To 009 or not to 009 that is the question

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
TheRookie
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Not yet
South Africa

To 009 or not to 009 that is the question

Post by TheRookie »

I was recently told by Dawie that 009 is not the shiz .

I like the advice he gave me and very valuable .

My question is who of you is using 009 and why

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: To 009 or not to 009 that is the question

Post by Tony Z »

As per my other post, the 009's available today are rather questionable in terms of quality.
For a stockish engine the SVDA is best, but all engines can run on a mechanical advance only system, they just use a little more fuel.
That said, the best units available (if you want to pay for them) are the CB Performance Magnaspark 2000 kits.
But if your carbs have vacuum ports, and you dont need a big spark to power your engine, the stock SVDA dizzy is a great call, and when coupled to a quality electronic ignition conversion, they are fantastic. Thats what I'm using in my bus, the SVDA with a GTech system.
TheRookie
Oil Leak
South Africa

Post by TheRookie »

Tony Z wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:34 am As per my other post, the 009's available today are rather questionable in terms of quality.
For a stockish engine the SVDA is best, but all engines can run on a mechanical advance only system, they just use a little more fuel.
That said, the best units available (if you want to pay for them) are the CB Performance Magnaspark 2000 kits.
But if your carbs have vacuum ports, and you dont need a big spark to power your engine, the stock SVDA dizzy is a great call, and when coupled to a quality electronic ignition conversion, they are fantastic. Thats what I'm using in my bus, the SVDA with a GTech system.
Thanks Tony Z

I will follow the advice given ,i was about to huy a 009 dizzy .

Or maybe i should get it any and keep as a spare
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

A 009 does do a job, (not a China item) yes there are better moddern dizzies out there, big $$$. The moment you change stock carburation to a set of dual carbs the vacume signal is no longer what it needs to be, unless you plumb the carbs to have a vacume port on each cylinder then the stock dizzy vacume advance is out the window, or have a carb modified to work with a weaker vac signal and able to cope with pulsing due to not having a signal from all 4 ports, then a pulsing valve is required as well. One thing to keep in mind the vac advance is to advance the timing at crusing speeds to reduce consumption. Other thing that affect the vacume signal is the cam, a cam with a lot of overlap will generate little vac untill revs are high.
I have used German 009 and 010 with and without electronic conversions with good results, on Kadrons, ICT's & DRlA's.
The moment you fit dual carbs the consumption will go up...... guaranteed, because the urge to hear the carb growll is too tempting, but in essance a proper dual carb setup done properly and not driven like its stolen should actually give you better fuel consumption as its more effecient than the trottled stock carb.
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
TheRookie
Oil Leak
South Africa

Post by TheRookie »

calooker wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:56 am A 009 does do a job, (not a China item) yes there are better moddern dizzies out there, big $$$. The moment you change stock carburation to a set of dual carbs the vacume signal is no longer what it needs to be, unless you plumb the carbs to have a vacume port on each cylinder then the stock dizzy vacume advance is out the window, or have a carb modified to work with a weaker vac signal and able to cope with pulsing due to not having a signal from all 4 ports, then a pulsing valve is required as well. One thing to keep in mind the vac advance is to advance the timing at crusing speeds to reduce consumption. Other thing that affect the vacume signal is the cam, a cam with a lot of overlap will generate little vac untill revs are high.
I have used German 009 and 010 with and without electronic conversions with good results, on Kadrons, ICT's & DRlA's.
The moment you fit dual carbs the consumption will go up...... guaranteed, because the urge to hear the carb growll is too tempting, but in essance a proper dual carb setup done properly and not driven like its stolen should actually give you better fuel consumption as its more effecient than the trottled stock carb.
MY Dellortos only has one vaccuum nipple on the one carb .

Will this be enough vacuum to advance timing. The vacuum port is on the left carb and the right carb doesnt have one
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Do you have big balancing nipples on your manifolds

As twin carbs work better with a balance pipe between them.

If you have, it will be OK with only one vacuum nipple.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
TheRookie
Oil Leak
South Africa

Post by TheRookie »

retrovan wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:49 am Do you have big balancing nipples on your manifolds

Herman
No balancing nipples on intakes . Just the one nipple on the one carb .

Will give itva try once fitted .

I when i had my webers 20 years ago and still very inexperienced. I fitted them and the webers had no vacuum nipple. So i didnt hook up the vacuum hose. The car revved clean with no problems but when we went for a drive it went nowhere. Had to borrow a 009 from my cousin🙈🙈🙈
calooker
Donor
Donor

Post by calooker »

retrovan wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:49 am Do you have big balancing nipples on your manifolds

Herman
Not quite with twin choke DRLA or IDFs
calooker
Donor
Donor

Post by calooker »

TheRookie wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:10 pm
calooker wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:56 am A 009 does do a job, (not a China item) yes there are better moddern dizzies out there, big $$$. The moment you change stock carburation to a set of dual carbs the vacume signal is no longer what it needs to be, unless you plumb the carbs to have a vacume port on each cylinder then the stock dizzy vacume advance is out the window, or have a carb modified to work with a weaker vac signal and able to cope with pulsing due to not having a signal from all 4 ports, then a pulsing valve is required as well. One thing to keep in mind the vac advance is to advance the timing at crusing speeds to reduce consumption. Other thing that affect the vacume signal is the cam, a cam with a lot of overlap will generate little vac untill revs are high.
MY Dellortos only has one vaccuum nipple on the one carb .

Will this be enough vacuum to advance timing. The vacuum port is on the left carb and the right carb doesnt have one
I tried to get around this by using the vacume can and anti pulse valve from an Alfa 33 where the dellorto carbs came off, couldn"t notice a differance, then went as far as modifing the Alfa dizzy to fit the beetle engine but could not get it to run proprerly. If you have a non China 009 run it.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

calooker wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:11 pm ..... Not quite with twin choke DRLA or IDFs
Not wanting an argument but also trying to learn......

No expert but have found that all twin Carbs (not single twin chokes) work better with a balance pipe between them as it takes out the pulsing and helps to remove flat spots.(even on motor bikes)

If you have 2 twin choke carbs, (one barrel for each cylinder) then its the same as having 4 single carbs so they should be joined by balance tube. And each choke must have a vacuum port.

If cruising with two, two stage carb's, the 1st stages open and the 2nd stages closed it will work exactly the same as a single twin carb, so wanting a balance tube to smooth out the run of the engine.

Well thats my opinion from experimentation, but will listen to the experts.

Matter of intrest, I have had a few engine builders say to me that you can not get carbs to run right, have fitted twin carbs and have a flat spot somewhere in the rev range, , I advice to then is that you drill and fit balance pipes to each manifold, and drill and t all the chokes of the carbs with vacuum pipes and the flat spot will be gone.

VW has a vacuum dizzy that works on 4 strokes (cylinders) to give a balanced vacuum, why would you think you can get a smooth vacuum from one or even two.....

Herman

PS;= Interesting reading...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=522436
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc