Forum rules
Only post pictures of YOUR cars here.
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Save the T3's - My collection

Post by sean »

I know these below are not aircooled, but there are some T3's that are. Its just a thread to share some info regarding them and to also watch out for nice examples that come up to preserve them. They to will get older and become more and more difficult to find in a nice condition. Save them before its too late. The first ones were launched in 1980, so they are also getting on at 38 years of age.

Oh, and just for Herman, they WILL become sought after one day. They were not all just taxi's. :wink:

Here are a few examples I have collected in the last while and a couple of differences between the models.

This one is the entry level model (Volksiebus) which was manufactured by VWSA. It was fitted from the factory with a 1.8L Golf motor that is tilted on its side to fit under the engine deck. It has a 4 speed gearbox with low ratios for weak engine. These motors were later discontinued and substituted by the 2.3 5 cylinder in the Volksiebus. I can understand why because the the Golf motor really is a piece of crap in a kombi.

My one was converted into a camper which included adding the high roof. It was done by Cocks campers in Brackenfell and probably one of the best camping configurations to have in a bus.

Single front headlights were fitted to the entry level models.
They also had no rev counter fitted, no power steering and no a/c.

This one was the mid level (Microbus) which you could choose extra's like power steering and aircon. This is also a fully manufactured kombi by VWSA. They came standard with the double round headlights and 5 cylinder motors. This is an early example of a VWSA bus (1992) so it has the 2.5 5 cylinder with mechanical fuel injection. I personally feel the 2.5i pulls the best out of the 5 cylinder range but it is also the most heaviest on fuel. They have a slightly low ratio 5 speed gearbox.

I'm not sharing too many pics of this one as its a bit crusty, but it runs well. :oops: Its a one owner bus, but was quite heavily used and has incorrect parts fitted like Caravelle bumper.

This one below was the top of the range Caravelle and also featured a few unique differences coming to the end of its life being manufactured by VWSA. This is a 2001 model, but they stopped mid 2002. It has the 2.6i 5 cylinder engine with a higher ratio 5 speed gearbox and a much more fuel economical Motronic electronic fuel injection. These last Caravelle's have the most appealing looks to me.

The very later Caravelle models feutered a nicely padded dash and leather steering wheel
They were also fitted with down-lights, headrests and arm rests in the passenger chairs.

My latest addition is this 1989 Syncro. They really are quite appealing to drive. Prior to VWSA manufacturing there own from around 1991, the kombi's were manufactured in Germany but locally assembled. This Syncro is a German model and were only available with the 2.1 WBX4 or very rare WBX6. The German kombi's are very easy to spot as the have the smaller side windows and larger rear air intakes. The South African kombi's are referred to as big windows due to the larger side windows. My one unfortunately doesnt have the 2.1i motor anymore, but is fitted with the 2.6i Audi V6 which uses the same bellhousing etc as a 5 cylinder, so it is a very neat conversion. The 2.1i motors were problematic, so several conversions are seen in Syncro's. Its also had 15" kombi wheels fitted when the 14" mags are standard, but again, its very common to have the bigger wheels on the Syncro's.

The earlier German bus definitely used a nice more resilient fabric than that of the SA models.

I would really like to add a lovely 1980 or 1981 air cooled T3 to my collection, please inform me if a really nice one is spotted for sale.

Cheers
Sean

64 Notchback
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 69 Baja bug, Sand R
South Africa

Re: Save the T3's - My collection

Post by 64 Notchback »

Very nice collection you have Sean.
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

Yes, I love them T3s
Nice collection you have there Sean. Just need a single cab, double cab and panel van still.
You can never have enough Garages :-(
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 67 Panel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=536371512
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

Nice collection of T3s Sean !
---------- 67 Panelvan -----------
---------- 56 Oval ----------
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

Eugene wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:15 am Just need a single cab, double cab and panel van still.
He is still a youngster :lol: Sure he won't dissapoint us.
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

That 2.6 Activ model is truly a lovely vehicle to drive :hangloose:
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

sean wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:03 pm ........................ Herman, they WILL become sought after one day. They were not all just taxi's. :wink:
Now you can open your own Taxi rank..... :lol: :lol:

No without jokes, I have always liked the T3, but should I get one, it will have to be the Aircooled one.

Not sure when they stopped them, but think it was 1982 ??

Nice collection by the way, when are you going to re-name the workshop "Wolfsburg"

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

sean wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:03 pm .... My one unfortunately doesnt have the 2.1i motor anymore, but is fitted with the 2.6i Audi V6 which uses the same bellhousing etc as a 5 cylinder, so it is a very neat conversion.
:shock: Sean, it seems as if the V6 fits without having to fit the spacer as in upright Golf and other mods....is that so?
You can never have enough Garages :-(
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

Eugene wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 am
sean wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:03 pm .... My one unfortunately doesnt have the 2.1i motor anymore, but is fitted with the 2.6i Audi V6 which uses the same bellhousing etc as a 5 cylinder, so it is a very neat conversion.
:shock: Sean, it seems as if the V6 fits without having to fit the spacer as in upright Golf and other mods....is that so?
Hi Eugene

It is lower than a Golf motor, but no, the engine bay is raised like the 5 cylinder kombi's were as well. The T3 kombis designed to take the Boxer motors had a very low engine bay, only boxer motors or that very strange Golf motor that lays on its side can fit in there. The V6 will however fit into a bay windows engine bay without having to lift it. Due to its wide V and fuel injection intake manifold, it is much lower than a more old fashioned carb engine. Its bellhousing is even a straight swap on a bay's gearbox. But, don't even think of installing water cooled's man!
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

sean wrote:
Its bellhousing is even a straight swap on a bay's gearbox. But, don't even think of installing water cooled's man!
You had me full of ideas up to this point ;-)
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Tony Z wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:37 pm
sean wrote:
Its bellhousing is even a straight swap on a bay's gearbox. But, don't even think of installing water cooled's man!
You had me full of ideas up to this point ;-)
I fully agree with you Tony, Sean is instructing us all to fit Audi V6 motors, which makes sense.

Next show all the Bay's will have V6 Motors. :twisted:

If its good enough for Sean, Its good enough for us all.

Just think about it, we can now join the Audi club, The V6 Club, the VW club, the aircooled club, and the Bay club.

:hiding:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

No no, yiu not taking out the grinder Herman. You may not have to hack an engine bay, but You will for sure be cutting somewhere to install the radiator. None of this please.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

sean wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 pm No no, yiu not taking out the grinder Herman. You may not have to hack an engine bay, but You will for sure be cutting somewhere to install the radiator. None of this please.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

@Sean please post a pic of the enginebay from the 1 st bus. I would like to see the intake and sump on that motor. Thanks
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

Ok. so here is my latest addition of the first air cooled T3 kombi to my collection.

Its a 1982 double cab with standard CU 2l motor.

I purchased it in JHB, but just used a transporter to bring this one down. I really didn't feel motivated for the drive to JHB.

The first part was to remove these white wheels it arrived with.

A quick swap of standard wheels and hubcaps with some new tyres was an immediate improvement.

It wasn't running on arrival, but after a days working of sorting out electrical and fuel issues, it was up and running. I drove it for a while, but motor wasn't pulling great. I determined I didnt have valves opening fully. I stripped the motor and found one of the lobes on the camshaft was completely worn away, it had actually become round. :? . Quite strange as the other 3 lobes seemed ok.

After realising the motor was a little tired, I rather just slapped in a recon engine to get it up and running well.

Other mechanical areas are good, but body needs some work. It must just wait its turn for now.