'74 Devon Bay Camper - Winston

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Re: '74 Devon Bay Camper - Winston

Post by acpaterson »

Thanks buddy.
Predominantly an easy-ish job.. As long as everything fits properly, is bent on the window corners properly, it shouldn't be a problem. Although these kits were from Just Kampers in the UK, and was very pleased with their fit, and the quality. So, should help to keep the rain out a LOT more than what I used to have on Winston.
next up, replace the oil sump with new heavy duty sump and single drain bolt type. Then going to redo tappets, timing and new oil etc.. Will see how he runs. am looking to possibly fit a larger carb, or dual's just for a little extra power.

Alan

acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

So, pretty much 12 months from conception to this. Winston's been completely rebuilt, catering more for our love of watersports, surfing, standup paddleboarding etc, (so no carpets inside), as well as one or two night camping, making life as comfortable as possible for us. His motor's purring along, glad I spent the money there, as well as new gearbox and drivetrain, so reliability should be very high for now.

Just want to clean up the front area a bit more, and possibly source and fit a parcel tray under the dash. But otherwise, we're good to go. Hope to see (and meet) a lot of other bus owners around in the future.

Safe travels, and happy holidays guys.

Regards

Alan
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Nice to see its now in time for the holidays.it will be turning many heads on its travels I am sure of that and no dought the guys across the pond will like it.You could not have asked for a better finish all though I would break the red and white with a blue thin pin stripe. but that would be my choice, but man its sweet.
Have a good one and happy travels.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

FINALLY packed the boards and took Winston on a run out to Misty Cliffs. Went up Ou Kaapse Weg, 3rd gear, about 60 km/h, round the top hairpin changed to 4th, went over the top past Silvermine, about 85\90 km.. Engine's going really well. Finally got to Crayfish Factory carpark near Soetwater resort, jumped out, and asked the missus to grab the dip stick and hold it for 5 seconds.. No problem, so oil temp is very good for now. Had an hour's kneeboard surf, first time in 12 years, was really cool to be back in the Ocean.

Trundled back home via a HECTICALLY busy Muzies, wow how popular has that spot become. Grabbed a lunch at Tiger tiger, then headed home. picked up a small jerk near home, so whipped off the carb, found a LOAD of crap floating in the bowl, even with new fuel filter. stripped and cleaned properly, reset all mixture screws correctly, made new Gasket, bolted back down, connected, cranked the key, fired up and idles perfectly. Fast round the block, all solid.

For now, I'm happy. Absolutely No issues to report, for a change.

Happy Holidays guys.

Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN ADDING A GUNSLINGER STICKER TO THAT 'SURF BUS' OF YOURS.
LET us KNOW AND SEND YOUR ADDRESS IF THE ANSWER IS "YES".
LOOKS THE BOMB!

MARK & Cyndi
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Howzit Mark,
I'm not sure what I'll do in the future.. These are all home made and will (and are) peeling off anyway, so they won't stay there.. I'll decide if I'm going to put decals on permanently or not, then I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer.

regards

Alan
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

I never noticed those stickers.
I am sure you could make a little extra selling old school replica stickers.
The old gotcha and Island style bring back memories. Now if you can find an Atlantic Energy sticker, then you are doing well...
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Nope, can't guarantee them, and there's still copyright issues on some of these logos, so, naa.. Besides, I don't need the added workload, and this way, my bus remains unique.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

So,
Had a chilled Xmas and New Year, no camps, but been finishing off some lose ends on Winston. One was my Inverter issue. I followed branden's build and bought pretty much the same equipment, being a 1000 Watt Modified Sinewave Samlex Inverter, however, this wasn't a guaranteed startup for the Fridge.. Now we're talking a small Hisense Bar Fridge here.. Frustration levels at an all time high, and 4 various sized, half working, half blown inverters later, I got an option on a true Sinewave Inverter off the Junk ads. Popped in to town and did a test as all the wiring is common between these things. Voila! Fridge can start on it's own with no excessive draw and runs perfectly. So, might be a minor thing for some, but it's been a problem I've been wanting to resolve for a while.

Last weekend we did a Fri and Sat nite at Berg River Campsite in the Franchoek Valley. Spent ALL DAY sitting in the rivver due to the heat, and really sweated it out at night, but a very cool Camp site, and very popular. This is my setup with branden's. We had about 20 people come through the site to look at the busses and the equipment.. Old school definitely draws attraction with these two..

All in all, a great weekend with great friends.
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor

VERY NICE!!!
IF YOU GUYS WANT A MORE COMFORTABLE SLEEP THOUGH I SUGGEST TURNING THE STRETCHER THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

JUST REMEMBER....IF YOU TRAVEL UP THIS WAY TO GIVE ME A SHOUT.

MARK
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

rotf.. THAT'S what I was doing wrong.. haa haaa..
(We had a little gust of wind that blew the Lilo's around the place, so we weighted them down.)

If I ever do go for a long roadtrip to my 2nd home, I'll certainly give you all a shout. depressing to hear how muich it's changed tho since I left there in the early 90's..

Cheers

Alan
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor

YOU AND ME BOTH.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

This past Sunday, we had a lucky gap in the Cape Town Storms, and had a "picnic Photoshoot" for a friends Classic clothing line and fashion accessory shop. Hopped up "Betty", Branden's bus, and off we went to Newlands Forest. Was a great day watching these awesome gals have a jol and pose all day for Pics..

Must say, having recently acquired a decent pair of 2nd hand EPC 34 Carbs, and brought in a fulls et of replacement jets and a new linkage bar via a friend, Winston is pretty much perfect for now. I also got a carb balancer so have got this motor idling perfectly, and the car runs great. I think one more small upgrade is I want to fit 1 Solar panel on the roof and a controller which will constantly keep my backup battery loaded so I can run the Fridge whenever we need to, and know the battery power is taken care of.

Good times ahead.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

December update.

So it's been pretty much 1 year since I finished Winstonthekombi. After cutting my losses with backyard mechanics, I took Sean's recommendation and got Arno from Andreno Motors to build me a Motor. a WEEK later and I collected my bus 2 weeks before Xmas and drove it home, and installed the newly purchased Weber ICT's and linkage, as well as fitting of various other mods and odds. I also had an Accuspark Electronic Points System installed by Arno, which has been flawless up until I re-fitted the new Carb Linkage system and connected the Accuspark power wrong way round. Anyway, it was kaput, I bought a replacement kit, fitted that and it's been 100% ever since.

Done a few "local" trips this year, the longest being a round trip of approx 650 Km's down to Cape Augulhas and back home, Winston's been running perfectly. Speed average on the various road trips isn't much over 100 to 110 km/h, which he does quite comfortably, and is more than enough. Most of the time we're sitting at 100 km's anyway. Having experimented with some jetting and idle jets, We're getting between 8.7 to 9.3 L per 100 km's, which I'm fine with considering. He has no flat spots under acceleration, can stand under the cover for a month and I can climb in and fire him up with no problems.

Attended a few Car shows, including joining Jolas and Sean and co at the Killarney event, as well as a few other modelling shoots, visits to the track, and beach trips. I bought a few bits in the UK which I still need to fit, including a camera and light in the engine bay, which will also give peace of mind that I can see whats happening in the there at any time.

Overall, I'm very pleased with how he turned out, and his reliability is proving many theory's wrong about aircooled cars. I think if things are just done properly, and logically, it should all function seamlessly. And wherever we go with him, there's always waves and greetings and people wanting to have a look inside and ask questions about who built it and if he's for sale or not.

Anyway, hope you guys all travel safely if you are going on vacation. If you're not, have a good break, take time off to chill and relax, and put your feet up for a change.
Happy Holidays guys and girls.

Alan, Dee and Winston the Kombi

jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

The joys of Kombi ownership :hangloose:
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.