbance on the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge in this western Canadian metropolis, Constable Lindsey Houghton told AFP.

Police found "a group of fine young University of British Columbia engineering students attempting to hang a VW Bug over the side," said Houghton, laughing. "We caught them red-handed."

Pranks, often involving hanging VW Beetles off high places such as San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge, have taken place annually for decades at major North American engineering schools.

But the Vancouver students' stunt suffered a rare technical failure and the culprits were caught.

"Their rope and pulley system failed, and the car plunged into the murky depths of Burrard Inlet," said Houghton, adding the students "should perhaps be reviewing their ropes and pulleys lectures and take that class over."

Bruce Dunwoody, associate engineer dean at the University of British Columbia, said "the whole escapade is an embarrassment and the fact they failed doesn't make it any better."

The university has tried to discourage the illegal pranks, Dunwoody told AFP.

"Students see it as an opportunity to display their growing talents in technically challenging areas. I see it somewhat differently," he said. "I was relieved nobody was hurt."

Five men in their early 20s were arrested and released pending charges of mischief, she said.

Dunwoody said the case will also be examined by the university. - Sapa-AFP

beetlepower
Twin Port
What model do you have?: Beetle, Squareback
South Africa

Re: Hanging Beetle !

Post by beetlepower »

I hope it wasnt a split or oval
'NO TYRE SHALL BE LEFT UNSMOKED'

@reubenvn on twitter
https://www.instagram.com/elbowgreasemonkeyza/
JohnHoffe
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: Buggy,Fleetline,Ghia

Post by JohnHoffe »

Next time they must try a Shwimmwagen, at least they can drive it out the water when their newly acquired engineering skills let them down!! :oops:
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

beetlepower wrote:I hope it wasnt a split or oval
I hope it was :twisted:
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Blitzkrieg wrote:
beetlepower wrote:I hope it wasnt a split or oval
I hope it was :twisted:
Now you have learnd something new regarding the Oval a blue Ford Oval you arer reffering to I`m right I`m right :hangloose:
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Chris »

And the other side of the story:

"I'm so frustrated with the petty comments that question the academic ability of the students. They are in their fourth year of engineering, they KNOW which cables to use. In fact, I know they used 2 10,000 pound weight load cables to lower the vehicle. So, how is it that the cables mysteriously "broke" while the city crew tried to pull the car back up. Which leads me to another point: the general public doesn't know that the VW fell into the water AFTER the students left the 'scene'. This story was so falsely reported, it's ludicrous. Showing the students in handcuffs and relating their activities to bridge suicide is a VERY SICK way to sensationalize.

I am utterly disgusted with how this story was portrayed, and I hope justice prevails. The students should make a statement, so the public can understand all sides. Sure, edited clips of interviews have been shown, but has the truth?

The media has sensationalized a negative atmosphere that invites biased, ignorant comments. Should you be so quick to judge? Have you thought about these students who have carried on a 20+ year tradition?

Students, the discerning of us don't buy the B.S., so don't be disheartened.

Good luck to future prank-pursuers! Better luck next time."

Damn,I'm good!
Beach Buggy (Running and now Aircooled!)
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi