1021 Spotted in Knysna

No not Dalmations, pictures of ACVW's you spotted!
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

1021 Spotted in Knysna

Post by Pine »

An unexpected surprise in a parkade in Knysna yesterday - one of possibly two privately-owned project 1021 cars. This car was discussed here on ACVWSA previously, but it is the first time I've seen another one than the one standing at Auto Pavillion in Uitenhage.

beetlepower
Twin Port
What model do you have?: Beetle, Squareback
South Africa

Re: 1021 Spotted in Knysna

Post by beetlepower »

Wow, cool spot
'NO TYRE SHALL BE LEFT UNSMOKED'

@reubenvn on twitter
https://www.instagram.com/elbowgreasemonkeyza/
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Looks a bit like a Larda.
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

Welcome back Pine...you out on parole? ;-)
You can never have enough Garages :-(
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

Eugene wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:29 pm Welcome back Pine...you out on parole? ;-)
:lol:
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

Some interesting info I found on the web, I do not know why the one car has a UK registration number?
B-KNPro_84.jpg
B-KNPro_82.jpg
Take a nice long look at those two handsome vehicles up there. They have that clean, square-jawed look of an early Range Rover, don’t they? They look like rational, practical examples of mid-late ‘70s truck and SUV design. There’s something very surprising about them, though. Think you know what it is?

They’re Beetles.

Well, to be a bit more accurate, they’re both built on a standard Volkswagen Type I, rear-engined chassis. In this case, that chassis was built by Volkswagen of South Africa, as some experimental prototypes to try out some new body design and materials ideas for future, VW aircooled-based cars and trucks.

These images were sent to me by Andy Ryan, where they’re part of this page that’s full of fascinating VW prototypes and a likely source for many future stories here https://sowirdsgemacht.com/etzold-archi ... rie-gingen (Andy also does some delightful car art you should check out, too.)

As someone who actively and obsessively seeks out obscure VW prototypes and strange stillborn concepts, every time I encounter something new, I’m filled with awe and wonder at the vastness of the world that’s still unknown to me. It’s humbling, and I relish that shaky feeling of wonder and disbelief that happens whenever I encounter some forgotten VW prototype I never knew before.

And these right here, these astoundingly un-Beetle-like rugged vehicles, these are a wonderful dose of this glorious madness.

Looking at them, there’s a number of clues that reveal their origins. I think if I just saw these pictures with no context, there’s a few things I could puzzle out from just the images:

• First, I can tell they’re South African because of the little white reflectors under the indicators on the bumper. Those were required on all South African cars up until around the early 1990s.

• The fuel filler location on the front fender suggests a front-mounted gas tank, something unusual for a car with a front-mounted engine.

• The little air-intake vents on the sides of both cars and the larger air scoop on the D-pillar of the SUV also hint at an unexpected engine location.

• Those awesome wheels were also used on the South African VW 1600 S and the Fun Bug and other Beetles.

• If you look carefully, you can barely make out details of the VW chassis and the front torsion tube suspension.

I haven’t been able to find out anything about these cars anywhere else on the Internet, at least not yet. They seem to have bodies made from plastic and fiberglass, which sort of makes them like South African versions of the Gurgel cars, which put SUV and truck plastic bodies on standard VW chassis.

Since these are the only pictures of these I’ve seen, I’m going to try and guess the interior layout of these myself. The boxy, tall bodies should offer plenty of interior room, and the trunk volume should be pretty decent.

The tall ride-height also makes me wonder if maybe these were using the portal axles and raised suspension from the Type II buses or the Type 181/VW Thing?

That trunk would also be remarkably well-ventilated, if those front grilles do anything at all. Maybe they feed the fresh-air ventilation system, like the front grilles on a Karmann-Ghia?

The height of the bodies should help keep good rear cargo room despite the tall profile of the Beetle’s upright-fan air-cooled engines. VW had lower-profile engines for the Types III and IV, but I don’t think those were built in VW’s South African branch. At best, they may have used the side-mounted air cleaner from the Bus to save a few extra inches in height.

Here’s my best guesses for how these were packaged:
lbltgjymnrhyvagbef2h.png
v9oiibnmvjgkd69owtsu.png
As you can see, the tall VW engine would have made high load floors and truck beds, but the extra space offered by the front trunk would have offset that pretty well. In the case of the pickup, an under-bed storage locker could have been added, in the same way that Volkswagen did with their design of the Type II single-cab pickup.

As of now, I have no idea what happened to these amazing vehicles, but I’m looking into it, and will see what else I can find out. The pair of these are incredible refugees from a future that never happened, one where maybe clever body design could have carried the old, ‘30s era Beetle platform into strange new places. Places that look a lot like early Range Rovers.

UPDATE: Thanks to reader Oliver Guin, I now know this was referred to as Project 1021, and here are some more pics ! https://ohiovalleyvws.weebly.com/blog/v ... oject-1021
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

Man, that bakkie is sweet....both configurations actually
You can never have enough Garages :-(
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

Well after sending the pics to Jason Torchinsky from the Jalopnik site (who already had some valuable information on the 1021 posted), he replied with an article on Jalopnik headed There's Someone in South Africa Daily Driving a Crazy Rare Volkswagen Prototype Like It's No Big Deal :lol:

Nice writeup here: https://jalopnik.com/theres-someone-in- ... 1831082972 - the comments are hillarious
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Welcome back Pine we missed these stories.
Its a nice story on the Beetle the lady owner really put on the miles,she must have been impressed with the upgrade that VW made to her car.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Last I spoke to John Lemon, he said that he was involved in the 1021 project

That there where 3 built to completion and he also know who had them.

He also told me why the 3 doors and a few other things, but cannot remember them now, do not want to put misinformation out, but I am sure if you got hold of him he would give you more info to keep here on the forum for future reference

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

According to a book I have, there were 3 of them made. 2x station wagons and 1x pick-up.

Note 5 doors:
1021.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

Look closely at the pics!!! 2 doors on the passanger side and only 1 door on the drivers side!.
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

buggyfan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:47 am Look closely at the pics!!! 2 doors on the passanger side and only 1 door on the drivers side!.
Could also be 2 different cars, one 3-door and one 5-door. The missing doors (according to the jalopnik article there was no rear hatch either) may also have been a prototype thing with the intention to install doors for the production that never happened.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

It only has 3 doors.

If my memory serves me right, it was designed to have 3 Passenger doors, as would a Kombi.

This would mean that your passengers at the back would not exit into traffic as well as the strength of the body was maintained.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

@Drusky do you still have the concept sketch that you posted in a previous thread?

@TonyE do you still have the friend with the pickup.
Last edited by buggyfan on Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;