Licensing Buggy

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
keithm18@gmail.com
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy
South Africa

Licensing Buggy

Post by keithm18@gmail.com »

Hi All.

So after much work the buggy is going, time to make it road legal.

Will try to be clear.

I have the registration papers from the guy who it's currently registered to in Natal. License is expired end of 2020 but he can get me a valid one.

The papers has a Vin number, but I changed the pan to a new one which doesn't have a number. There is no number or chassis plate on the old pan either.

The engine has changed and no police clearance done so the actual engine number is different from what's on the papers.

I believe I know most of what's needed but am confused about the order.

Was thinking the following:

1) make up a chassis plate for the pan matching the numbers on the paper or stamping onto the pan.
2) data dotting engine and pan (can they do this without papers?)
3) Going to licensing department to get the RPC then going to get police clearance
4) roadworthy
5) filing change of ownership.

I could also do an application for it being made up of various parts. I have lots of slips for that... But I did the work and the welding etc etc...

I could also register a modified vehicle..

I stay in Benoni so the police clearance yard is only a few k's away...

The papers I have are the original "VW" papers of that makes any difference.

Thanks as always.

Sent from my STK-L21 using Tapatalk

Last edited by keithm18@gmail.com on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Re: Licensing Buggy

Post by sean »

Hi.

You must endure the disk is updated first, a transfer can’t happen with expired disk.

As mentioned, you need to stamp the vin number on the chassis. This is not legal, so if you going to do it, it must be stamped and painted in a way that they can’t see it was recently done. Remember these guys look at vin numbers and thieves work all day and can very easily identify tampering. If they find an issue, your vehicle will be impounded.

Everything else you mention is correct, but you must get the RPC form from the traffic department, then go to micro dotting and then to police clearance. You can’t do micro-dotting without an RPC form.
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Oh, i forgot to mention the engine. You will need to provide them proof where you got that engine from as it doesn’t match the papers.
keithm18@gmail.com
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy
South Africa

Post by keithm18@gmail.com »

sean wrote:Oh, i forgot to mention the engine. You will need to provide them proof where you got that engine from as it doesn’t match the papers.
The engine was in the buggy when I bought it... So that might be a bit tricky...

Sent from my STK-L21 using Tapatalk

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

you can pay for the expired license at the counter when applying for a RPC - just make sure you have a letter and ID from the previous owner saying that you biught the car and have his full permission to pay any outdated license costs.

Engine number, just say that you bought it cash from Gumtree for R2000 - they cant prove you wrong. As long as the engine number isnt registered as stolen then they cant impound the vehicle.
Or just tell them the truth, it was in the car when you bought it. Again, if it isnt listed as stolen, then it'll be fine.